PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] auto login not working after logout

ProntoAnthony
January 27th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I have a desktop and a laptop running 11.10. Both have just 2 users configured, Anthony and backup. User Anthony is set for auto-login.
When I logout of my laptop, a login page appears with the password field set to LOGIN. I simply click and I'm logged in as I'd expect.

Likewise, when I boot my desktop I'm logged in automatically to the Anthony account. When I logout the password field is blank. Clicking to login causes the system to respond with "invalid password." Sure, I can key in the password and login successfully, but why must I enter a password in those cases?

I even tried setting the backup account to auto-login and going through the process. The desktop system responded the same incorrect manner, requiring a password upon login.

How do I fix this problem?

Krytarik
January 27th, 2012, 08:39 PM
That's because the user "Anthony" is apparently set to 'no password on login' in one system, but not in the other. Unfortunately, as of now, Gnome 3 doesn't offer that option via its "User Accounts" tool, but you can manually add the concerning user to the group "nopasswdlogin" via command line; in your case:

sudo usermod -a -G nopasswdlogin anthonyRegards.

ProntoAnthony
January 27th, 2012, 08:44 PM
That worked.

THANK YOU!!