PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome 3 Intermittant Freezing

zengyro
January 23rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hi there,

I am running Ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome 3. Quite often (several times a day) when using Gnome 3, my computer will lock up and become unresponsive, requiring a reboot.

This happens quite randomly, but is most likely to happen when internet browising: especially with opening a recently downloaded PDF. But will happen at other times as well. This doesn't happen when I use a Unity session: so i suspect the cause lies with Gnome 3.

I read somewhere else that by installing Pixmap: the problem can be fixed. I did this, which appeared to work for a while - but the problem has now returned.

I would like to get to the root cause of the problem. But I am not sure which log files to look at and monitor. Also, is there a way to open the terminal to see what errors Gnome3 is writing to StdOut?

If anyone has a similar problem and has found a solution, then I am all ears!

Frogs Hair
January 23rd, 2012, 03:59 PM
To view errors you can enable the Alt + F2 command prompt . Open keyboard > shortcuts > system to enable the command prompt . Use Alt + F2 and enter the following
lg This will open "Looking Glass" and errors can be be viewed from there . To close LG press Esc .

The Log File Viewer may also display something to help you understand the problem . If there is a proprietary graphics driver available in additional drivers you may want to try installing it . Both Unity and the Gnome Shell run on top of Gnome 3.

zengyro
January 23rd, 2012, 04:38 PM
If there is a proprietary graphics driver available in additional drivers you may want to try installing it

I have a somewhat outdated Radeon X1300 card. The driver is up to date on it. The 'Additional Drivers' doesn't find any hardware that needs new drivers.

The Log File Viewer may also display something to help you understand the problem

That's just it, I am not entirely sure which log file I should be looking at. Naive question: Is it a matter of looking through all them and checking the time stamp?

I tried using Looking Glass: no errors seemed to crop up when the screen froze. Interestingly the LG window was still usuable while the rest of the desktop was frozen.