PDA

View Full Version : HTML5 good for Ubuntu

Paddy Landau
January 24th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I read an interesting article predicting that HTML5 will threaten the closed-shop apps model (https://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/158:jim-zemlin/537202:from-ces-will-html5-threaten-the-closed-world-of-the-app-store).

If so, it means that developers can write for HTML5 without caring whether the target audience is on iPad, iPhone, Android... or Ubuntu.

Previously, Ubuntu's move to the tablet or smart-phone looked precarious without access to either Android's or Apple's store.

Now, HTML5 looks to level out the competition; Ubuntu stands an excellent chance, I think.

grahammechanical
January 24th, 2012, 03:27 PM
This quoted comment reminded me of something Mark Shuttleworth said. But do not ask me to quote him directly.

“This trepidation around rallying around a common platform is troublesome for consumers, who ultimately just want to use apps that work

Linux has its own little wars of the ecosystems. Does it not? Non-commercial foundations verses commercially backed foundations.

Regards.

Dry Lips
January 24th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Question: Can html5 apps be closed source?

Paddy Landau
January 24th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Very good question. I don't know enough about HTML5.

But, of course, it can be non-free.

alexan
January 24th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I don't think it can (maybe if you compile it with your own web browser); but the server that provide html5 features can contain binary software (for example to stream video/image/documents and other source-less media contentments)

Example: think about VNC when you can control another PC via Web Browser (run binary applications etc)

Simian Man
January 24th, 2012, 08:09 PM
HTML5 applications do have to be open source because the browser displays/executes the source directly. Of course many applications will make Ajax requests to servers where the code running on the server need not be open.

HTML5 will work well for many applications, and give device independence, but I don't think that apps by and large will eschew native platforms for it. There are a lot of things you can do in an Android or iOS app that you can't do from within a web browser - and there are only those two platforms to really support. Plus you get control over your code and distribution.

People seem to think HTML5 is going to eliminate the need for Flash, and native apps but it really isn't.