PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu like other windows Application

justwild
January 28th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I have tried to search for softwares like wubi which provide ubuntu installation like windows applications...but found one called Unetbootin, which I don't like because it is installed in the windows partiition. So, My question is there any such application like that of wubi,...which loads ubuntu from window boot manager.
AND
Please don't suggest Virtual machines!!!

critin
January 28th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I have tried to search for softwares like wubi which provide ubuntu installation like windows applications...but found one called Unetbootin, which I don't like because it is installed in the windows partiition. So, My question is there any such application like that of wubi,...which loads ubuntu from window boot manager.
AND
Please don't suggest Virtual machines!!!

Unetbootin is an application that let's you copy/burn a downloaded iso to a usb stick or cd --creating a live os for installing the OS to any partition of your choice-- it isn't installing the os inside windows partition--that's what Wubi does.

Wubi is the only one I'm aware of to provide
ubuntu installation like windows applications.If you don't want to use Wubi, you'll need to burn a live os and install it on a separate partition.

Megaptera
January 28th, 2012, 09:03 AM
The Linux Mint version of Wubi is called Mint4Win, described here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/20079/install-linux-mint-on-your-windows-computer-or-netbook/

The two accomplish the same thing ... so as critin - I don't know of any others.

2F4U
January 28th, 2012, 09:10 AM
For Ubuntu there is just Wubi. Any particular reason why you are looking for something different? Or are you looking for a Wubi equivalent for other Linux distributions?