PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installation stops.

Sofo
January 25th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I have tried installing Ubuntu on my laptop, but the installation stops prematurely. The last screen i get is where i enter user name and logon information. I get the message 'Ready when you are...' but the Continue button is greyed out. My only option is shutting of the comp. When i boot up again there is no option for starting Ubuntu, and Windows 7 just boots.
Whats going wrong?

Quackers
January 25th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Welcome to UF :-)
Have you used a capital letter in your username? For some reason no capitals are allowed in that field. Try without.
Also a password must be entered and confirmed. No empty password fields.

Sofo
January 25th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks a lot Quackers. I used lowercase for username but i didn't enter a password. Will try that immediately.

Quackers
January 25th, 2012, 05:38 PM
That should be ok :-)

Sofo
January 25th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Well, it seems everything that can go wrong, goes wrong with this install. Now my comp refuses to boot from either my Ubuntu dvd or my memory stick even though they are on top of the boot sequence. The Ubuntu install must have done something to my system.

mörgæs
January 25th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Slightly off-topic: The user name must be in lowercase because it would be confusing (to say the least) to have tree different users john, John and jOHn on the same computer. This goes for most operative systems.

Quackers
January 25th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Well, it seems everything that can go wrong, goes wrong with this install. Now my comp refuses to boot from either my Ubuntu dvd or my memory stick even though they are on top of the boot sequence. The Ubuntu install must have done something to my system.

That's strange, if the computer has booted from the cd or usb before.
I would try turning off the pc and leaving it for a minute. Then fire it up with the cd in the drive (or the usb plugged in) and see how that goes.
If that's no good you can go into bios and reset everything to defaul settings, then reset them to how you want them.
Occasionally bioses can trip over themselves and get confused.

Sofo
January 25th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Just found out that my install DVD somehow got erased in the process. Thats why Windows takes over. Burning a new one.

Quackers
January 25th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Oh dear! Better luck with the new one then :-)

Sofo
January 25th, 2012, 06:51 PM
This install has been haunted, but now its up and running.
Now comes the fun part of setting it up. I have never run Linux on a pc before.
Thanks a lot for your fast response Quackers :p

Quackers
January 25th, 2012, 06:54 PM
You're welcome!
Enjoy :-)