PDA

View Full Version : Study for the Master's thesis, about Ubuntu

largon
January 24th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Hello :)
I'm writing to you all about help in filling out an anonymous survey about Ubuntu.
The survey is preformed for my Master's thesis and it is necessary for this work.
The main goal of my thesis is study of the social acceptance of the Open Source solutions, with the example of the Ubuntu's phenomenon.
Surveys were created using Google Docs. In addition, the shortened form of URL links, created using the Google URL Shortener, will provide extra information to my research (eg. redirections from different sources: Facebook, ubuntuforums.org ect.)

Survey:
English version - http://goo.gl/WIAzY
Polish version (wersja polska ;-) ) - http://goo.gl/LVSzT

Thank you all in advance for your response and help.

Greetings from Poland ;)

Dangertux
January 24th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Filled out the survey, I didn't understand one of your questions so I just set it to 3 (it was one of the last questions about likelyhood to resign from use of Ubuntu).

Good luck!

largon
January 24th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Filled out the survey, I didn't understand one of your questions so I just set it to 3 (it was one of the last questions about likelyhood to resign from use of Ubuntu).

Good luck!

Thank you! In this question you must predict your decision, what is more likely to you? Continue of using Ubuntu or resign from Ubuntu in period of one year from now. If you are strongly confident that you'll resign from it - select 5. If you are strongly confident, that you'll continue using Ubuntu - select 1. Any other decisions are made between this two extreme points, like in typical five-level Liker scale:

1. Strongly disagree (with question)
2. Disagree (with question)
3. Neither agree nor disagree (with question)
4. Agree (with question)
5. Strongly agree (with question)

I'm sorry for my english, I'm trying the best I can ;)

Dry Lips
January 24th, 2012, 06:46 PM
One of the questions is:

With which version of Ubuntu (desktop environment) have you worked?
Alternatives: Gnome, Unity, KDE, XFce ,etc.

But you're only able to select one. You should have written something like:
"what is your current main desktop environment."

keithpeter
January 24th, 2012, 06:57 PM
One of the questions is:

With which version of Ubuntu (desktop environment) have you worked?
Alternatives: Gnome, Unity, KDE, XFce ,etc.

But you're only able to select one. You should have written something like:
"what is your current main desktop environment."

Agreed, I alternate between Gnome, Unity and (in the questionnaire's scheme) Other

stefangr1
January 24th, 2012, 09:16 PM
"I believe that Ubuntu will be as good as a commercial operating system".

If I thought that, I would have sticked to Windows... So do I have to answer "strongly disagree" if I like Ubuntu better?

What's your operational definition of social acceptance? All the questions seem focused towards user satisfaction rather than social acceptance.

Please note that your reasearch may be phrone to selection bias (though this depends on your exact research question). People who like Ubuntu are much more likely to keep on using it, and because of that they are overrepresented in your sample.

SeijiSensei
January 24th, 2012, 09:56 PM
You are posting this survey on the Fedora, RedHat, CentOS, SuSE, and other forums, too, right?

Simian Man
January 24th, 2012, 10:29 PM
The main goal of my thesis is study of the social acceptance of the Open Source solutions, with the example of the Ubuntu's phenomenon.

What do you mean by "Ubuntu's phenomenon"? That survey focuses on Ubuntu which is just one of thousands of open source projects. The motivation for the survey seems to be proselytism rather than any intellectual pursuit.