PDA

View Full Version : Question about the xbox kinect

orphanlast
January 24th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I have read some material about the xbox kinect getting official drivers for windows in Feb.

I've seen some of the stuff that hackers have been able to do with the kinect such as, creating instant 3d models just by pointing the kinect at objects. Im sure its only a matter of time until its used by just about everyone for motion capture and film making.

Is it unrealistic to think that you could film a scene with live actors (all of which have been scanned by the kinect) and they play out their roles in a scene (which has also been scanned) and in the editing room they dont just have film, but 3d data to selectively choose what camera angles and camera paths they want in digital 3d space after the fact (after filming the scene).

If its not unrealistic then if i may be able to take a few steps further and say that this would allow us to make bullet time events in a film without the crazy rig that they used for the matrix.

Now if Im not just completely jumping off the deep end, how difficult would it be to plug that 3d filming data into something like blender and use its editing features to implement those editing features i just mentioned? Would a new mod need to be developed? And if so what would make a developer interesed in making the next revolutionary form of film editing?

I MAY be interesed in any developer that would be interesed in this sort of thing. Please tell me if I'm even being realistic and please tell me what I can do to get developers interested in a project like this.

Obviously a big fat check would make a developer happy. I have a business partner that might be able to find some funding for this sort of thing. So please take me seriously. But my business partner and I are still doing a start up business, though he's found some success in other ventures. He just needs to know where to start a project like this, and with me having had such welcoming help on this forum I thought this would be a good place to get some opinions and assistance.

oldos2er
January 24th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Not an Ubuntu support question; moved to Community Cafe.

orphanlast
January 24th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Bump

forrestcupp
January 24th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I think you're probably asking a lot out of the Kinect, but it would be awesome if that were possible.

I hope you have some luck finding someone who can help you.

grahammechanical
January 25th, 2012, 01:30 AM
You might be interested in this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/10/primesense-releases-open-source-drivers-middleware-for-kinect/

Go direct to the original developers of the device.

Regards.

orphanlast
January 25th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I'm curious how it can be said that I'm expecting too much about it. Could I maybe get some elaboration as to how these expectations might be too high? So far I've seen a lot of material that does motion capture for both the body and the face. I've also seen people actually making 3d models with it. Now if we can just combine all these things together in a software package of some sort, I really think this would work.

I've checked out that link. It looks pretty damn cool. Thanks.

Where's a good place to look for programmers that can be put up for hire or for elective interest in wanting to make something pretty damn cool?

forrestcupp
January 25th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Where's a good place to look for programmers that can be put up for hire or for elective interest in wanting to make something pretty damn cool?

Here is a forum called Hire A Programmer Forums (http://forums.devshed.com/hire-a-programmer-57/) that might be good. You also might want to check out www.guru.com and www.elance.com.

There is also a section on these forums for programming, but I don't know if it would be appropriate since the mods already moved your thread to the Cafe. Maybe you could go to the Forum Feedback & Help section and ask the mods if it's ok to either move this thread there or start another thread asking for this help there.

As far as the 3D modeling you've seen, is it so detailed that it could actually capture facial expressions and translate that to 3D? I was basically talking out my backside. If it can really do what you're asking, that will be pretty awesome to be able to accomplish those things with hardware that is so inexpensive.

grahammechanical
January 25th, 2012, 03:28 PM
It does facial recognition. How good at it? I do not know. And if it was to be used as a camera then the camera technique would need to be better than the quality that most people come up with when they record video on their mobile/cell phone.

Regards.

orphanlast
January 26th, 2012, 12:48 AM
It does facial recognition. How good at it? I do not know. And if it was to be used as a camera then the camera technique would need to be better than the quality that most people come up with when they record video on their mobile/cell phone.

Regards.

Alright I think I have enough to work with right now. Thanks everyone.

As for what I just quoted, the Kinect appears to be the most accurate self detecting facial recognizer that's out in the market. I'm sure that cameras will progressively get better and better but for a start-up company, the actual resolution doesn't matter as long as we have an effective tool that might really the movie industry. Regardless of if this project starts to really take off or not I'm sure the movement detection and video quality inside of the kinect will progressively get better and better and not to mention any type of software that's being used along side with it.

forrestcupp
January 26th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Keep us posted if you make any progress. This sounds pretty awesome.

prettysum
July 24th, 2012, 10:31 AM

Have you found your kick *ss programmer yet? I think you've got a really difficult but interesting and awesome idea. Elance could be a good place to start looking. I also know a list of exceptional talents on programming that might catch your attention. This list (https://www.staff.com/skillcategory/Programming) of qualified but affordable candidates on Staff.com may be honored to do a cool project with you. I hope it helps.
:guitar: