PDA

View Full Version : How does Ubuntu Come up with those names?

Ryupower
January 23rd, 2012, 08:38 AM
Just wondering if there's a system. Needless to say, they're always animals and the adjective always starts with the same letter as the animal, and ever since Dapper Drake has been around they've been going down the alphabet.
...but who makes the names? Is it a single person, is it a vote, WHERE DO THEY COME FROM? :o

3rdalbum
January 23rd, 2012, 08:41 AM
They've been going up the alphabet since Breezy Badger, actually.

Mark Shuttleworth comes up with the names.

mörgæs
January 23rd, 2012, 08:55 AM
It started with Warty Warthog (4.10): A developer complained about not having time for delivering a beautiful solution, and the response was "well, then you just have to release a warty warthog".

It is an annoying habit, since it only makes googling for an answer more complicated, but it does not seem to fade out.

Ryupower
January 23rd, 2012, 09:52 AM
haha, the warty warthog isn't bad actually. Didn't know that that was the reason in received that name. XD
Ah, so the creator himself comes up with the names. Though I think the names did start with dapper rather than breezy (I can't remember a name that started with a 'c' to sandwich between those two. :/ )

coffeecat
January 23rd, 2012, 10:02 AM
Though I think the names did start with dapper rather than breezy (I can't remember a name that started with a 'c' to sandwich between those two. :/ )

The alphabetical progression started with Dapper. The first four releases were:

4.10 - Warty Warthog
5.04 - Hoary Hedgehog
5.10 - Breezy Badger
6.06 - Dapper Drake

Wikipedia has the full list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29#Releases

sanderd17
January 23rd, 2012, 10:26 AM
The announcements of the new names are done via the blog of Marc Shuttleworth: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/784

Normally just before a version is released, as there has to be a name for the in-development version.

The name for 12.04 was announced on October 5, and 11.10 was released on October 13.

mörgæs
January 23rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
Well, my quote was not correct to the word, but 'close enough', I guess. Found the original:

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/ubuntu-seven-years.html?tb_spage=true

forrestcupp
January 23rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
It started with Warty Warthog (4.10): A developer complained about not having time for delivering a beautiful solution, and the response was "well, then you just have to release a warty warthog".That's right. In those days, they talked about the progression of polishing it up. The first version was going to be buggy and Warty, the next would be a little better, but still kind of old and Hoary looking, then finally they would come out with a polished, snappy OS called Breezy. Those were the days when we were a lot more excited about new releases.

Normally just before a version is released, as there has to be a name for the in-development version.Good point to make. These names are the development names, and not the official names of the releases. Kind of like how Windows 7 was called Vienna during part of the development time.

Paqman
January 23rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Just wondering if there's a system.

Uncle Mark has a big book of animals and a thesaurus, and once every 6 months he throws them up in the air. Whichever animal and random word are at the top of the page when they land get chosen.

Amazingly they've started with the same letter every time so far. The odds against that must be staggering.

forrestcupp
January 23rd, 2012, 04:56 PM
Uncle Mark has a big book of animals and a thesaurus, and once every 6 months he throws them up in the air. Whichever animal and random word are at the top of the page when they land get chosen.

Amazingly they've started with the same letter every time so far. The odds against that must be staggering.

Maybe he stole the Heart of Gold and he's using its improbability drive.

Bachstelze
January 24th, 2012, 12:28 AM
It is an annoying habit, since it only makes googling for an answer more complicated, but it does not seem to fade out.

Couldn't disagree more. To me, the names are a big plus of Ubuntu and Debian compared to other distros. Numbers are boring. (Then again, I don't google for answers much these days...)