PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reported Problems 10.04 LTS 2.6.32.38 Read before updating!

JoeFriday49
January 26th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Updating from 2.6.32.37 to 2.6.32.38 will break your Realtek wifi drivers and reinstalling drivers won't make it work.
See this thread: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/921141
And this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11640098&postcount=1

There is currently no solution, and I haven't tested with other wifi cards... Booting back to 2.6.32.37 will allow the system to be used until this can be resolved.

malangaman
January 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

JoeFriday49
January 31st, 2012, 02:50 PM
Updating from 2.6.32.37 to 2.6.32.38 will break your Realtek wifi drivers and reinstalling drivers won't make it work.
See this thread: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/921141
And this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11640098&postcount=1

There is currently no solution, and I haven't tested with other wifi cards... Booting back to 2.6.32.37 will allow the system to be used until this can be resolved.

This Bug has been marked as confirmed, but is still unassigned...

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to update the other 2 systems that I have also running 10.04 that don't use this particular card?

JoeFriday49
February 4th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Can anyone tell me if it's safe to update the other 2 systems that I have also running 10.04 that don't use this particular card?

Another user posted to the bug report with the same problem, but they are using the same chipset I am. Still don't know if it's safe to update the other machines I have that are running 10.04 LTS

JoeFriday49
February 8th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Still not assigned and without resolution... Is anyone using this build without problems with other chipsets?

Linuxer
February 9th, 2012, 02:33 AM
I lost my wireless as well with 2.6.32.38, .37, and .36. 2.6.32.35 works fine. How can I safely remove 2.6.32.38, .37, and .36?

Thanks in advance.

Linuxer.

JoeFriday49
February 9th, 2012, 03:23 AM
I lost my wireless as well with 2.6.32.38, .37, and .36. 2.6.32.35 works fine. How can I safely remove 2.6.32.38, .37, and .36?

There will be periodic updates and we will have no idea which ones will work. My system worked fine up until I installed this latest "38" release... My update preferences are set to only install Important security and Recommended with the pre-release and unsupported updates turned off... I just wonder if "39" will fix it...

I have another laptop and 2 desktops that I'm afraid to allow to upgrade and I know there are some security issues in with the update package. Can't help but feel vulnerable to whatever security issues were patched.

The bug report I linked to in the first post is still unassigned, but it only mentions the one wifi chipset that is affected, so it may not warrent the time required to fix it... I just wish i knew what other chipsets that may be affected.

To answer your question, I don't know how to safely remove the updates, or whether when and if a working update comes out they will be required to be installed in order to update.

Linuxer
February 10th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Thanks for your response. Incidentally, my problem occurred on a Lenovo G450 laptop. It has a Broadcom wi-fi chip.

Linuxer

JoeFriday49
February 10th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks for your response. Incidentally, my problem occurred on a Lenovo G450 laptop. It has a Broadcom wi-fi chip.

Linuxer

If you haven't already, post your problem in the folder "Networking & Wireless" It will get more attention there... You need to include the outputs from the following querries in your initial post (Copied from sticky):

<snip>
HOWTO post a Wireless issue (ticket)
Please take a while for the title of the thread. Do not write things like "Help wireless" and "Can't wireless". Think a little bit more, a good title can increase the chances to get help. For instance, add the Wireless brand/Ubuntu version/Machine Brand and Model.

Please, provide details about you Wireless. The diagnoses of your problem can be easer and the solution faster.

Here is a list of Wireless related information with their respective commands. Some commands give you a lot of output, so will be nice to include in the post only the information regarding the Wireless. You can cut it or use tools like grep, or whatever you like.

1 ) Machine Brand and Model (PC/Laptop):
Code:
Get it from your product information.
2 ) Wireless Brand, Model and Wireless Chipset:
Code:
$ lspci
$ lsusb
(hint) use grep to get only information about the Wireless
Code:
$ lspci -nn | grep 'Wireless Brand'
3 ) check interface:
Code:
$ ifconfig
$ iwconfig
(hint) if the Wireless interface name is wlan0 you can also use
Code:
$ iwconfig wlan0
4 ) Check for modules:
Code:
$ lsmod
(hint) search for the Wireless module
Code:
$ lsmod | grep "wlan_module_name"
5 ) Kernel boot messages
Code:
$ dmesg
(hint) the same as in (4)

6 ) Network configuration
Code:
$ sudo lshw -C network
7 ) Scan for networks:
Code:
$ iwlist scan
(hint) the same as in (3)
Code:
$ iwlist scan wlan0
8 ) Ubuntu Version:
Code:
$ lsb_release -d
9 ) Kernel/architecture (including 32 vs. 64 bit):
Code:
$ uname -mr
10 ) Restarting the network:
Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
Add this information to the post, even is the output is and error, and more if you have, and describe your issue.

JoeFriday49
March 3rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
No movement on bug report.

JoeFriday49
April 23rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
Just tested kernel 2.6.32-41... Bug still exists in this latest release.

JoeFriday49
June 13th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Today was the 3rd time I received a notification to upgrade to release .41... I don't understand this. It is a 41 MB download, and has been each time I've installed it. Regardless of how many times it wants to download, it still doesn't work on wifi, and now has broken the notification applet... Back to good ole release .37... It's still fine...

dino99
June 13th, 2012, 02:31 PM
where is the bug report about that issue ?:confused:

JoeFriday49
June 13th, 2012, 02:36 PM
where is the bug report about that issue ?:confused:

It's in post number 1...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/921141

JoeFriday49
June 29th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Today's latest image did not fix this wifi problem...