PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Messed up installation computer broken

Samuel232
January 22nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
I need some help. I've recently trialled Ubuntu and decided to install it, the process had got to the location option and I turned the computer off by the switch and now it's stuck on te bios screen and won't move every time I turn it on. The keyboard doesn't respond to anything help?

kurt18947
January 22nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
A couple things come to mind. There are sometimes settings to select/deselect USB keyboard input. There may also be something about 'legacy USB' If you're using a USB keyboard, these should be selected on. You could also try a PS/2 keyboard if you have one. PS2 is the small round connector oftentimes colored purple for keyboard, green for mouse. USB keyboards used to come with a PS2-USB adapter, I don't know if they still do. I'd guess you need to check BIOS settings then do something like 'F10' to accept. You can't do that without a functioning keyboard. I've kept an old PS2 keyboard around just for such situations.

If the above doesn't work and your machine is a desktop, there's probably a way to reset the BIOS to default. Usually it involves shorting 2 pins on the motherboard for a few seconds or removing the round battery that maintains BIOS settings for a minute or two. If you have or can download the motherboard manual there should be instructions in it. Be sure to unplug your machine before removing the cover. I hope you can fix your problem without irreversible problems.

matt_symes
January 22nd, 2012, 08:26 PM
Hi

Assuming it's not a BIOS issue, which you need to check first as stated by the last poster, can you boot into a liveCD/USB ?

What is the last message displayed on the screen when it hangs on the POST screen ? Can you post a photo of that ?

Kind regards

Samuel232
January 22nd, 2012, 08:42 PM
I managed to get the computer on and onto the Windows side, but the installation of Ubuntu wasn't full complete.

I'm using a PS/2 keyboard and it didn't recognise any keystrokes as the initial loading screens come up.

It won't shutdown properly now though. I just want Windows off my computer because it's a cracked version that's caused me nothing but trouble since I got it.