PDA

View Full Version : What do you like about Gnome 3 ?

happymcc
January 26th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Having a Wonderful time with gnome 3
Love the shortcut in the upper left to switch between windows
Have had no problems to speak of
Like the favorite's launcher
And the App launcher
If you like it too please chime in and let us know what you like about it

cbowman57
January 26th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Took me no time to get comfortable with it, now don't want to use anything else.

GPilot
January 26th, 2012, 08:40 PM
The simplicity and power of just swiping your mouse up to the upper left corner seems to be my favorite feature of Gnome 3, it is intuitive and quick!

kurt18947
January 26th, 2012, 09:12 PM
It's my default. The extensions are useful and the method to install them, I can't imagine anything easier. Shell need some love when it comes to systems settings though. For example, try to change default printer settings such as print quality or default paper tray.

happymcc
January 26th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Hi Chuck
Glad you got used to it
I Like it too and I said a few of the things I like about it
Then my question to you was what do you like about it ?
Please let us know why you are sticking with it
Keith

Took me no time to get comfortable with it, now don't want to use anything else.

cbowman57
January 26th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Hard for me to pinpoint what exactly it is that makes me like it.

Like you I like the hot corner, I use both top left & right.
I like how easy it is to theme.
It just feels intuitive, a little "sloppy" & forgiving.
Easy to add extensions that emulate gnome 2 functions.

ubudog
January 26th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Thread moved to the Community Cafe.

Best,
ubudog

happymcc
January 26th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I don't understand why are you moving threads
Gnome is not a Desktop environment ?
I think you guys are prejudice against Gnome
What is going on here ?

Thread moved to the Community Cafe.

Best,
ubudog

Jaxke
January 26th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Well, I definitely liked Gn2 more. Gnome3 is good(better than Unity!), but it wasn't so...clean. And I miss the old applications drop-down menu. I found no way to add shortcuts on my desktop. Currently rocking with KDE, and it's my favorite so far! :guitar::guitar:

cariboo
January 26th, 2012, 11:15 PM
I don't understand why are you moving threads
Gnome is not a Desktop environment ?
I think you guys are prejudice against Gnome
What is going on here ?

This isn't a support question, it is more of an opinion piece, therefore it was moved from the support section.

OGpmpdog
January 26th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Gnome3 Likes:

1) awesome to see all open panes without having to "tab" each one

2) The Super button to switch between Search and open desktop.

3) Feels like cutting edge technology; as a matter of fact, and I know Gnome2 fans are gonna roast me, it's hard to go back to gnome 2 after youve gotten used to gnome 3

4) The extensions are impressive, considering that Gnome3 is still in infancy

5) Unlimited potential to customize desktop

Gnome3 dislikes:

1) Requires decent graphics card, or operation will be sluggish as heyo

2) Frustrating to arrange panels side-by-side to drag and drop

3) I still want to move status panel from top-to-bottom

4) Do I apply tweaks with Ubuntu Tweak, Advanced Settings, or Compiz?

The dislikes are hardly deal-breakers:D

happymcc
January 27th, 2012, 12:27 AM
When you say you use the Top left and right
Do you mean the right bottom ?

Hard for me to pinpoint what exactly it is that makes me like it.

Like you I like the hot corner, I use both top left & right.
I like how easy it is to theme.
It just feels intuitive, a little "sloppy" & forgiving.
Easy to add extensions that emulate gnome 2 functions.

cbowman57
January 27th, 2012, 12:34 AM
No, upper left & upper right.

BigSilly
January 27th, 2012, 09:49 AM

Same here. It's still my current favourite DE. Fast, intuitive, pretty. I love the layout and design. It's pretty amazing really, certainly smarter than what I've seen of the Metro interface for W8 imho.

Docaltmed
January 27th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Are you guys talking about Gnome Shell? Because Unity is Gnome 3 as well.

DaveSF
January 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
teen forum (http://www.teenbar.net/showthread.php?518-Looking-for-a-forum-help-oriented-Ubuntu-version) Having a Wonderful time with gnome 3
Love the shortcut in the upper left to switch between windows
Have had no problems to speak of
Like the favorite's launcher
And the App launcher
If you like it too please chime in and let us know what you like about it

That is just the best visual improvement I've seen in years :)

Grenage
January 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Are you guys talking about Gnome Shell? Because Unity is Gnome 3 as well.

Talking about G3S, I'm a big fan. Fedora is on my main business PC at the moment, and I am getting on well with it. Fluid workflow for keyboard use, but also fine with a mouse when I have coffee in my hand*.

*Which is most of the time.

happymcc
January 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Hi Grenage
If your still there
I have messed with Fedora and it is the favorite OS of a good friend of mine he says its very Stable .
The trouble I have with it is installing all the 3rd party codex so every thing will work
Can you give me some hints there ?

Talking about G3S, I'm a big fan. Fedora is on my main business PC at the moment, and I am getting on well with it. Fluid workflow for keyboard use, but also fine with a mouse when I have coffee in my hand*.

*Which is most of the time.

ubudog
January 27th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Hi Grenage
If your still there
I have messed with Fedora and it is the favorite OS of a good friend of mine he says its very Stable .
The trouble I have with it is installing all the 3rd party codex so every thing will work
Can you give me some hints there ?

It would be best for you to start a new thread. ;)

happymcc
August 5th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Got tired of the politics here and the OS having to many glitchs , found
it no better than Windows OS Switched to Fedora using Gnome and am
very happy with it , would never switch back at this time .

neu5eeCh
August 5th, 2012, 07:28 PM
When I did use it, what did I like about it?

1.) Super Key: Searching for and calling up apps is much quicker and requires less keystrokes than in Unity.
2.) Ummm.... Nope. Got nothing else. Sorry.
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.)

vexorian
August 5th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Extensions can really customize it.

Although I must admit that later I figured out that with all those tweaks and extensions I was adding I was turning G3 into cinnamon :/

SysBoot
August 6th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Gnome 3 in my opinion is killing the Gnome Project. :/ Just a side note, They should have just improved on Gnome 2. It was very customize-able and the most amazing linux GUI to date in my opinion.

Mikeb85
August 6th, 2012, 06:29 AM
- Super key - launching apps is even quicker and easier than in Unity
- Stays out of the way - minimalist look that doesn't interfere with what I'm doing
- Quick and lightweight
- Dynamic workspaces
- Notification area
- Google and Wikipedia searches using super key

Honestly I like most things about Gnome 3. It's quick, easy to use (for me anyway, my wife would not approve, so her computer gets Unity), minimalist, and allows me to organize my work quite easily. The only thing I really wish for is an equivalent to Unity's dash, with lenses and such, and Unity's HUD...

Gnome 3 is also a big improvement on Gnome 2. Gnome 2 was nice and customizable, but was stuck in 1995, and offered nothing in the way of productivity. Gnome 3 gets tasks done much quicker, I'd rather search for a program than go through menus.

drawkcab
August 7th, 2012, 03:47 PM
The one thing I really like in g3 is the ability to scale the desktop in advanced settings--> fonts --> text scaling factor.

Allows me to instantly scale the desktop of my htpc to my television. :D

Simian Man
August 7th, 2012, 04:02 PM
The fact that I can replace it with KDE.

georgelappies
August 7th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Don't like it all, it feels limiting.

peryang
August 7th, 2012, 04:40 PM
To update your extension to the latest version, go to the extension's page, or the "Installed Extensions" page, and click the green update arrow. If there is no arrow, your extensions should be fully up to date.

click4851
August 7th, 2012, 05:35 PM
it uninstalls nicely.

mips
August 7th, 2012, 08:23 PM
A little bit more than Unity but not much ;)

neu5eeCh
August 7th, 2012, 10:23 PM
If there is no arrow, your extensions should be fully up to date.

Or you're jack out of luck. Try again tomorrow.

Gnome merely "tolerates" the extension page. When they update, expect most, if not all, your extensions to be broken without any pretty green arrows.

mr john
August 8th, 2012, 05:37 AM
I liked the top left thing. Not sure why I left fedora. Maybe it broke or something and I only had an Ubuntu cd. I like Gnome3 and Unity on newer computers but anything P4 or below doesn't work well. Sadly here in Honduras alot of people are still using P4's and more recent versions of Ubuntu need more resources. The best OS for p4 computers is Windows XP or an older version of Ubuntu. Puppy etc would be nice, but they don't feel like real operating systems. Luckily Ubunti works well on my i5 laptop and also my netbooks. I'm not sure why the performance of an Atom-based computer is better than a p4. Maybe because they are newer?

vexorian
August 8th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I liked the top left thing. Not sure why I left fedora. Maybe it broke or something and I only had an Ubuntu cd. I like Gnome3 and Unity on newer computers but anything P4 or below doesn't work well. Sadly here in Honduras alot of people are still using P4's and more recent versions of Ubuntu need more resources. The best OS for p4 computers is Windows XP or an older version of Ubuntu. Puppy etc would be nice, but they don't feel like real operating systems. Luckily Ubunti works well on my i5 laptop and also my netbooks. I'm not sure why the performance of an Atom-based computer is better than a p4. Maybe because they are newer?
My netbook is very weak on resources, but gets along with 12.04 and fallback gnome (LibreOffice and Firefox 14 run just fine, so it is as real as an OS as it gets). Windows XP ran like a turtle on it.

markbl
August 8th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Gnome Shell's combined launcher/dash/search/overview and workspace management all on the single super key, or hotspot, is a beautifully elegant design. Unity probably has more "tricks" but gnome shell has all you need and does those basics better. Unity has lenses and HUD both of which I just can't find much use for (at least for my workflow). I love the dynamic workspaces on Gnome Shell which is a smart idea and better than the classic static workspaces used by Unity. Notifications are better also on Gnome Shell because they are all kept around until you read them, if you want. Also can click on them to open links etc. I'm a power user but think Gnome shell also best for new users due to it's simplicity. That is the mark of a good design.

I also find it amazing that even on Ubuntu, Gnome shell has always performed better and been more reliable and bug free than Ubuntu's own Unity, probably because of it's simplicity. For me, Unity only lost the last of its frustrating bugs half way through 12.04. Gnome shell has always been rock solid, at least since I started using it from 11.10 when it became an easy install on Ubuntu.

sffvba[e0rt
August 8th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

wykedengel
August 8th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I looks nice, functions well and it stays out of my way until I need it. Gnome is like the perfect boyfriend. :D

nomorn
August 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM
1. Well thought out design for mouse users.
1a. Top left thing, (super hover?).
1b. No global menu, easier menu access for mouse users.
1c. Scroll wheel to enlarge a window in "spread window" mode, very nice for a quick check on some program and then go back to main activity.
2. Performance, smooth effects for a 3D compositing window manager.
3. Application list, launcher, search, spread windows all in one place.