PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to get rid of Motion Sickness from an elevator?

TheNerdAL
January 27th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Today was my first day at my first job. I deliver foods for people working in the Chevron building in Houston Texas. And I have to use the elevator a lot for that. There are 2 buildings. One has 40 floors, one has 50.

I had to leave early today because I felt nauseous due to riding the elevator a lot.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this?

CharlesA
January 27th, 2012, 11:38 PM
See a doctor, first off.

There are over the counter stuff to deal with it, but I'd go with see a doctor first.

Gremlinzzz
January 28th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Ginger for motion sickness but i kind of liked Maryann:popcorn:

lisati
January 28th, 2012, 01:10 AM
See a doctor, first off.

There are over the counter stuff to deal with it, but I'd go with see a doctor first.

+1, just in case it's something that needs attention.

Although you might be able to get a few good ideas here, we can't assure you of the quality of advice.

3rdalbum
January 28th, 2012, 01:41 AM
The Mythbusters got good results from Ginger pills. If they don't work for you, see the doctor. Your employer might need you to see a doctor anyway.

KiwiNZ
January 28th, 2012, 02:14 AM
I am a long term sailor and never get motion sickness. It is caused by the Brain not seeing what it is feeling, this is why the best way to deal with sea sickness( motion sickness) is to on deck and watch the horizon. Your brain can then center your brain.

When you are in the Elevator do not look down, watch the walls or the button page, thus your brain can see the horizon.

TheNerdAL
January 28th, 2012, 02:58 AM
I am a long term sailor and never get motion sickness. It is caused by the Brain not seeing what it is feeling, this is why the best way to deal with sea sickness( motion sickness) is to on deck and watch the horizon. Your brain can then center your brain.

When you are in the Elevator do not look down, watch the walls or the button page, thus your brain can see the horizon.

I will try that.

I've never been motion sick from an elevator until today since the buildings are 40-50 stories and I had to go to the top today.

mips
January 28th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Take the stairs, will also get you nice and fit :tongue:

Try KiwiNZ advice and then you can try Ginger as suggested by Gremlinzzz. Both these options don't require a drugs.

haqking
January 28th, 2012, 09:30 AM
suck a boiled sweet or a mint.

when i was in the military guys used to get it all the time in the hercules (aircraft) similar thing and also in the balloon (for training jumps) sucking on a sweet or mint prevents it, never known it not to work.

Give it a go.

oh and yeah as kiwinz says, definately keep looking straight ahead

Peace

HermanAB
January 28th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I agree with KiwiNZ - I spend some time on yachts too. NEVER look up. Try not to look down. Keep you chin up and stare horizontally only. That ensures that your ears, eyes and ankles send the same data to your brain (yes, there are balance receptors in your ankles too!).

You can try ginger tea - some people swear by it, but pretty much every sailor seems to have his own remedy, which usually includes copious quantities of alcohol...

TheNerdAL
January 28th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I'm going to try looking straight ahead at all times. And I'll buy Ginger Gum, which I heard works, just in case. Thanks!

forrestcupp
January 28th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I agree with going to the doctor. It could be one of many other things that would be very important to address. It could be something like high blood pressure or Meniere's disease, which is an inner ear thing. I'd definitely at least have my blood pressure checked if I were you. You can usually check that for free in Walmart or a chain pharmacy store.