PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade?

B-Mart
January 27th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Hey everyone, I am currently using Lucid, and I was considering an upgrade to 11.10, mainly just because of the fact that a lot of things didn't work properly due to my laptop being newer when I got ubuntu installed. For example, if I update anything, I have to run an Alsa update script I downloaded just to get my sound working again. It's annoying.

I'm mainly posting because I wanted some thoughts and opinions on switching from the LTS to one of the other builds, like "What's the difference?" or "Are the other versions supported after another is released?" If you would like specs on my drivers and whatnot...I kindof forgot the terminal code...sooooo....if you could just give it over if you want to give advice, let me know.

I'd really like to try a newer version and play around with it, the fact is ubuntu is one of the funner experience I've had on a computer, and would like to progress along with it.

mastablasta
January 27th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Hey everyone, I am currently using Lucid, and I was considering an upgrade to 11.10, mainly just because of the fact that a lot of things didn't work properly due to my laptop being newer when I got ubuntu installed. For example, if I update anything, I have to run an Alsa update script I downloaded just to get my sound working again. It's annoying.

use the Alsa PPA instead of script. that way no need to run anything on updates.

I'm mainly posting because I wanted some thoughts and opinions on switching from the LTS to one of the other builds, like "What's the difference?" or "Are the other versions supported after another is released?" If you would like specs on my drivers and whatnot...I kindof forgot the terminal code...sooooo....if you could just give it over if you want to give advice, let me know.

I'd really like to try a newer version and play around with it, the fact is ubuntu is one of the funner experience I've had on a computer, and would like to progress along with it.
why not try and play arround, but you can do that safely with a liveCD or liveUSB. as for what is different you can read release notes and such:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricOcelot

or check out the manual for new version:
https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/ubuntu-help/index.html