PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Random freezing in Ocelot

grey1beard
January 23rd, 2012, 11:24 PM
I've recently installed Ocelot from a Ubuntu User magazine disc onto my Toshiba satellite A30 laptop, 2.6G Celeron, 1.2G RAM, 28G hdd, onboard graphics.
Since then regularly updated via update manager, but all the time the laptop has suffered random freezing, originally using the track pad, but then I tried a usb mouse, and still had the same problem.

Typing this as fast as I can, as it has already stopped once.

If I touch the Enter key, and then left click, it sometimes starts again, or sometimes a quick stab on the power button will bring it back to life !
Often, though, it just goes solid.
Any ideas ?
Regards
John

grey1beard
January 24th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Update

Switching off the wireless link to my router about 6 hours ago has resulted in no freezing since.
I've now stitched it back on in order to post this, so I'll see if the effect returns.
One other thing that changed during the "wireless off" period was a re-appearance of the "sleep mode", and a need to log back in as user.

grey1beard
January 24th, 2012, 05:13 PM
14 minutes later and it froze, till I tried the "Enter" key to get going again.
The current Power setting is to never shut down.

grey1beard
January 25th, 2012, 11:19 AM
In Terminal, lspci produces the following for my wireless card -

02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04)
Is there any known problem with this card ?

I rebooted with the card switched off, but as soon as I switched it on, the screen briefly froze till a swift poke in the eye brought it to its senses.

grey1beard
February 7th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Continue to have random freezing while the wireless link is operating, but never while the wireless network is off.
The effect of the screen going slowly dark, followed by a need to log back in still continues, this time only a couple of minutes after switching on.

grey1beard
February 10th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Have now abandoned Ocelot, and will give Natty a try.

I'll mark this as solved to prevent kind people wasting there efforts on my behalf.
Regards all,
John