PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] no network connection after changing provider

i_karpas
January 26th, 2012, 08:14 PM
pls help
I have a PC with WIN7 and Ubuntu10.04, using Grub, it is connected thru a modem+switch. There are 2 other PC connected thru the swich, all able to surf using Win and Ubuntu.=
The problem with this particular PC is that it doesn't recognize the connection (Network Manager (N-M) has a red !). The Win OS did connect.
I edited the /etc/network/interfaces file which is shown below by adding the last 2 lines
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
saved it, restarted, Nothing changed
I then did R-click on the N-M icon, it shows Networking and Notifications as checked
Edit Connections --> Wired edited by entering eth0 and then in the IPv4 tab I added the address,network and geteway + DNS server that showed up in the Win7 OS, checked available 4 all users and 4 Method I tried both Manual and Automatic. Nothig worked 2 create connection
I also tried turning off/on the modem still nothing.
I ran ifconfig and it only shows this

karpas@karpas-desktop:~$ ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:122 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:122 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:11850 (11.8 KB) TX bytes:11850 (11.8 KB)

also looked at dhcp3.conf but except for the first 2 lines all have # and I don't know what 2 do with it.
Any help will be appreciated since the internet supplier does not support Linux

i_karpas:confused:

chili555
January 26th, 2012, 10:55 PM
If you don't have an eth0 interface in ifconfig, then it will do no good to fiddle with /etc/network/interfaces or tweak Network Manager. Let's find out where eth0 has gone. Let's find out what kind of network card you have and find out what driver it needs and evidently isn't loading.

Please run and post:
lspci -nn | grep 0200
uname -r
dmesg | grep eth0The pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with \.

Network Manager will work best without the eth0 listings in /etc/network/interfaces. You may safely remove them. Leave the lo lines untouched.

i_karpas
January 27th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Hi Chili555
I did as u indicated and got
karpas@karpas-desktop:~$ lspci -nn | grep 0200

02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications AR8151 v1.0 Gigabit Ethernet [1969:1073] (rev c0)

karpas@karpas-desktop:~$ uname -r

2.6.32-33-generic

karpas@karpas-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep eth0

returned nothing

karpas@karpas-desktop:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

* Reconfiguring network interfaces...

the last command i did after editing /etc/network/interfaces and commenting (#)

the eth0 lines (auto .... and iface .....)

There is still no connection
Thank u

chili555
January 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM
The driver for this device is atl1c; it is built in to the latest Ubuntu version but must be compiled from source code on your older version. Here is a rough outline of the process, although there are some refinements we could add since the May 2010 postings. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476231

Perhaps you'd rather upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10. I'll be happy to help in either case.

i_karpas
January 27th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Hi Chili555
I am going to reinstall the 10.04 version for which i have an image CD, since the connection worked before and i hope it will again. I am saving all my files now. If this does not work i'll try what u recomended
I'll let u know how it turns out
Thank u i_karpas

i_karpas
January 30th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Hi Chili555
I'm sorry 4 the delay in answering. My attemp 2 reinstall Ubuntu 10.04 didn't work in the process i lost Win7, and finally did a clean installation of Ubuntu 10.04 from the installation CD but that did not return the network so i am going to install the modem driver as u instructed , I will keep u informed
Thanks 4 the help
i_karpas

i_karpas
January 31st, 2012, 08:43 PM
:DI looked up the url in u'r thread from May 2010, but it is inactive (404 error). So I downloaded the Ubuntu 11.10 distro, and after some effort got it installed now the Network works fine, and I am now in the process of getting used 2 it
Thank u again
i_karpas:)

I want 2 mark this thread as SOLVED but I dont know how

chili555
January 31st, 2012, 10:00 PM
:DI looked up the url in u'r thread from May 2010, but it is inactive (404 error). So I downloaded the Ubuntu 11.10 distro, and after some effort got it installed now the Network works fine, and I am now in the process of getting used 2 it
Thank u again
i_karpas:)

I want 2 mark this thread as SOLVED but I dont know howI'm glad it's working by whatever means. Use Thread Tools at the top to Mark Solved.