PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] grub altered

KRISHNASHK
January 27th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I updated ubuntu using the ubuntu manager. after the update i am getting new grub entry for ubuntu? m confused how did that happen how should i delete it and will deleting it hamper my system . I am using dual boot with windows 7?
thanks !

zvacet
January 27th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Probably new kernel is installed with updates and that is why you have new line in grub.See if that kernel works and if it does you can delete old kernela from synaptic by typing in search box linux-image and you will see all installed kernels.Delete one with lower number(maybe it is good practice to have two kernels in case newest doesn´t work as it should).Do the same with older kernel-headers.

raja.genupula
January 27th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I updated ubuntu using the ubuntu manager. after the update i am getting new grub entry for ubuntu? m confused how did that happen how should i delete it and will deleting it hamper my system . I am using dual boot with windows 7?
thanks !
When new kernel updates ,you install . your grub will automatically update it after configuration of new kernel finished .you can see that Grub updating while new kernel installing .

You said you wanna delete Kernel , but old kernel or kernel . If you delete new kernel no use of updating i think . If you wanna delete old kernel then follow above post as our friend said.

after the update i am getting new grub entry for ubuntu? m confused how did that happen how should i delete it

If you wanna delete the Grub entry kernels then the easiest way i can suggest you is moving with grub customizer . there you can select what grub entries you wanna see what you wanna hide in Grub Menu .
Dont delete New Kernels .

Dont worry nothing will happen to your Windows 7 .

All the best .