PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else out there using TeamVeiwer?

cptrohn
January 27th, 2012, 01:19 AM
I just started a new job as a tech2 and we use Macbook pro's in the IT department, (of course I do have ubuntu on VMware though lol) But what I thought was really cool is that they use an application called teamViewer to be able to remote into the users machines at work (we are also supporting XP as well some Mac clients there) So I got to see today how they are remoting into the XP boxes from the Mac machines with the TeamViewer got to admit it is pretty darn slick, you can remote into any environment using it and it is completely cross-platform and has a linux version available too (already in a deb file)

They do have a free version that I am using at home in case I have to remote into the machines at work. Pretty freaking slick piece of software really check it out if you get the chance, especially if you are the family IT support guy too... The REALLY cool thing about it is that it also has Ipad/Iphone versions and Android versions too.

Not trying to get anybody to buy anything so please don't think I am spamming the board or anything like that, I've been a member here for a while..

Just thought it could be something very, very useful for the community since it does have linux support and you can get it for free.

here is the link if anybody wants to play with it.:) http://teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

ubudog
January 27th, 2012, 01:26 AM
I use it a bit, but I prefer OpenVPN. :)

JayKay3OOO
January 27th, 2012, 01:36 AM
I use it for remote support for clients because most of them are not tec heads and this software is idiot proof to setup.

I still need to do more testing Linux to windows as different versions don't seem to connect to each other properly, but I have windows so it's OK.

I think it runs under wine in Linux anyway (even the Linux version) so I might try using the newest Windows version). Luckily I can do internal testing... ...in the morning :)

But it would be handy to be able to do it from my Linux PC.

CharlesA
January 27th, 2012, 01:39 AM
*raises hand*

I use it to help my Aunt out.

Other then that, I don't really use it. If I need remote access, I'll use SSH.

ubudog
January 27th, 2012, 01:45 AM
*raises hand*

I use it to help my Aunt out.

Other then that, I don't really use it. If I need remote access, I'll use SSH.

About the exact same situation here. :D

Supermouse
January 27th, 2012, 02:29 AM
as I just said in other topic, I use it extensively, and I think it's a pretty fine piece of software. As they already launched TV 7 for LInux, there is no compatiblity problems, so I can easily guive tech support to the Windows statios I take care from my Linux box. Also, no messing with routers or firewalls.

JustinR
January 27th, 2012, 03:49 AM
I use it from time to time. It is really a nice piece of software, especially when they offer a free version with such an amount of features built in.

Although the Linux version is just the windows version packaged in Wine, it runs beautifully on Linux.

varunendra
January 27th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Just thought it could be something very, very useful for the community since it does have linux support and you can get it for free.
Yup! I use it and I believe it is quite popular here or anywhere among tech-support guys. We even had a multipage thread in UFs when its first linux version was launched.

as I just said in other topic, I use it extensively, ....
Well.. if you really use it 'extensively' (the free version), you'll end up with "commercial use suspected!" problem. Although I figured out how to fix it, it was the first time I looked for alternatives. Found a few, although didn't get time to try one. Here are the links I bookmarked:
http://www.techbuzz.in/remote-desktop-applications.php
http://alternativeto.net/software/teamviewer/?license=opensource

Wouldn't it be great if we can have comments about comparative usability/features if someone has personal experience with any of these alternative ones? Like I am now thinking of giving OpenVPN a shot since ubudog 'prefers' it! :)

Supermouse
January 28th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Well.. if you really use it 'extensively' (the free version), you'll end up with "commercial use suspected!" problem.

Wouldn't it be great if we can have comments about comparative usability/features if someone has personal experience with any of these alternative ones? Like I am now thinking of giving OpenVPN a shot since ubudog 'prefers' it! :)

That's why I have a commercial license :D
I give tech support to a small business in the neighbour city as a freelancer, so I connect to many machines, and I needed an commercial license. The cool thing about TV is that with only one commercial license you can connect to any number of hosts. And, as I have an Premium license, I can use any machine to connect to the hosts.

Heck, earlier this week I was changing my workplace machine (I got a new one), and needed to move all my data, programs and configs from the old machine to the new, and I installed TeamViewer in both of them just so I wouldn't need to get up to change any setting...

Unfortunately I have no experience in using any of the free alternatives. I use TV mainly because the company that makes the software for the company I give support uses it too, and they showed the software to me. So, as all machines already had TV installed, I just followed...

Burstaholic
January 31st, 2012, 03:32 PM
I've found a Teamviewer host on Linux has a serious issue if you use the web client - it will not receive 'ENTER,' which makes working with a Linux machine very difficult (TeamViewer support has confirmed this as a known issue).

I'm assuming the people posting about using it successfully are using the standalone client application to connect, which I haven't tried.

So if the web client is the reason you're looking at TeamViewer, which it was for me, that won't get you very far on Linux. It seems the standalone app works fine though, so just be aware.

Linuxratty
February 1st, 2012, 01:41 AM
Tried screen sharing on it once...Froze Ubuntu like a block of ice.