PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thoroughly Disgusted with Oneric

60cents
January 27th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I've been a Ubuntu user since version 6 and I have never had as many problems as I have now trying to upgrade from version 10.10 to 11.10.
I got 11.10 installed and used it for a few days. It takes a bit of fiddling with to get used to the new interface and I really prefer the previous version 10.10. But I'll probably stick with Oneric. After a few days of working with Oneric, I suddenly got the message "could not update ICEauthority" To make a long story short, my efforts to fix the problem, from reading posts in this forum, have resulted in no longer being able to boot Test Ubuntu from my USB stick. I suspect corrupt files on my stick but have no idea how that could have happened. Thinking back my problems may have started when I tried to update Flash??? That didn't go well. When I first had problems I tried to load previous versions from the boot menu. That didnt work either as I got the new version log in screen. That was apparently a safe mode login.

Looks like I have to start over and get a fresh copy of Oneric but I think I will start with trying to go back to 10.10.

Maybe someone has a better suggestion

Frogs Hair
January 27th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I think a clean installation of 11.10 is a good idea if you want to use it . 10.10 reaches EOL in April and may not be worth the effort . 10. 04 will have support until 2013 and a direct upgrade to 12.04 will be possible because they are both LTS releases . Having attempted one upgrade I will never do it again . A clean installation takes less time for me than than trying to fix a broken upgrade .

60cents
January 27th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks Frogs hair
Actually I didn't do an upgrade.
I downloaded the full version to my usb stick and installed from that. I just ordered the CD's from Linux.org but think I will try to download Oneric again and see what happens. At least I will have those as backups.

It would be helpful if someone could help understand what might have happened so I don't make the same mistake again.

Ol'manScratch
March 12th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I am very disgusted with Oneric. I despise the launcher because it pops out any time I come close to the right edge of the screen - except when I want it and then I have to **** with it. Also, I was used to being able to do the tasks I need in the prior Ubuntu releases, but with this one I have to search for what I want and then figure out how to make it do what I need it to do.
Not so with Oneric!
The simplest tasks now take extraordinary efforts to accomplish and I'm sick of it. Almost 5 months into this release and I still can't figure out why I can't see secondary windows. The ALT -TAB only shows one window and they are hidden under the primary window. I know I'm not an advanced user, but I've spent hours and hours trying to figure this out.
All in all, I'm ready to go back to Windows. I think the developers tried to do too much for advanced users and not enough for the average user.

TBABill
March 12th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Did you try Lubuntu...Xubuntu...Kubuntu? One may be much more to your liking.

kurt18947
March 12th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I am very disgusted with Oneric. I despise the launcher because it pops out any time I come close to the right edge of the screen - except when I want it and then I have to **** with it. Also, I was used to being able to do the tasks I need in the prior Ubuntu releases, but with this one I have to search for what I want and then figure out how to make it do what I need it to do.
Not so with Oneric!
The simplest tasks now take extraordinary efforts to accomplish and I'm sick of it. Almost 5 months into this release and I still can't figure out why I can't see secondary windows. The ALT -TAB only shows one window and they are hidden under the primary window. I know I'm not an advanced user, but I've spent hours and hours trying to figure this out.
All in all, I'm ready to go back to Windows. I think the developers tried to do too much for advanced users and not enough for the average user.

If being able to access additional windows/applications is your primary problem, you might consider installing tint2 from the repositories and add it to the startup. That should get you a lower panel on which will appear open windows and applications. I agree with you about Unity's method of switching windows. Tint2 also has a hidden configuration file (ctrl-h in nautilus will reveal hidden files) to change defaults. Installing Xfce4-desktop from the repositories might also be an option for you. I personally prefer Gnome (shell) to Unity but different strokes for different folks.