PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Weird screen after boot and other strange issues.

Illumettius
January 23rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Hello all

This is my first time on this forum. I have absolutly no experience with Ubuntu.
I would like to give Ubuntu a try.

One of my friends told me I should try Wubi so I don't have to delete my windows7.
But I have had some problems installing Wubi though.

First off, I got a Permission Denied error ( IOError: [Errno 13] Permission Denied: 'G:\\wubidlr') at the end of the install.
After some googling I managed to overcome that error by putting wubi.exe and the Ubuntu 11.10 ISO into the same folder. After that, I rebooted, and I got the option to chose either Windows 7 or Ubuntu. I selected Ubuntu, but after that I got a black screen with the following message:

"Completing the Ubuntu installation.
For more installation boot options, press 'ESC' now...
(timer: 3-2-1-0)"

Once the timer reached 0, I couldn't do anything else, I waited about 2 hrs but still nothing happened. So I had to do a hard reset. I know it's bad, but I had to, because nothing else responded.

Then I tried booting Ubuntu again, this time I got in (yay!) but then the screen went very weird. I think it has something to do with my Graphics Card (nVidia Geforce 9600 GT). I'll put a picture of my screen as attachment (I couldn't use printscreen button so I took a picture with my camera, sorry for the bad quality)

Any advice on this issue will be very much appreciated. I don't know that much about Ubuntu though. Also, sorry for my bad English, I'm not a native speaker but I tried my best to explain my issue. I hope you can understand it.
(Also sorry if this is not the right section on the forums, I was hesitating to put it on the newcomers forum, but eventually put it here because of the installation)

I'm very interested in Ubuntu, so it would be nice if I get it installed properly and ready to go.

Additional information:
-Ubuntu 11.10 (that's the one I tried installing)
-GPU: nVidia Geforce 9600 GT
-I'm using Windows 7 atm
If you need more information, feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Illumettius

Rubi1200
January 23rd, 2012, 09:32 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums :-)

You are right that this is most likely a graphics issue.

Posts 1 and 8 here describe the options available (use nomodeset:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

You can ignore the non-Wubi comments in the first post since the process is essentially the same on first boot with/without Wubi.

Illumettius
January 23rd, 2012, 10:29 PM
Thank you :-) I'll take a look at it.