PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can we please move the tool bar??

archangel2003
January 23rd, 2012, 07:49 AM
Can we please have an option to move the tool bar from the left?

I hate that every time I maximize the firefox window, if I go a smidge too far to the left (90% OF THE TIME) the tool bar slides over preventing me from going back!

I have to pull away and wait for it to go back!
P-I-T-A!!

Is there some way I can undock or move it?

The_Third
January 23rd, 2012, 10:17 AM
What I did to resolve the issue was set the toolbar to pop out only when my mouse was in the upper left hand corner. After that, I rarely accidently caused it to pop out. I think this can be accomplished in compiz unity settings.

whatthefunk
January 23rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
KDE will solve this problem.

Frogs Hair
January 23rd, 2012, 04:46 PM
As stated there are some adjustments that can be in Unity 3D from the from the Unity Plug-in from the CCSM if installed .

As far moving the launcher to the bottom is concerned , see the link . The method at the link is to be used at your own risk .http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/install-ubuntu-unity-bottom-launcher.html

Additional settings for Unity 2D are available by installing this application . http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/unity-tweak-tool-myunity-gets-new-look-coming-to-ubuntu-software-centre/

Hreinsi
January 23rd, 2012, 05:28 PM
Ubuntu -Unity-Plugin Edga reveal Mode Timout. Mine is 312 Not bugging me anymore
and autohide

Hreinsi
January 23rd, 2012, 05:39 PM
you can also set Reveal Mode to Bottom left then you have to hit the down corner or super key

archangel2003
January 24th, 2012, 06:22 AM
The_Third
Your solution IS my problem.
I move to the upper left to go back in firefox and the tool bar pops out blocking my attempt to go back a page. You go too far left, the damn thing pops out.
Preferably I want it on the top, perhaps even on the bottom, but not the left side.

Whatthefunk,
KDE will solve this problem?
What is KDE and how will it solve my problem?

Frogs Hair and Hreinsi, I have no idea what you are talking about.

And where is the reveal mode located?

I am not the most computer literate individual and am even less familiar with version 11 ubuntu.
I spent a couple of hours the other day downloading apps and games, now they are nowhere to be found, but the ubuntu utility center tells me I already have them!

:confused:

I wanted version 10.04 as my other laptop had that, but the only way I could load it was that I used the download with Windows option, and there was no selection window to select the version I wanted so I am stuck with it until I can swap it out.

whatthefunk
January 24th, 2012, 12:44 PM
The_Third
I move to the upper left to go back in firefox and the tool bar pops out blocking my attempt to go back a page. You go too far left, the damn thing pops out.
Preferably I want it on the top, perhaps even on the bottom, but not the left side.

Whatthefunk,

I am not the most computer literate individual and am even less familiar with version 11 ubuntu.
I spent a couple of hours the other day downloading apps and games, now they are nowhere to be found, but the ubuntu utility center tells me I already have them!

I wanted version 10.04 as my other laptop had that, but the only way I could load it was that I used the download with Windows option, and there was no selection window to select the version I wanted so I am stuck with it until I can swap it out.

KDE is an alternate desktop environment. It allows you to do revolutionary things like move the panel to where ever you want it. You can install it in Ubuntu or you can install Kubuntu, which is an OS based on Ubuntu that uses the KDE desktop. I use it and love it.

MARP1961
January 24th, 2012, 01:50 PM
There are alternative desktops. You can install and try out all of them! KDE (or Kubuntu), XFCE (or Xubuntu), LXDE (or Lubuntu), Gnome Classic and Gnome Shell. I like Gnome Shell but they all have a loyal following (as does Unity which is the default Ubuntu).

If you intend sticking with Unity then make sure you install Compiz Config Settings Manager, launch it and select 'Unity Plugin'. From here you can change the settings for the side launcher. You can set it so that it is always on view and reduce it's size to 32.

However, I think Ubuntu need to develop the facilities to customize Unity more than this. On a desktop, the icons are still far too big (even on 32) and a bottom launcher would look better on some screens.

frankencat
January 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Kubuntu.

archangel2003
January 25th, 2012, 05:52 AM
EH!

I got the 10.04 I wanted, but what next?

I can download any number of them, but having it on a disk or flash drive, or even on my computer, it's just files that sit there.

And yes, I did all three and the only one that worked was the windows option that uses the wrong version 11.10.

Where are the instructions that tell you how to get it do install or work?

bogan
January 25th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hi!, archangel203,

You Posted:
I spent a couple of hours the other day downloading apps and games, now they are nowhere to be found, but the ubuntu utility center tells me I already have them! [Assuming you are using Ubuntu 11.10 and logged in to 'Ubuntu', and not to 'Gnome' or 'Gnome Classic']:

You Press Alt+F2, or click on the Ubuntu Logo, [Dash] top left in the Unity LaunchPad, enter the first few letters of the program's name in the Search Bar, [ if you know the name of the program you are looking for ]
Programs that fit the name or function should be displayed, Select your choice.

If not, then Click on 'More Apps', then on the words: "See xxx more results >".

All the installed and available GUI programs will be displayed, Scroll down to find what you want, and select your choice.

When it runs its Icon will show in The LaunchPad and if you Right Click on it and select: "Keep in Launcher ", in future you will be able to run it from there.

If you are logged in to 'Gnome Classic', and not to: 'Ubuntu', You will find your programs in one of the Application Menus.

Chao!, bogan.

Hreinsi
January 25th, 2012, 12:24 PM
The_Third

Whatthefunk,

reveal mode is located in CompizConfig Settings Manager in Ubuntu - Unity - plugin Behaviour click tap on the right that says left

Edge Reveal timeout is there to

Hreinsi
January 25th, 2012, 12:25 PM

roeghar
January 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I tried every control panel I could find to adjust the behavior of the launch bar and googled and tried numerous solutions but still no luck. No way to adjust its size that works, can't move app buttons around on launcher, can't make it auto-hide except when an open window touches it. My God the Mac Dock is terrific compared to this. Also, the Dash is incredible slow (IBM T42 laptop--1.7/1.5 gig), and hard to find what you want. Many things broken or missing: synaptic package manager quits on launch and the new software center is slow and cumbersome, the appearance pane in system tools only adjusts wallpaper and colors--previous theme settings no longer available, but in my case partially functioning (Maclin theme). Upper menu bar garbled at times and hard to add to. And on and on.
I think I have all the Gnome choices possible installed and have tried them at startup, but the results have been sad. I always liked the Gnome environment, but with Unity its seems just too broken at this time. Finally, installed Kumbuntu and have KDE working fairly well. Feels way too Windows-like but at least it works satisfactorily. Sure hope the next upgrade will include some Gnome options that really work. 11.10 is surely a work in progress.

QIII
January 25th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I understand your frustration. Sometimes things go terribly wrong. I don't use Unity because I don't like it, so I can't be of help in finding a solution to your problems. Others who use Unity will surely help.

You have every right to be frustrated and to seek solutions. But be careful about how you perceive the general case.

It is human nature to assume that our problems are faced by everyone else. It is also in our nature to assume that because we see several dozens of people complaining about the same thing that "lots" of people are experiencing problems.

Neither is true. In the case of the latter, the impression is due to what is known as "referral bias". People don't come to forums like this to complain when things are going right. So we don't know how many millions are having no problems.

Is Oneiric a work in progress? To some extent, yes. There is always continuous improvement. That is not a bad thing.

Is it a "work in progress" because there are a huge number of problems with it? Not necessarily. Remember that what you see here is tainted by referral bias.

JC Cheloven
January 26th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I hate that every time I maximize the firefox window, if I go a smidge too far to the left (90% OF THE TIME) the tool bar slides over preventing me from going back!

As nobody has pointed it out: there are a number of useful keyboard shortcuts that make insignificant all these problems of window management. And they're more or less "standarised" across desktop environments. In particular, Alt-space pops up a window-related menu. Then, you can see: "x" maximizes, "a" restores, "m" moves (with arrows), ...

Well, pressing Alt-space-x is a fraction of the time you use to aim with the mouse and click... hope this is a usable workaround for you. As I use that all the time I didn't even noticed these problems :)

EDIT: oh, the particular shorcuts depend on your desktop localization. What I was meaning was for a spanish desktop. Please see yours.
EDIT2: also, you may want to use a theme which has the window buttons (close, minimize...) at the right corner?