PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade for 10.04 LTS

jorpoveda
January 23rd, 2012, 07:11 PM
Hello I have a machine that fully works with version 10.04 LTS, I have a lot of info on the HDD and I want to upgrade it in April to the new LTS that will be 12.04

Is there a way to upgrade the system without uninstalling or formating it? Or do I have to perform a backup, install the new version and save my backup on my new system?

Thank you.

BC59
January 23rd, 2012, 07:20 PM
There is a way to do it. When 12.04 is ready, you will see a warning if you like to update 10.04 to the new version.
The problem with updates, is that there is an elevated possibility of a failed update. So in any case you need a thorough backup.

jorpoveda
January 23rd, 2012, 07:25 PM
So with the new version I will have to upgrade only from the Software Center. Thats really good. I will of course take all necessary precautions.

Thank you.

sudodus
January 23rd, 2012, 07:27 PM
There is a way to do it. When 12.04 is ready, you will see a warning if you like to update 10.04 to the new version.
The problem with updates, is that there is an elevated possibility of a failed update. So in any case you need a thorough backup.
+1

I agree with BC59.

You should always start with a full backup before you upgrade to a new version.

Hardy (8.04) was ready for a smooth LTS upgrade to Lucid (10.04) not in April but in July 2010, after some child diseases were cured. So I expect that Lucid will be ready for a smooth LTS upgrade to Precise around July 2012. It was written explicitly that LTS users should wait (and avoid upgrading at once when the new LTS version was released).

snowpine
January 23rd, 2012, 07:28 PM
Detailed instructions will appear on this page in April:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

You should have a backup in any case, it's just common sense. ;)

haqking
January 23rd, 2012, 07:32 PM
Hello I have a machine that fully works with version 10.04 LTS, I have a lot of info on the HDD and I want to upgrade it in April to the new LTS that will be 12.04

Is there a way to upgrade the system without uninstalling or formating it? Or do I have to perform a backup, install the new version and save my backup on my new system?

Thank you.

well from 10.04 to 12.04 though there will be an upgrade path as already mentioned, it is big leap and a big leap of faith.

If i was you i would throughly check the hardware support first and run a Live CD/DVD or USB first or a seperate real install to test things first to make sure everything works fine.

Also in my opinion upgrades lend themselves to failure more readily than a clean install.

If you decide you want to to then IMO a backup of data and a clean install then a data restore would be the safest avenue.

however all IMHO.

Cheers

philinux
January 23rd, 2012, 09:09 PM

Thank you.

I agree with all above comments. This one will be quite a challenge. I'd wait till May too. I did a clean install of 11.10 but as I have home on its own partition I decided to delete nearly all the .config folders except Firefox and evolution.

I think old gnome and compiz settings may mess things up. Easily fixed as I said above. I'll be interested to read the intructions that snowpine mentioned.

Meanwhile you can track progress here. http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=412

jorpoveda
January 24th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Well thanks, It is always good to have as much suggestions as possible. I'll read the instructions that snowpine posted, for my best interest I think I'll do as most say and wait until may or july and then do a clean instal.

Thank you all for your help.