PDA

View Full Version : overline libreoffice writer

Azzurrina
January 23rd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Good morning Ubuntu people!
I have had a scratching head issue...
I am trying to use the "underline" command on Libre Office writer but as I save the document in .doc format, the underline is not kept.

Does anyone have suggestions??

Thansk a lot

Azzurrina

gunksta
January 23rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
Yep, that's weird. I can't seem to replicate that on my end. Open the attached .doc file and tell me if you can see the underlined portion in it. I created the file with LibreOffice Writer on 11.10. I checked the file using Word 2007 (running in Wine) to make sure that, in fact, the underline was there.

You can try uploading your file, to see if anyone else has any ideas. But, this might be a question that would be better served in one of the more general forums. More eyes = more solutions.

Azzurrina
January 28th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Thanks for your help!

Your underline is shown. I have tried with other documents and, in the updated version of LibreOffice, underline command works!
The very wired point is that underlines are kept whereas overlines are not. How is that possibile? Also "math" attachments change in their shape and size after closing and re-opening the document.

Do someone knows different free writer software? I should now avoid latex which is at the moment my best friend! :)

Thanks a lot

kurt18947
January 28th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Hi I don't know about ver. 8 but I downloaded the 30 day trial of softmaker office 10 and it would open some MS Office files that Libre Office wouldn't open. Ver. 8 is available for free. This suite has a reputation for opening and saving MS Office files with good fidelity. http://www.softmakeroffice.com/

Azzurrina
January 28th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks a lot,

that's a very nice suite!
I actually cannot applied overlines, do I? What about inserting math objects? Is there a sub-rutine?

Thanks again

gunksta
January 30th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Overline is a formatting option. See Format -> Character

Math - Yes, but you would need to install the entire LibreOffice suite. Using 11.10, hit your windows key and enter math. If LibreOffice Math is an option, you have the Math stuff. If not, install it.

Azzurrina
February 1st, 2012, 08:06 AM
Good morning!!

It is not so easy as you said. I mean, I know how to insert math and overlines. The point is that if I save the document in .doc format, when I open it overlines will not be kept and math will change in shape and dimension.
How can I do to make those editing stuff permanent even in .doc format?

Thanks a lot

Have I nice day

gunksta
February 1st, 2012, 10:29 PM
Unfortunately, Math Symbols don't save between LibreOffice and Word. AFAIK, LibreOffice has the best compatibility among the various FOSS projects, but it is not perfect. Have you tried AbiWord? I'm not sure how active the project is, I haven't used it in years, but if they have pursued compatibility with Word more than LibreOffice has, it might be a better option for you.

gunksta
February 2nd, 2012, 03:15 PM
Last night I installed Abiword to see if it could correctly save to the .doc format. Unfortunately, it displays the same limitations as LibreOffice. Underline is saved correctly but overline and equations are not.

For the best degree of MS Office compatibility, I have found must install MS Office via Wine. It is a little tricky and not perfect but it does more or less work. I have experience with Office 2007 Word, Excel and Access. All three can be made to work under Wine. Access is imperfect, but it is the only reliable way to open the new .accdb files under Linux, which is an absolute requirement for my work. Word works well, but crashes when I quit. I have found it is best to save my work, close the document and then exit Word. It still crashes, but at least I won't corrupt any documents in the process. Excel seems to work the best for me which is good considering how much I use it.

I do giggle a little every time I fire up Office on my Linux box. I just think it is so funny.

Azzurrina
February 24th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks a lot!!!!
I will follow your suggestion!!
However, I hope someone is codifying a new Windows talking program for writing free!!!!
Azzi