PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Two workstations on the same PC?

1clue
January 23rd, 2012, 03:25 AM
Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has done this with recent hardware and any recent Linux distro, but mostly Ubuntu because that's what's on the box in question.

I have a box with a dual-head nVidia video card on it, and two monitors.

I'm curious if I can allow 2 people to log into that hardware at the same time, right on the same box. I'm talking 2 mice, 2 keyboards, 2 monitors.

I know it can be done with TTY's and that you used to be able to start more than one X session using XFree86, but I don't know if anyone has tried it with 11.04 or later.

I also would like to know if it can be configured as an option in the login screen, to either use both monitors or to log in to a single-screen session so that the other monitor can be used by somebody else.

Thanks.

overdrank
January 23rd, 2012, 03:30 AM
Hi and are you speaking of something like MultiseatX (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultiseatX)

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has done this with recent hardware and any recent Linux distro, but mostly Ubuntu because that's what's on the box in question.

I have a box with a dual-head nVidia video card on it, and two monitors.

I'm curious if I can allow 2 people to log into that hardware at the same time, right on the same box. I'm talking 2 mice, 2 keyboards, 2 monitors.

I know it can be done with TTY's and that you used to be able to start more than one X session using XFree86, but I don't know if anyone has tried it with 11.04 or later.

I also would like to know if it can be configured as an option in the login screen, to either use both monitors or to log in to a single-screen session so that the other monitor can be used by somebody else.

Thanks.

1clue
January 23rd, 2012, 04:15 AM
That seems to be exactly the thing.

Thanks.