PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to safely upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04

bill23
January 22nd, 2012, 09:13 PM
I am presently using Ubuntu 10.10 which I successfully upgraded for 10.04. I have attempted to upgrade to 11.04 but it did not work. I would like to upgrade but do it in a safe way so as not to mess up things as have happened on all my previous attempts/
On my other attempts to upgrade using the Update Manager it would go about its business. Then tells me the update had been successful, however when I tried to use this new update nothing worked. I could not open any of my browsers or access anything which might work or should work. Is there a way to update safely? This 11.04 does one need to have a newer PC for it to work? I am presently using an older PC; a Gateway all in one. I have had no problems going for Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 then 10.04 next 10.10 but when I came to 11.04 disaster struck.
Does 11.04 require some hardware which my Gateway may not have or some software? I do recall something about Unity and Gnome? Although I am not sure if Gnome is the right word or subject matter? :confused: Regardless I was not given a chance to choose one over the other for within seconds the screen went haywire nothing worked and by nothing I do mean nothing . I don't recall what I did but somehow I got out of there and used the 10.04 LTS Disk to start over.
I would like to try again. I do not wish to repeat the disaster that came about from previous tries. I am hoping someone here will guide me to a successful update?
bill23

ptn107
January 22nd, 2012, 09:21 PM
Save yourself the trouble of upgrading over the network. Download an 11.04 alternate CD (links below), burn it, put it in while Ubuntu is running, and follow the on-screen instructions. Oh and back up your stuff first if you haven't already.

32-bit alternate CD (http://releases.ubuntu.com/natty/ubuntu-11.04-alternate-i386.iso)

64-bit alternate CD (http://releases.ubuntu.com/natty/ubuntu-11.04-alternate-amd64.iso)

bill23
January 23rd, 2012, 12:00 AM
Okay I have downloaded from the link, and thanks for it. Now comes backing things up. What should I back up and how? I know it is something I should know how to do already but I don't... sorry.

coldraven
January 23rd, 2012, 01:02 AM
I just usually copy the entire /home directory to my external drive and call it backup10-10.
However my advice would be to wait until April and get the 12.04 LTS release.

mörgæs
January 23rd, 2012, 03:07 AM
If your computer is old, you also could consider L/Xubuntu. Ubuntu is getting quite demanding.

ptn107
January 23rd, 2012, 04:41 AM
If your computer is old, you also could consider L/Xubuntu. Ubuntu is getting quite demanding.

Good suggestion. I actually put Lubuntu on my crappy desktop and it does very well. You should try it.