PDA

View Full Version : What would be the best editor please, for learning HTML/Javascript?

cliveT
January 28th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Hi Guys

I`m thinking of starting some beginners tutorials in HTML and then maybe after that some tutorials in Javascript. Ultimately to write some ECMAscript so that I can write some script in a CAD program.

I`m starting right at the beginning -having never done anything like this before!

My questions are:
1. What would be the best editor to use for this in Ubuntu 11.10.

2.Am I on the right track, all the things I have read so far have said that it is best to learn HTML first followed by -Javascript then use this knowledge to learn ECMAscript -is this correct?

Regards

Clive

CharlesA
January 28th, 2012, 01:38 AM
I use Bluefish for coding my website. There is no "best" editor out there, it all depends on what you need it for.

Javascript is overrated. I'd throw PHP in there somewhere tho.

Isn't ECMAScript is the same as Javascript?

rewyllys
January 28th, 2012, 02:07 AM
I use Bluefish for coding my website. There is no "best" editor out there, it all depends on what you need it for.

Isn't ECMAScript is the same as Javascript?
I second the recommendation of Bluefish. It works quite nicely for me.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
January 28th, 2012, 08:04 AM

I used to think that too. However, Javascript engines in modern browsers are so efficient, that you can do some really amazing and powerful things with javascript. I definitely am not a javascript hater anymore. My job has opened my eyes.

I've always just used whatever text-editor I enjoyed at the time. On Windows I use notepad++, on Linux it's gedit. At work I use Visual studio and I like things about it and hate things about it at the same time. It's performance is definitely not consistent.

flaneurism
January 28th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Back when I was dealing with HTML, I always used SeaMonkey Composer. It's fairly straightforward, and I like that it has the option for a WYSIWYG editor mode as well.

cliveT
January 28th, 2012, 12:37 PM
OK -thanks guys, I`ll try out gedit and see how I get on.

equilni
January 28th, 2012, 01:36 PM
You can use gEdit as an IDE as shown here: micahcarrick.com/gedit-html-editor.html

CharlesA
January 29th, 2012, 05:22 AM
I used to think that too. However, Javascript engines in modern browsers are so efficient, that you can do some really amazing and powerful things with javascript. I definitely am not a javascript hater anymore. My job has opened my eyes.

I've always just used whatever text-editor I enjoyed at the time. On Windows I use notepad++, on Linux it's gedit. At work I use Visual studio and I like things about it and hate things about it at the same time. It's performance is definitely not consistent.

I don't really hate it, per se, but I haven't had a use for it on my site. ;) Good point too. ;)