PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my first job! :D

TheNerdAL
January 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I'm so happy. Was wondering how much percentage of each check I should save?

CharlesA
January 26th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Easy - as much as possible.

haqking
January 26th, 2012, 07:47 PM

?

The percentage left over after youve spent what you need to spend i guess

Simian Man
January 26th, 2012, 07:55 PM
That depends totally on the job (salary), your expenses, your goals and your life situation.

lisati
January 26th, 2012, 07:59 PM
In a word: priorities. It's no good putting money aside for stuff you enjoy, if the things you need (a home, food, clothes etc) suffer as a result.

CharlesA
January 26th, 2012, 08:04 PM
In a word: priorities. It's no good putting money aside for stuff you enjoy, if the things you need (a home, food, clothes etc) suffer as a result.

Indeed. My general rule is that anything that isn't spent on bills goes into savings (which isn't much, but at least I break even :p)

TheNerdAL
January 26th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Indeed. My general rule is that anything that isn't spent on bills goes into savings (which isn't much, but at least I break even :p)

I don't pay bills yet. D:

CharlesA
January 26th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I don't pay bills yet. D:
I you don't have any bills, you can always throw it all in savings and just leave it there.

Lars Noodén
January 26th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Depending on which country you live in, you could consider investing it already in retirement. The money is worth more early on because there is longer for the interest to accumulate. There are some funds where you can pay the taxes now and get the money later tax-free. But you'll want to look into all that yourself.

Be sure to leave a budget for fun stuff, even if it's a small budget.

wyliecoyoteuk
January 26th, 2012, 08:22 PM
If you have any debts, pay them off first, no point paying interest.
If you are lucky enough to be debt free, save as much as you can,
But don't forget the people that supported you until now.

Good luck, have a nice life, never let it get boring. :)

Megaptera
January 26th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Well done on getting your first job!
If you can, put some of your savings in 2,3 or 4 year accounts - that way you'll be less tempted to dip in to them. Also, as already said it's never too early to save for retirement - that way the fun carries on for more years!!

KiwiNZ
January 26th, 2012, 09:50 PM

Congratulations that is awesome.

Now blow your first pay, it's a reward you deserve it. Then save about 20% of your income and start a retirement savings scheme, the earlier you start that the more you have at retirement and you get into a habit of good saving and fiscal management.

CharlesA
January 26th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Congratulations that is awesome.

Now blow your first pay, it's a reward you deserve it. Then save about 20% of your income and start a retirement savings scheme, the earlier you start that the more you have at retirement and you get into a habit of good saving and fiscal management.
+1 to that. It's always nice to spend some money on yourself. ;)

Tk007LwZFJW5ej
January 27th, 2012, 02:17 AM
You have a job that pays enough for you to save, and you don't have to pay any bills?! Can your parents/guardians/whoever adopt me??

|{urse
January 27th, 2012, 02:23 AM

My thoughts also, you do need to blow your first check to reward yourself and also to get a good idea of how quickly "fun" can consume $. This knowledge will help to enhance your financial responsibility.

Johnny3
January 27th, 2012, 02:43 AM
I would say at least 15% I f company has some kind of they matching funds up to a % at least do that much. I always had two saving long term(retirement) then one to save to buy fun stuff or fix something that broke.
Good Luck and God Bless Johnny3 65+++

Swagman
January 27th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Congratulations

My (middle) daughter has also just got a job. She's saving for an AlienWare Laptop !!

haqking
January 27th, 2012, 11:54 AM
What job is it by the way ? IT related ?

And i see you are from the US. I found a good way to save without even realising when i was over there was to ask for a tax above what it actually was.

That way when you file your taxes you will get a nice rebate. You tend to forget you are actually saving that way and not tempted to dip into it etc as you cant until your get your check from the IRS ;-)

Peace

Grenage
January 27th, 2012, 12:14 PM

Nobody says "I wish I'd saved less".

aykoola
January 27th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Well congratulations are in order :)

Basher101
January 27th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Congratulations

My (middle) daughter has also just got a job. She's saving for an AlienWare Laptop !!

congratulations also

to the quote: its nice to have an alienware laptop, but they are just overpriced looks...for less $ you can have the same performance if you look around...