PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ask to create a new user account on the first startup

TonyRoma
January 23rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
Hi all, I'm a complete newbie with Ubuntu and have some questions.

I'm wanting to have Ubuntu pre-installed on pre-build PC's that will go out to clients. But I'd like to remove the current user and Home folder and have Ubuntu ask to create a new user account on the first startup by my client. Is this at all possible, am I missing a trick and approaching this completely wrong?!

I'm using ClozeZilla to clone the installation and restore to pre-built PC's of various configurations. I am pre-installing various applications (Chrome/Pidgin/Ubuntu restricted extras, & others) which is why there is already a user account present.

Thank you in advance.

arubislander
January 23rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the forums.

What you are looking for is an OEM install. You'll need to download the alternate cd image first (For Oneiric it would be ubuntu-11.10-alternate-*.iso). On boot you will be presented with an installation language selection menu. After you have selected a language you should press F4 and choose "OEM install (for manufacturers)" or it's equivalent in the language of your choice, then select Install Ubuntu.

You will be presented with a text based installer, but if you follow the prompts attentively you should be OK.

TonyRoma
January 24th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Thank you very much! That was just the job, perfect for my needs. Works flawlessly and simply.

Thank you :D