PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Trouble Using environments

dreezy
January 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Hey all,
I recently came back to linux after a long break (5+ years). I installed lubuntu 11.10 on an old machine. By default it used lxde. I wanted to see what gnome and kde are like these days so I installed them through the package manager and rebooted. When I go to the login screen I have about 10 options on the list. None of the gnome options work. For a few I get an error, and for the Gnome/Openbox option it looks like it loads halfway. I get the desktop background and icons AND right click menu, but nothing else.

For KDE there are 3 options and only one works, but it doesn't seem to be working right either. I threw fluxbox and xfce on too because I used to use fluxbox mainly, and xfce is supposed to be fast.

anyways, those don't work either. fluxbox seems to load up something else but halfway.

openbox was installed by default, and that appears to work. Enlightenment works.

What should I try to fix this?

sudodus
January 26th, 2012, 05:55 PM
The simple way would be to test the different flavours of Ubuntu. Download the iso files and make boot CDs or use Unetbootin to make a USB drive bootable with them one at a time!

- Kubuntu with KDE,
- Xubuntu with XFCE
- (and you have already tested Lubuntu).

Furthermore, for test Gnome 2 you can test

- Linux Mint 11 (which is based on Ubuntu 11.04) or
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (supported until April 2013)

And of course don't forget to test the main version

- Ubuntu (11.10) with Unity

Test the versions live booted from CD or USB drives before you decide what to install!

dreezy
January 26th, 2012, 06:42 PM
So they don't work because they are incompatible with my system?

I figured it would just be a configuration problem.

This is the only option?

sudodus
January 26th, 2012, 07:56 PM
So they don't work because they are incompatible with my system?

I figured it would just be a configuration problem.

This is the only option?
It is too early to say they are incompatible with your system. But maybe it is difficult to start with the minimal system Lubuntu, and then add Unity, KDE and XFCE alongside with LXDE. That might create inconsistencies or configurations problems, although it should work (after some tweaking). That is why I suggested to test live systems without any extra installations.

Furthermore it will be easier for us to help and suggest if you describe your computer hardware and what you intend to do with your computer.

dreezy
January 26th, 2012, 09:45 PM
It's a pentium 4 1.8ghz, 512mb ram (maxed out)
nvidia tnt2 graphics
Using mainly as a media pc attached to the tv/stereo.

sudodus
January 26th, 2012, 10:47 PM
It's a pentium 4 1.8ghz, 512mb ram (maxed out)
nvidia tnt2 graphics
Using mainly as a media pc attached to the tv/stereo.
I suggest that for such an old computer you should go for Lubuntu, or if you think it is too lean, Xubuntu.

I think your computer will have big problems due to cpu power and RAM size if you try the other flavours of the current version (11.10). Lubuntu with LXDE has the smallest footprint, Xubuntu has a bigger footprint, but still much smaller than Kubuntu with KDE and (vanilla) Ubuntu with Unity.

An old but good alternative for an old computer is Ubuntu 10.04, that will work until April 2013.

hhh
January 26th, 2012, 11:25 PM
512mb ram (maxed out)
No way KDE will run on that with any kind of performance. Even Gnome 2 will feel sluggish. If you have your data backed up, do what sudodos suggested and install Lubuntu (lighter) or Xubuntu (more polished).