PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install 11.10-64bit and then stop at LTS?

Azyx
January 27th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I have now a 10.04LTS 32-bit, but 4GB RAM, so I wonder if I can install 11.10-64bit and then upgrade to 12.04LTS, and then stop there and just upgrade to LTS-realeses?

2F4U
January 27th, 2012, 06:58 PM
You can go that route, if you want. But is there a compelling reason to do so? You could also wait until 12.04 comes out and then do a fresh installation. Upgrading doesn't always work as expected. Since you have to do one fresh installation since you want to go 64 bit, I would wait until 12.04 comes out.

Paddy Landau
January 27th, 2012, 06:59 PM
You can.

However...

Why don't you wait until 12.04 is released? If you wait until about a month after its release, the major teething problems would have been solved, and you won't have to go through a upgrade as well as an installation.

Clean installations usually are more reliable than upgrades; as you are wanting to stick with LTS, I presume that you want stability.

In the Update Manager, click on Settings > Updates > Show new distribution releases > Long term support releases only.

haqking
January 27th, 2012, 07:00 PM
LTS will upgrade to LTS.

However a clean install with data backup is always preferred.

Also test the new product first before wiping and installing as it saves posts on here about the new product not being what or how you expected ;-)

peace

WasMeHere
January 27th, 2012, 07:06 PM
You can.

However...

Why don't you wait until 12.04 is released? If you wait until about a month after its release, the major teething problems would have been solved, and you won't have to go through a upgrade as well as an installation.

Clean installations usually are more reliable than upgrades; as you are wanting to stick with LTS, I presume that you want stability.

In the Update Manager, click on Settings > Updates > Show new distribution releases > Long term support releases only.
+1

But if you want to get accustomed to Unity, I suggest that you run 11.10 as a pilot project on a small partition alongside with your main system Ubuntu 10.04. You can keep that partition for future testing of new versions (or maybe to have access to newer versions of certain software or drivers when the LTS version is aging).

Azyx
January 27th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Yes I will wait until May or so because, PAE-kernel seems to works fine :)

Olle. Yes, I have 11.10 on a old machine to train on. I have found some applets and so.I begin to like Unity better and better :) , but it's little slow :(

Paddy Landau
January 27th, 2012, 08:20 PM
But if you want to get accustomed to Unity...
For someone wanting the stability of LTS, that's probably a bit too much. Unity is so easy that it takes only a couple of hours to get used to.

Paddy Landau
January 27th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Unity ... is little slow
If you have an older computer, you may want to experiment with Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/) (the old menu-driven interface, unfortunately, but less resource-hungry). Or for lightning speed, try Lubuntu (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu), but 12.04 Lubuntu won't be LTS.