PDA

View Full Version : What programming set up do you use e.g. for C++

chrigldigl
January 27th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been programming for a long time on linux with Kate (a great editor, no matter what anyone says :)) Recently, I started developing on my MacBook pro with MacVim, and iTerm2, a set up that I also really like. Plus, with Parallels you can emulate any operating system within a finger snap.

I'm curious to hear what set up you guys use, and why you think it's the most efficient.

The reason I ask is that I'm starting a new job, and I can choose between a Mac, Linux, or Windows workstation, and after my good experiences with Mac I'm a little undecided.

Let me hear those opinions! :)

Cheers, C

mips
January 27th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Plus, with Parallels you can emulate any operating system within a finger snap.

You mean virtualize ;)

chrigldigl
January 27th, 2012, 05:01 PM
yup :)

CharlesA
January 27th, 2012, 05:37 PM
vim works for me, but I am not doing programming as much as scripting.

forrestcupp
January 27th, 2012, 06:01 PM
If you have a choice, go with the Mac and triple boot with Linux and Windows. Getting the Mac is the only way you can have all three. When I'm rich, that's what I'm going to do. :)

cbennett926
January 27th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I run Eclipse for Java, and Code::Blocks for C/C++!

TeoBigusGeekus
January 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM
C fanboy here.
Vim, Geany (rarely), gcc, gdb, pen & paper.

3Miro
January 27th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I used to use Kate, but it is rather simple. Right now I mostly use Geany, but I can go for Code::Blocks too.

I do some game modding, then I use VirtualBox with Visual Studio (since it is the only option).

JDShu
January 27th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Cscope is great for exploring large codebases. I personally use it with emacs.

sujoy
January 27th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Emacs for most things.
Netbeans for J2EE stuffs.

And at work, Toad for PL/SQL :)

Primefalcon
January 27th, 2012, 07:28 PM
vim works for me, but I am not doing programming as much as scripting.
your going into murky territory there, I've been in a lot of religous debates there...

some people call everything programming, others call everything scripting except assembly scripting (yes I've heard c writers called kiddy scripters lol).

Anyhow for me

I do PHP, HTML, CSS, Python, JavaScript, MySQL, BASH and some basic C++

And frankly I've tried a lot of different editors I keep coming back to a combination of GEdit and VIM, and though I do use IDLE for python when testing stuff as well as direct in terminal

forrestcupp
January 27th, 2012, 07:32 PM
some people call everything programming, others call everything scripting except assembly scripting (yes I've heard c writers called kiddy scripters lol).

If you're using a scripting language, like html, that doesn't have any code logic of its own, then you're not programming. ;)

Cookieh
January 27th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I use Python 3.2 for Python, for C++ I use Code::Blocks , Java I use Eclipse, HTML CSS & JavaScript I use just the basic GEdit....

Primefalcon
January 27th, 2012, 07:44 PM
If you're using a scripting language, like html, that doesn't have any code logic of its own, then you're not programming. ;)
Would you call simple markup scripting though?

CharlesA
January 27th, 2012, 07:46 PM
your going into murky territory there, I've been in a lot of religous debates there...

I mostly script in BASH (for now, at least), so that's not exactly programming. :P

I also use PHP, which is a programming language, but it's mostly used the same way I use BASH - conditional tests and whatnot. ;)

For web page coding, I use Bluefish and/or gedit.

EDIT: I wouldn't call markup scripts, but I would call it coding. :p

Primefalcon
January 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I dont see too much difference between bash and php tbh and if you call one scripting/programming then the other really has to be as well, you can output html pages using bash if you want to and you can use conditionals and loops and whatnot... and they both have their benifits

3Miro
January 27th, 2012, 09:10 PM

I would use scripting only to describe making a program in a scripting language (i.e. Python, PHP, Bash ...) C/C++ is programming and HTML is design. HTML is only visual, there is no algorithm beneath it, hence I put it in the category of "design".

There is also simple administration, that edits configuration text files and advanced administration that involves programming (most commonly Bash).

forrestcupp
January 27th, 2012, 09:15 PM

Good point. Probably not.

At one time, programming languages were ones that were compiled, while scripting languages were ones that were interpreted or run by some other type of program. But since a lot of "scripting" languages have become full blown, feature filled languages, the line is kind of blurred.

But back on topic, I think the main point of the OP was not what IDE to use, but should he choose a Mac, Linux, or Windows workstation for his new job. Maybe he wants to know both, though.

JDShu
January 27th, 2012, 09:21 PM
If we're talking operating systems for software development, I really think nothing beats Linux. It's just not as easy to get development packages on Windows and OS X.

MG&TL
January 27th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Geany for the initial code writing, Terminator/vim/make for the final build/tweaking.

I agree with Linux as #1 programming, I think the best bit is that you can immediately get the source of something to see how someone else did it.

As for code/script: I would tentatively say that I'm of the 'if it's interpreted, it's scripting, if compiled, you're coding' camp. :)

forrestcupp
January 27th, 2012, 10:35 PM
I actually have had a lot easier experiences programming in Windows than I have in Linux.

chrigldigl
January 28th, 2012, 07:41 PM
So if you could choose any computer with any combination of operating systems (dual/triple boot, emulators) what would it be? (always keeping the programming in mind of course)

chrigldigl
January 28th, 2012, 07:49 PM
If you have a choice, go with the Mac and triple boot with Linux and Windows. Getting the Mac is the only way you can have all three. When I'm rich, that's what I'm going to do. :)
That's an execellent point!

cgroza
January 28th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I use emacs. I can get all I want without ever leaving that window.

johnb820
January 28th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I actually have had a lot easier experiences programming in Windows than I have in Linux.

Care to elaborate? I find that hard to believe.

forrestcupp
January 28th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Care to elaborate? I find that hard to believe.

Visual Studio. It's the best and easiest IDE out there. But not just VS, everything is easier. I've used other IDEs in Linux and Windows, too, like Eclipse, and a lot of others.

In the Windows world, they make everything easier for you. Most of the Windows versions of toolkits and frameworks are made to just download and install. Then, either the installer sets up VS for you, or you just set VS to link to what you installed.

In Linux, it seems like you have to manually set everything up, and worry about configuring for compiling and creating Makefiles and stuff. I've programmed in a lot of different languages with a lot of different toolkits and frameworks in Linux and in Windows, and it's just easier in Windows.

The idea that programming is easier in Linux is a myth. They got it backwards. Linux is easier for programmers. ;)

chris200x9
January 29th, 2012, 02:53 AM
geany FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GEANY! (http://www.geany.org/)

best IDE ever just fgured out how to use tags for autocompletion when using external libraries...my favorite editer just got BETTER!

MG&TL
January 29th, 2012, 06:48 PM
geany FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GEANY! (http://www.geany.org/)

best IDE ever just fgured out how to use tags for autocompletion when using external libraries...my favorite editer just got BETTER!

Off-topic: how DO you do that? I've been trying for ages.

cbennett926
February 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM
So if you could choose any computer with any combination of operating systems (dual/triple boot, emulators) what would it be? (always keeping the programming in mind of course)

ThinkPad T520,

Two hard drives,

one with Windows

The other with Linux!

cbennett926
February 3rd, 2012, 09:09 AM
[quote=forrestcupp;11647549
the idea that programming is easier in linux is a myth. They got it backwards. Linux is easier for programmers. ;)[/quote]

+1!!!!

doobrie
February 3rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
I use Eclipse for Java, vi for C++ and Visual Studio for C#. Both Java and C++ are on Linux, VS is on Windows.

I would say that you should choose an operating system that fits what you are going to program the best.

In my opinion, if you want to develop Windows apps, use Windows. If you want to develop Linux or cross platform apps (including web apps), go with Linux.

The Mac looks nice, but it doesn't have the tools that Linux has, although you can virtualixe Linux or Windows on it.

forrestcupp
February 3rd, 2012, 01:45 PM
The Mac looks nice, but it doesn't have the tools that Linux has, although you can virtualixe Linux or Windows on it.

Unless you would ever want to develop iOS apps. Then you have to have a Mac. And you can triple boot to full Linux and Windows OSs if you don't want to virtualize.

doobrie
February 3rd, 2012, 01:51 PM
Unless you would ever want to develop iOS apps. Then you have to have a Mac. And you can triple boot to full Linux and Windows OSs if you don't want to virtualize.

Yeah, but try running a Java 5 or 7 app on a Mac and you'll realize that its not the best for Java development unfortunately.

I used to develop on a Mac, but found it too restrictive and moved to Linux. I don't develop iOS apps which would be the only reason for me to develop on a Mac.