PDA

View Full Version : How does someone use a tablet comfortably?

mamamia88
January 23rd, 2012, 06:26 PM
When my netbook finally gives out on me I'm kind of thinking of getting a tablet to keep me focussed on only doing 1 think at a time. It's so easy to open a million tabs on a netbook and forget what the heck you were doing. My question is though how does someone use it comfortably? Put it on your lap and look down? wouldn't that cause neck strain? Hold it out it front of your face? Wouldn't that cause arm strain? Tilt it up on your lap and type with one hand? seems way too easy to drop and typing speed would be even worse. Is it even worth getting a tablet if the vast majority of what you do on a computer involves typing fast? A phone is fine because you can hold it in one hand and type relatively quickly because the buttons are so close together. But you can't really do that with a 10" tablet.

CharlesA
January 23rd, 2012, 06:36 PM
I was told to test using a tablet at work for one of our software application and it was a royal pain in the butt.

I don't really see myself using a tablet unless they make it like a PADD or something (which is what a smartphone is getting close to).

It is just too cumbersome for me.

Paqman
January 23rd, 2012, 06:39 PM
It's so easy to open a million tabs on a netbook and forget what the heck you were doing.

Buying more gadgetry is unlikely to train you out of that tendency. I'd suggest doing more reading or taking up some other hobby where you have to concentrate on something for long periods (Painting? Making model sailboats?).

Is it even worth getting a tablet if the vast majority of what you do on a computer involves typing fast?

No.

mamamia88
January 23rd, 2012, 07:08 PM
Buying more gadgetry is unlikely to train you out of that tendency. I'd suggest doing more reading or taking up some other hobby where you have to concentrate on something for long periods (Painting? Making model sailboats?).

No.
Oh I'm talking about my tendencty to pull out my netbook and google stuff at same time as watching tv/playing videogames. Half the time i forget about the game i'm playing or the show i'm watching on tv. i end up looking at something totally different than what i was originally looking at. i figured a tablet might at least keep you focussed on 1 webpage at a time

BrokenKingpin
January 23rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
If you type alot, do not get a tablet... or get one of the Asus Transformer tablets that can dock into a keyboard (basically giving you a netbook). These are expensive compared to netbooks though.

My suggestion is to just get another netbook. It does what you want and it is cheaper than a tablet. I love my netbook, and can't see myself getting a tablet anytime soon.

rg4w
January 23rd, 2012, 07:16 PM
There is only one position in which you can use a tablet comfortably, the one Steve Jobs used when he demoed the iPad: seated with one leg crossed so that you can lean the tablet against the crossed leg.

Other than that, my solution has been to get an Asus Transformer so the keyboard docks keeps the screen vertical without having constantly to hold it. :)

forrestcupp
January 23rd, 2012, 08:38 PM
I have a Transformer without the keyboard dock. I have a leather case for it that is like a tri-fold with grooves in one side. You can fold it out and set the edge of the tablet in one of 3 grooves, according to the angle you want, and set the whole thing on a table or your lap. It's awesome. The case was definitely worth the $30 or $40 I spent on it for that and for protection.

It's pretty quick and easy to get it in and out of the case, and you can charge it while it's in the case.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/3458/3458428_ra.jpg

Double.J
January 23rd, 2012, 09:28 PM
Hi there, I can only attest to the Ipad, but in terms of tablet's replacing netbooks - I think this is the case.

What I suggest is a bluetooth keyboard case - you can get ones that basically turn it into a netbook when in the upright postition (portrait or landscape) great for on your knees or in the seat in front of you'e shelf. as they are a case, they protect the screen and can be clipped on "backwards" when used as a tablet. In terms of typing, it;s the same as on my netbook for me - seeing as my netbook is 10"... same as the pad, just with the case it's a bit thinner/lighter than the netbook with the 9 hour battery.

My netbook won't be replaced by another now - Pad for the ultra portable, work anywhere, the new style 11" laptops for the portable full OS - full laptop power, same netbook battery life and just a teeny bit bigger (after three years with a netbook I just can't have a 15" laptop again ;) )

The only downside is of course that you don't get a full OS - iOS or Chrome are obviously the mains and they are very good at the portable feature, but there are some pretty big limitations especially when switching from a netbook - my netbook can run almost any 32bit OS and it's only limitations are the graphics for my use... no the case for pads - bare that in mind.

If you want something to replace a netbook feature for feature - I'd look at the small screen laptops I mentioned ;)

mamamia88
January 23rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
Hi there, I can only attest to the Ipad, but in terms of tablet's replacing netbooks - I think this is the case.

What I suggest is a bluetooth keyboard case - you can get ones that basically turn it into a netbook when in the upright postition (portrait or landscape) great for on your knees or in the seat in front of you'e shelf. as they are a case, they protect the screen and can be clipped on "backwards" when used as a tablet. In terms of typing, it;s the same as on my netbook for me - seeing as my netbook is 10"... same as the pad, just with the case it's a bit thinner/lighter than the netbook with the 9 hour battery.

My netbook won't be replaced by another now - Pad for the ultra portable, work anywhere, the new style 11" laptops for the portable full OS - full laptop power, same netbook battery life and just a teeny bit bigger (after three years with a netbook I just can't have a 15" laptop again ;) )

The only downside is of course that you don't get a full OS - iOS or Chrome are obviously the mains and they are very good at the portable feature, but there are some pretty big limitations especially when switching from a netbook - my netbook can run almost any 32bit OS and it's only limitations are the graphics for my use... no the case for pads - bare that in mind.

If you want something to replace a netbook feature for feature - I'd look at the small screen laptops I mentioned ;)
If you don't mind me asking if you are just going to use a keyboard with it anyway why bother with the tablet form factor? I think it would be nice to have to read books that are in color since i have a kindle but other than that i don't really see the point. if you are just going to use an os that isn't as good as a full desktop os why bother buying an ipad?

stefangr1
January 23rd, 2012, 10:08 PM
If you type alot, do not get a tablet... or get one of the Asus Transformer tablets that can dock into a keyboard (basically giving you a netbook). These are expensive compared to netbooks though.

My suggestion is to just get another netbook. It does what you want and it is cheaper than a tablet. I love my netbook, and can't see myself getting a tablet anytime soon.

In all honesty I've never understood the point of a tablet either. To me it looks like a cripled laptop that lacks a keyboard and can't keep it's screen in the right (vertical) position...

aysiu
January 23rd, 2012, 10:15 PM
My wife and I have an iPad, and it's a real pain to use. We use it for two things, basically, and neither is physically comfortable--watching Netflix videos and playing Angry Birds.

I definitely feel the bind between neck strain and wrist strain. The iPad is heavy.

That said, the touch experience with the 10" screen is perfect for both Netflix and Angry Birds.

If I had to do it all again, though, I'd have foregone the iPad completely. These touchscreen tablets are selling like hotcakes (especially the iPad), but they aren't really that useful. A laptop and a smartphone are the best way to go: laptop for computing power and large screen, smartphone for portability.

Geebsie
January 23rd, 2012, 10:57 PM
I brought up this very question during Christmas dinner with my brother-in-law, who's the head of an IT department, because I just couldn't fathom the appeal. Or rather, I can see how it's really neat and flashy, but that's about it. As far as he could tell, most people who used it were not-very-tech-savvy ladies who wanted something more usable than a phone, but something that was less hassle than a laptop. I'm not saying that this is the only target-group, of course, but I imagine it's easier being restricted by the amount of knowledge you have, than by the nature of the tool you're working with. In other words, there is probably an inverse relationship between the experience of the user, and how long it takes before frustration kicks in with these devices.

philinux
January 23rd, 2012, 11:07 PM
You can't unless you are 2 years old and just poke it. User experience curtesy of grandson.

Ipad too. He's not dropped it yet and likes music videos. Since its not mine I don't worry at all LOL. Benefit of being a grandad. 8)

forrestcupp
January 23rd, 2012, 11:22 PM
Oh... I got on here to give some real practical information on how to use a tablet comfortably. I didn't realize that this is just another thread trying to prove that tablets are useless. I wouldn't have wasted my time looking up that picture if I knew that. Haven't we had enough threads like this?

I'm getting really tired of saying that just because you can't think of any good uses for a tablet doesn't mean that no one can. I get a lot of good use out of my tablet that I couldn't practically get out of a laptop, phone, or netbook.

KiwiNZ
January 23rd, 2012, 11:33 PM
I brought up this very question during Christmas dinner with my brother-in-law, who's the head of an IT department, because I just couldn't fathom the appeal. Or rather, I can see how it's really neat and flashy, but that's about it. As far as he could tell, most people who used it were not-very-tech-savvy ladies who wanted something more usable than a phone, but something that was less hassle than a laptop. I'm not saying that this is the only target-group, of course, but I imagine it's easier being restricted by the amount of knowledge you have, than by the nature of the tool you're working with. In other words, there is probably an inverse relationship between the experience of the user, and how long it takes before frustration kicks in with these devices.

This is very insulting, sexist and in breach of our Code of conduct.

mamamia88
January 24th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Oh... I got on here to give some real practical information on how to use a tablet comfortably. I didn't realize that this is just another thread trying to prove that tablets are useless. I wouldn't have wasted my time looking up that picture if I knew that. Haven't we had enough threads like this?

I'm getting really tired of saying that just because you can't think of any good uses for a tablet doesn't mean that no one can. I get a lot of good use out of my tablet that I couldn't practically get out of a laptop, phone, or netbook.

your picture actaully makes me want one now. i could maybe see myself getting something like that along with one of those really flat apple keyboards typing with when need be. kind of the best of both worlds. surely there is some kind of tabbed browser on android right?

forrestcupp
January 24th, 2012, 12:45 AM
your picture actaully makes me want one now. i could maybe see myself getting something like that along with one of those really flat apple keyboards typing with when need be. kind of the best of both worlds. surely there is some kind of tabbed browser on android right?

Opera Mobile has tabs. I think blue tooth keyboards would work with the Transformer because it has blue tooth. It doesn't have a host USB port, though, unless you buy the keyboard attachment.

I love my case. I almost always have my tablet in it, but I usually take it out of the case and hold it like a book when I'm reading from my Kindle app in bed.

Edit: Firefox for Android has tabs, too, but it seems buggier than Opera. There's another decent browser with tabs called Dolphin.

KiwiNZ
January 24th, 2012, 12:59 AM
I have no problem using my tablet, it's comfortable in my hands and at home mounted in my boat.

kerry_s
January 24th, 2012, 01:18 AM
my tablets only a 5 inch, so very easy to hold with 1 hand, i do have a dock the kids made me out of legos which i just set it on when not using or watching videos.
mine uses the Swype keyboard so typing is fairly fast.
i tried a lot of different size tablets before finding this 1, really narrowed down what i wanted most, which was portability, long battery & full Android.

i very much doubt you'll get what you want the first time you get a tablet, but you'll be smarter on the next 1. you'll know if you want a bigger or smaller screen, maybe better battery, etc....

sent from my galaxy player 5.0

mamamia88
January 24th, 2012, 01:30 AM
my tablets only a 5 inch, so very easy to hold with 1 hand, i do have a dock the kids made me out of legos which i just set it on when not using or watching videos.
mine uses the Swype keyboard so typing is fairly fast.
i tried a lot of different size tablets before finding this 1, really narrowed down what i wanted most, which was portability, long battery & full Android.

i very much doubt you'll get what you want the first time you get a tablet, but you'll be smarter on the next 1. you'll know if you want a bigger or smaller screen, maybe better battery, etc....

sent from my galaxy player 5.0at that point i could just use my phone which is the same size. swype is cool i've used it on my phone before.

kerry_s
January 24th, 2012, 01:45 AM
at that point i could just use my phone which is the same size. swype is cool i've used it on my phone before.

your all set then! lol
i love Swype, takes a little getting use to at first, but it is fast for inputting text. you quickly learn what you can skip when Swyping, like the circle for double letters, if you already know it's not in the dictionary not to waste your time Swyping, just tap it out, no need to correct right away, just go back later it's usually in the suggestions so you just tap the word to fix.

Double.J
January 24th, 2012, 02:19 AM
If you don't mind me asking if you are just going to use a keyboard with it anyway why bother with the tablet form factor? I think it would be nice to have to read books that are in color since i have a kindle but other than that i don't really see the point. if you are just going to use an os that isn't as good as a full desktop os why bother buying an ipad?

That was basically the point I was making - sounds like you don't need one. Consider the smaller laptops I mentioned - you can run kindle in your browser, on wine or natively in windows/mac :)

Personally for my needs it has great appeal in replacing my netbook with a keyborad - I literally have no need for 99.99% of the apps - it's a tool for me, I play games on it sometimes on long train journeys but not on a commute. To me the keyboard enables it to do all the things I use my netbook for, whilst taking up less space, then I can detach the keyboard and it's a tablet.

Sorry for being unclear, I was trying to show the limitations of a tablet in my original post as well as the positives to help make it clearer for you ... sorry if that got confused! :)- they aren't for everyone, but are for me. It doesn't sound like they are for you - you can get most of what you want from your existing netbook / a smartphone :)

When my netbook finally gives out on me I'm kind of thinking of getting a tablet to keep me focussed on only doing 1 think at a time. It's so easy to open a million tabs on a netbook and forget what the heck you were doing. My question is though how does someone use it comfortably? Put it on your lap and look down? wouldn't that cause neck strain? Hold it out it front of your face? Wouldn't that cause arm strain? Tilt it up on your lap and type with one hand? seems way too easy to drop and typing speed would be even worse. Is it even worth getting a tablet if the vast majority of what you do on a computer involves typing fast? A phone is fine because you can hold it in one hand and type relatively quickly because the buttons are so close together. But you can't really do that with a 10" tablet.

mamamia88
January 24th, 2012, 07:48 AM
That was basically the point I was making - sounds like you don't need one. Consider the smaller laptops I mentioned - you can run kindle in your browser, on wine or natively in windows/mac :)

Personally for my needs it has great appeal in replacing my netbook with a keyborad - I literally have no need for 99.99% of the apps - it's a tool for me, I play games on it sometimes on long train journeys but not on a commute. To me the keyboard enables it to do all the things I use my netbook for, whilst taking up less space, then I can detach the keyboard and it's a tablet.

Sorry for being unclear, I was trying to show the limitations of a tablet in my original post as well as the positives to help make it clearer for you ... sorry if that got confused! :)- they aren't for everyone, but are for me. It doesn't sound like they are for you - you can get most of what you want from your existing netbook / a smartphone :)
I don't need one but still kind of want one for some reason. I think the netbook/laptop is better for using around the houe and the phone is good for pretty much anything out and about. kindle fire might be a sweet spot though size wise because i can theoretically get it in a pocket