PDA

View Full Version : favorite linux or opensource magazine/publication?

cptjaben
June 8th, 2006, 12:18 AM
hey, i'm thinking about subscribing to a magazine dealing with linux or opensource and i'd like to know if anyone has a favorite magazine or publication or any advice on this subject.

thanks,
cptjaben

Nano Geek
June 8th, 2006, 12:23 AM
You can get Tux Magazine (http://www.tuxmagazine.com/) for free after you register with them.

G Morgan
June 8th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Linux Format is my favourite.

aysiu
June 8th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Another vote for Linux Format.

professor_chaos
June 8th, 2006, 12:54 AM
linux journal

ComplexNumber
June 8th, 2006, 01:12 AM
another vote for Linux Format here.

Jucato
June 8th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Tux Magazine. Unfortunately I have not found any local store that sells Linux or FLOSS related magazines.

Linux Format is a paid-for subscription, right?

ComplexNumber
June 8th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Linux Format is a paid-for subscription, right? its possible to subscribe, yes. but you can also buy it over the counter at retail outlets..

Jucato
June 8th, 2006, 03:16 AM
How I wish I could. Like I've said, major magazine stands I've been through don't have any, and I mean any, Linux related mag. If I found one, that would be the first magazine that I would really buy regularly (not really a fan of magazines).

Until then, I'm stuck with the free ones.
Any other good free magazines online, aside from TUX?

ComplexNumber
June 8th, 2006, 03:42 AM
How I wish I could. Like I've said, major magazine stands I've been through don't have any, and I mean any, Linux related mag. If I found one, that would be the first magazine that I would really buy regularly (not really a fan of magazines).

Until then, I'm stuck with the free ones.
Any other good free magazines online, aside from TUX?
what do you mean by "how i wish i could"? accoding to this (http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/home/mpurchase.asp?m=793&src=W021), the philippines are catered for.

Jucato
June 8th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Hmm... if I'm not mistaken, the site you linked to offers a service to ship Linux Format DVDs. Anyway, I'm also not able to do online transactions for some financial reasons. :(

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. :)

ComplexNumber
June 8th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Hmm... if I'm not mistaken, the site you linked to offers a service to ship Linux Format DVDs. Anyway, I'm also not able to do online transactions for some financial reasons. :(

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. :)
well, if they can ship the dvd to the philippines, then they can sure ship the magazine. that was my reasoning.

Jucato
June 8th, 2006, 05:35 AM
I see. I guess they could, but probably only if you order it. But as far as distributing it to local vendors, I'm not so sure.

cptjaben
June 9th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks for all the information guys, i think i will try linux format for a while.
i would enjoy hearing what other people have to say as well, please leave your opinion.

Thanks,
cptjaben

Michael_aust
June 9th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Well my favourite pay for magazines are Linux Format which I have subscribed to for two years. The other two Linux mags I can get Linux Magazine and Linux User & Developer dont seme to be very good from when I have browsed through them. The included dvd's contain no where near as much as the Linux format ones. They usually just contain one distro, ok so if your shipping Debian its understdable that you only sip one distribution on the cd as its two dvd's but if its ubuntu there is plents of room left on the dvd. Linux formats dvd is packaed pretty tight with mutliple distros and applications, not to mention the latest kernel sources and documentation.

My two favourte free online magazines are Tux magazine (www.tuxmagazine.com) and Free Software Magazine (www.freesoftwaremagazine.com)

dada1958
June 9th, 2006, 12:48 AM
I like Linux Format a lot.

BWF89
June 9th, 2006, 03:10 AM
I read Free Software Magazine, it's not physical but you can download the PDF every month and I guess if you didn't care about ink could print it up.

Imexius
June 9th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Linux Format here, although I think their distro rating system is flawed (They gave Slackware 10.2 a 7/10).

cptjaben
June 11th, 2006, 06:25 PM
does Linux format have a printed edition or just on dvd?

ComplexNumber
June 11th, 2006, 08:29 PM
does Linux format have a printed edition or just on dvd?
i'm not quite sure what you mean. the magazine is printed, but that comes with a dvd with software on it inside the magazine.

julie_lebou
April 17th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I'm looking to subscribe to a cool linux magazine. I've seen some magazine that looks pretty good, like ''Linux pro Magazine'' where you seem to get a live cd of a different/new distro each month? Anyways, thats really interresting, I like to try stuff, and I also want a magazine that talks about the latest distros, latest linux news... programs and so on. Any suggestions?
Edit/Delete Message

notwen
September 20th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Anyone recommend a state-side Linux publication that would be wort my while? I've been a loyal subscriber to Linux Journal for the past 2 years and this past year they've distanced themselves from basic home users. I've considered subscribing to Linux Format but being around $180/year it's a lot more than I'm wanting to pay. Any suggestions for a publication that would contain Linux/Open source content with some topics aimed at the home user?

bone2006
October 14th, 2007, 08:03 PM
what's going on with tux magazine? I couldn't find anything more recent than december 2006, did they stop making issues?