PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thunderbird 9 and Beyond...

teejay17
January 24th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Who is looking after the Thunderbird repos for 11.10? Why is it still stuck on 8, when Thunderbird is now at 9, and soon to be at 10?
Why are there no consistent updates to it, like Firefox is getting? Thunderbird was updated to 8, when it was released, but since then all activity seems to have ceased.

ajgreeny
January 24th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Is there a ppa for thunderbird stable which can be used in 11.10? There is certainly one that I use in Lucid, and now run TB 9.0 with no problems on that.

Having now looked, it appears that the ppa repo is available for all versions.
https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/thunderbird-stable

peebly
January 24th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Who is looking after the Thunderbird repos for 11.10? Why is it still stuck on 8, when Thunderbird is now at 9, and soon to be at 10?
Why are there no consistent updates to it, like Firefox is getting? Thunderbird was updated to 8, when it was released, but since then all activity seems to have ceased.

Ive just ran synaptic and there was an update for thunderbird to take it to 9.

BC59
January 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM
With the thunderbird beta PPA I have the version 10 already.
But I think in all the repos it's the same. Yesterday I was asking the latest version for Gparted and the offered from Canonical repos has nothing to do with the latest -stable- version, offered in the Gparted website.

Frogs Hair
January 24th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Tbird updated to 9.0 via the update manager on Ubuntu 11.10 quite a while ago without a PPA . I have seen other threads that indicate not everybody has received the update and I don't know why .

teejay17
February 4th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Well Thunderbird 9 finally arrived for 11.10, and then a few days later 10 was released! I wonder how long it will take Thunderbird 10 to become available in the repos? Hopefully not 5 weeks like 9!

BC59
February 4th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Using the Mozilla PPA I have already version 11.

teejay17
February 7th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Using the Mozilla PPA I have already version 11.
Yes, but that's the Mozilla PPA, which is also beta status. I'm talking about Ubuntu repos, and stable software.

uRock
February 7th, 2012, 04:12 PM
The versions of software in the repos are not usually updated to the newest version, unless the current version is no longer receiving security updates. I noticed they changed this policy with Firefox, so maybe they will do the same with Thunderbird.

teejay17
February 8th, 2012, 05:44 PM
The versions of software in the repos are not usually updated to the newest version, unless the current version is no longer receiving security updates. I noticed they changed this policy with Firefox, so maybe they will do the same with Thunderbird.

Yes, they have been updating Thunderbird so far, but it's sporadic. The new Thunderbird release policy is the same as Firefox.