PDA

View Full Version : When will GIMP 2.8 be released?

forrestcupp
January 22nd, 2012, 04:29 AM
It was scheduled to be released about now, then it got bumped to February. I just now noticed that it got bumped again (http://tasktaste.com/projects/Enselic/gimp-2-8) to March 3rd. I'm sure within two weeks, it will be sometime in April.

Looks like they've been having a rough time for a while deciding on a splash image.

bluexrider
January 22nd, 2012, 04:45 AM
When ever it comes out I'll just change it anyway.

user1397
January 22nd, 2012, 05:04 AM
im an optimist! march 3rd!

christopher.wortman
January 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
I am going to be one of many who have moved onto Krita and completely forgot Gimp existed until this thread.

alphacrucis2
January 22nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
I am going to be one of many who have moved onto Krita and completely forgot Gimp existed until this thread.

It has a rather different purpose.

christopher.wortman
January 22nd, 2012, 09:18 AM
It has a rather different purpose.

Not really, no. It just works and works well. You can find more plugins, and more unique plugins for Krita that do a job that can be as close to or indistinguishable from Photoshop. I have even played with Gimp 2.7.4 and it can't hold a candle to Krita and it's many many plugins...

forrestcupp
January 22nd, 2012, 01:48 PM

They must have changed it a lot in the past year and a half, then. Krita used to be like Microsoft Paint compared to GIMP.

Lucradia
January 22nd, 2012, 02:38 PM

What the heck is Krita; and can I use it without installing QT and KDE deps?

Dry Lips
January 22nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
What the heck is Krita; and can I use it without installing QT and KDE deps?

I had to install Krita as I've never heard about it before. Apparently "Krita is a KDE program for sketching and painting." It seems like KDE/QT deps are installed. At least the interface looked very KDE-ish.

Primefalcon
January 22nd, 2012, 11:22 PM
It'll arrive when it arrives.... frankly it does everything I need it to....

forrestcupp
January 23rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
Either I typed the date wrong earlier, or they have already bumped it to March 5th. :D

I think I probably typed the date wrong.

prokoudine
January 24th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Not really, no. It just works and works well. You can find more plugins, and more unique plugins for Krita that do a job that can be as close to or indistinguishable from Photoshop. I have even played with Gimp 2.7.4 and it can't hold a candle to Krita and it's many many plugins...

That's one hell of an amusing and cute comment. I can almost see kittens dancing. Surely you can provide examples? :)

BTW, the right answer is "Yes, really yes". The statement was about purpose. The purpose of Krita is being a painting application in the first place. Just check it :) How you use it, now that is an entirely different thing.

Lucradia
January 24th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Should've added the Soon™ option.

forrestcupp
January 24th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Should've added the Soon™ option.

I'm not so sure about that. They've already changed it to March 6th. At this rate, they're extending it one day every day. That means it will never get done. :)

Dry Lips
January 24th, 2012, 06:36 PM
OK, I must admit that I voted for "in the year of Desktop Linux", but I really don't think we ought to make fun of the work these guys are doing.

1. They are just a few developers working on the only FOSS photo-editor that comes close to Photoshop. Ok, they've postponed a much anticipated release, but then again, we don't know the reasons why. If just one of the devs had a medical condition or something, that would be enough to the slow down the progress. The team is so small that I'm not at all surprised there are delays now and again. If they had a bunch of well paid developers, like Adobe, there would perhaps be a real reason to make fun of (or complain about) new release dates...

2. Apart from using Gimp, how much have we contributed to it? I'm sure they could use both donations as well as people helping out as developers, documentation, etc, etc.

The release date is postponed a couple of months, so what? We're getting it for free.

3. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to come across as the grumpy supporter of Gimp, but perhaps we ought to start a Gimp appreciation thread instead?

Hylas de Niall
January 24th, 2012, 06:44 PM
^^^Yup.

I voted 'in the year of...' myself, because even as it stands GIMP is an absolutely blisteringly good piece of (never forget this) free software. I couldn't imagine Linux without it, so, we owe those folk who dev it a huge debt of gratitude already.
The new version will be released when it's ready, and i'm glad that they're waiting until they're happy with it rather than pushing it out on time and unfinished.

:D

forrestcupp
January 24th, 2012, 10:07 PM
3. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to come across as the grumpy supporter of Gimp, but perhaps we ought to start a Gimp appreciation thread instead?There are already 500 of those kinds of threads. All someone has to do is mention the name "Photoshop" and there are 50 people all over it praising GIMP. ;)

We're just having some fun here. I think the fact that we want it to come out so badly and we're salivating over the release date proves that we greatly appreciate it. Besides, we can't say "When Duke Nukem Forever comes out" anymore, so we have to have something. :)

The new version will be released when it's ready, and i'm glad that they're waiting until they're happy with it rather than pushing it out on time and unfinished.

:DWell, they kind of are doing that. That's why they pushed some of the 2.8 features into the 3.0 release.

JDShu
January 25th, 2012, 02:42 AM
If you really want to try 2.8 asap, just run 2.7. It is what you will see when 2.8 comes out.

forrestcupp
January 25th, 2012, 03:06 AM
If you really want to try 2.8 asap, just run 2.7. It is what you will see when 2.8 comes out.

I tried it a while back and it was pretty buggy. Is it more stable now? I would hope so, since we're this close to release.

alexan
January 25th, 2012, 11:03 PM
everyone wonder, but no one dare to ask...

so, here's *the* question:

why a project so popular like Gimp has so few developers?

Dry Lips
January 26th, 2012, 12:05 AM
everyone wonder, but no one dare to ask...

so, here's *the* question:

+1. Now, here is an interesting question!

prokoudine
January 26th, 2012, 12:18 AM

1. Huge code base to learn. Can't be helped (and maybe shouldn't).

2. Lack of intro docs for new developers. Partially fixed last year.

3. Lack of confidence in its future. Not much info used to be available about what's up with the project + GEGL still hasn't replaced the old image processing core, hence very few new cool features are possible, and that demotivates people. Work in progress.

rewyllys
January 26th, 2012, 01:49 AM
I voted 'in the year of...' myself, because even as it stands GIMP is an absolutely blisteringly good piece of (never forget this) free software. I couldn't imagine Linux without it, so, we owe those folk who dev it a huge debt of gratitude already. . . .:D

I totally agree!

SeanIM
January 26th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Can't wait to see this new one. Hope it gets a tad more user friendly...and comes with some nice filters out of the box.

koleoptero
January 26th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Does anyone know if they have it in their plans to make it able to do 16bits per channel?

As for krita, clearly you haven't looked into how many plugins are out there for gimp.

prokoudine
January 26th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Does anyone know if they have it in their plans to make it able to do 16bits per channel?

http://gegl.org/ is the new image processing core. Will be used for real stuff around 3.0-3.2.

forrestcupp
February 20th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Well, now the projected release date is March 29th (http://tasktaste.com/projects/Enselic/gimp-2-8). It's growing at a rate of more than one day per day now.

At this rate, it won't be long before they start programming bugs into version 2.6! :)

jespdj
February 21st, 2012, 10:21 AM
3. Lack of confidence in its future. Not much info used to be available about what's up with the project + GEGL still hasn't replaced the old image processing core, hence very few new cool features are possible, and that demotivates people. Work in progress.
I've tried suggesting a bugfix, and looked through the code to find out what had to be done for it. It was about a layer blend mode that was supposed to emulate one of Photoshop's layer blend modes, but which in reality does something different, which means that if you load a Photoshop PSD file with this layer blend mode set, it will look wrong in GIMP. I got opposition from the GIMP developers, some with "GIMP isn't a Photoshop clone, so we shouldn't change it" (come on! if it doesn't show a PSD correctly then it's a bug!) to "the graphics core is going to be replaced by GEGL soon so it wouldn't make much sense to do that now".

That was at least 1˝ years ago. So now they still don't have GEGL in there?

LillyDragon
February 21st, 2012, 11:12 AM
Wow, GIMP's getting an update? I've been using version 2.6 for years, it seems, and now they're talking about posting a new release. Didn't know there was such a small development team, though, so that explains it to me. =P I hope it has a color/dodge/burn tool, that's the only thing I feel it blatantly lacks, ATM. Otherwise, I'm not an advanced enough user to know what else it is, at least when compared to Photoshop. (Haven't used it since CS2.)

Besides, we can't say "When Duke Nukem Forever comes out" anymore, so we have to have something. :)

I still say that sometimes anyway. The reviews sound so abysmal it's like they must have put together a generic Halo-clone shooter, slapped the DNF name on it, and called it done; I doubt it was anything close to what the original development team had in mind for the game over a decade ago. So yeah, we'll probably never know if the true DNF ever sees the light of day. That's why I still use that line.

23dornot23d
February 21st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Gimp 2.7.4 was the last update in here ..... for the source code

ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/

and that was not recently .... http://ubuntuforums.org/moz-icon://.bz2?size=16gimp-2.7.4.tar.bz2 (ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.7/gimp-2.7.4.tar.bz2) 18165 KB 12/11/2011 07:09:00 PM
Is there any later updates anywhere else ..... or a ppa ......

Really looking forward to 2.8 ....... and have faith that something could be delivered

http://www.gimpusers.com/news/00339-gimp-2-8-scheduled-q1-q2-2011
and down to 3 developers ... according to the report above ...

I guess that there has been so much hype over this that they do not want to release something - without it being checked thoroughly .....

But we need something to check that is not 3 months old ...... if there have been any
more updates .... where can we find them

Does anyone know ..... ?

forrestcupp
February 21st, 2012, 03:39 PM
Gimp 2.7.4 was the last update in here ..... for the source code

ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/

and that was not recently .... http://ubuntuforums.org/moz-icon://.bz2?size=16gimp-2.7.4.tar.bz2 (ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.7/gimp-2.7.4.tar.bz2) 18165 KB 12/11/2011 07:09:00 PM
Is there any later updates anywhere else ..... or a ppa ......

Really looking forward to 2.8 ....... and have faith that something could be delivered

http://www.gimpusers.com/news/00339-gimp-2-8-scheduled-q1-q2-2011
and down to 3 developers ... according to the report above ...

I guess that there has been so much hype over this that they do not want to release something - without it being checked thoroughly .....

But we need something to check that is not 3 months old ...... if there have been any
more updates .... where can we find them

Does anyone know ..... ?
Here is the Gimp 2.7 PPA (https://launchpad.net/~matthaeus123/+archive/mrw-gimp-svn). If you're using 11.10, follow the directions and install the other two necessary PPAs, too. The PPA has 2.7.5, and it looks like it was updated Feb. 9th.

23dornot23d
February 21st, 2012, 08:28 PM
Ok thanks for that ... took a little more effort to get into 12.04

but its going ....

( and as before - the old scripts are not working this is a big downer for me - also I do not export jpgs )

Unless they are easy to replace or the functionality exists in the new version ....

Will see , maybe the script writers are still around and will update them ....

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/2272/waylando39.jpg

Ryupower
March 21st, 2012, 08:44 AM

Yes, Krita is a very advanced program, and yes, it had some features way before gimp (such as CMYK, which Krita had at least 3 years now..). It is indeed, awesome. The bashers here either haven't worked with Krita yet, or have tried using it for other purposes aside from Illustration/drawing.

HOWEVER,
The purpose of Krita IS to be more of a paint/illustration program. Gimp is mostly a Photo editor which is OFTEN USED for paint/illustration, as well as design. When I want to draw and make digital artwork I often use Krita, though as someone focused on Graphic Design, I have to say that Krita really lacks in Typography and photo features that I need (and so does Gimp, to a much lesser degree, though, and 2.7 which is a pain in the butt to get to run in ubuntu, has fixed some of that).

As for when 2.8 will be released...when Linux becomes Desktop Linux. I doubt it will be soon, 2.7 passed a few long deadlines as well, and for some reason is extremely hard to get ahold of.

forrestcupp
March 21st, 2012, 12:24 PM
As for when 2.8 will be released...when Linux becomes Desktop Linux. I doubt it will be soon, 2.7 passed a few long deadlines as well, and for some reason is extremely hard to get ahold of.

They actually recently showed a small amount of progress. So who knows? Maybe it will come out this year after all. I hope it's in time for 12.10.

Ryupower
March 23rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
They actually recently showed a small amount of progress. So who knows? Maybe it will come out this year after all. I hope it's in time for 12.10.

That would be sweet. But I wonder, why haven't they put GIMP 2.7 in the repositories? With a lot of hard work I could find a separate repository with gimp 2.7, but an ubuntu update removed mine and I can't use it anymore. :( It really wasn't THAT bad and I don't remember bugginess. (though the splash isn't very family friendly. LOL!)

madjr
March 23rd, 2012, 11:25 PM
I hate the way they handled 2.8

they should had release just the mono window UI and focus on all other stuff for 3.0+ ...

this is why i prefer faster development cycles were focus is on just one or 2 features.

Bandit
March 24th, 2012, 01:03 AM
LOL its been so long since a new stable release of GIMP I forgot what version I was still running.. hehe..

Guess 2.8 will be released when its ready.. :KS

Buovjaga
March 24th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Well, as prokoudine always says, you should just use darktable for photo work! I guess typography is still a focus for Krita, as they want it to be a solid comics creation app.

Erik1984
March 24th, 2012, 03:23 PM
When the new forum theme arrives ;)

23dornot23d
March 24th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Gimp is great as it is and suits some older Linux users ....

[rant]
Once the developers get everything running like windows users want - we might then be able to move to photoshop easily .....

Wish I was a billionaire - I would team up with Bill Gates and ask him what he wants changing in Linux to suit his users -

Seems thats already happening on lots of apps though .......
[rant over]

I am a Linux user .....
I do not need single window mode ..... ( I know I have a option here )
I do not want to export jpg's ...... ( in 2.8 .... there should have been a simple checkbox to tick .... jpg ... png .... xcf ...... save one two or 3 formats if needed )

But note I say SAVE ...... I am not exporting anything .....

I do want compatibility with the way I used to work and with the old scripts - so when 2.8 is released .... please keep the ability to load both ..... the older version and the newer version alongside each other .......

We just know this will not happen .... release of 2.8 can be held off forever IMHO
if they do not allow the older version to run alongside it too ...... :confused:

and for anyone who installed the newer version .....

I bet you did not remove the older version ...... and if you did - bet you had trouble getting the older version working again.

I Bet nobody can get PSPI working in 2.8 ...... if you can please post the How to ....

Hands up how many are sole users of the new version ...... ):P

forrestcupp
March 24th, 2012, 10:48 PM
When the new forum theme arrives ;)

Ha, ha. Now that Duke Nukem Forever is out, I guess we have to start saying that. :)

CarpKing
March 25th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Heh... My avatar is still tuned for the previous forum theme. Does it support avatar transparency yet?

I used to follow GIMP development a little obsessively, but then I took a break and when I came back I hadn't missed much. It's a shame that such an important project has so few developers.

philinux
March 30th, 2012, 12:24 PM
News just in. Well yesterdays.

http://www.thepowerbase.com/2012/03/gimp-2-8-so-close-yet-so-far-yet-so-close/

forrestcupp
March 30th, 2012, 01:59 PM
News just in. Well yesterdays.

http://www.thepowerbase.com/2012/03/gimp-2-8-so-close-yet-so-far-yet-so-close/

And today, it has been extended one more day. That guy obviously hasn't been following the chart very closely. It's not coming in May.

alphacrucis2
April 4th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Lookee

ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.8/

forrestcupp
April 4th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Wow! They made a lot of progress quickly. The targeted release has been steadily pushed back at least a day every day. I checked a few days ago, and the targeted release was at the very end of May. Since then (http://tasktaste.com/projects/Enselic/gimp-2-8), it's been bumped up to May 9th. That's pretty good progress.