PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 very slow - transmission

fluft
January 23rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
Edited as it was inacurate.

hello

I recently created a new install of ubuntu 11.10(ive gone for the gnome desktop)

before this reinstallation with older ubuntu & transmission client, I could download up to 1 megabyte a second very easy.

now with this new ubuntu and transmission (2.33) i get 26 Kilobyte/s(KiB/s) , : / so slow indeed

my internet speed via a speed test on a browser is 10 megabits a second ,

my port is open on transmission.

i tried to download firestarter to be sure a port was open and the port is o.k, but still no joy.

anyone had the same experience?

(i cannot see an older version anywhere, just 2.33)

peace : )

Frogs Hair
January 23rd, 2012, 11:33 PM
Yes , in fact it was my first time trying Transmission because I don't often have big downloads . I just thought it was slow for some reason on the day I tried it and planned to try again another time . I had actually forgotten about it until I saw your thread .

fluft
January 23rd, 2012, 11:41 PM
transmission is usually perfect for me

definately something not right with the latest versions surly. as my port and isp is fine.

can't see how to instal a previous version tho :/

darkod
January 23rd, 2012, 11:56 PM
You don't have any limit activated right?

Usually forwarding the port to your computer IP is enough to get a good speed. And to make sure the IP doesn't change. It's often best to have a fixed IP on that computer if possible.

I have also noticed the following: Sometimes if you leave it unlimited, it downloads very slow. But if you set a limit (it can be very high), it works much faster, up to the limit.

In other words, if you want to download with 1Mb (or 1MB, notice the bit-byte difference), simply set the limit as 1Mb. Note that the transmission limits values are in Bytes so calculate accordingly.

Try if it raises the speed.

fluft
January 24th, 2012, 12:32 AM
hi yeah my first post was wrong. maybe i should edit it?

anyway my transmission limits are in KiB/s and i have it set to 1200 KiB/s

my ISP provides 10 megabits a second by a speed test and general surfing. and its fine.

i beleive i am limited by my ISP to 8 megabit for P2P (aprox 1 megabyte)

at present i get aprox 20 KiB/s on transmission( i am testing on torrents that have 1000's of peers) torrents that usually take 30 mins are now taking many many hrs or more

i think i need to down grade transmission : ?