PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 11.10 installation error

Dawn Gillingham
January 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM
Hello,

I am new to Ubuntu. I created a bootable CD to install Ubuntu 11.10, however during installation my computer froze for over 24 hours. Now not even my Windows XP Professional will load becuase I chose to install replacing Windows because it was an unauthorized copy of Windows that was already on the a machine I purchased from someone else.

Now all I get when I turn on the machine is a blank black screen with a blinking curser in the top left corner and it wont allow me to do anything.

Is there anyone out there that can tell me what I need to do to get it working? I am not sure if theis is where I would post or not or where to get help.

Thanks,
Dawn

mörgæs
January 21st, 2012, 11:17 PM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

I have moved your question to a separate thread and deleted your e-mail address.

In order to solve the problem, please give a complete hardware description.

Dawn Gillingham
January 21st, 2012, 11:42 PM
I just went to linux.com and downloaded Ubuntu 11.10 and created a bootable cd. I meet the requirements so I am not sure what you are asking me?

Dawn Gillingham
January 21st, 2012, 11:49 PM
and whereever you moved my message too I wont know how or where to go to to see any replys or if I just stay here. This is foreign to me.

The machine I am putting this on is a HP Pavillion 564w desktop. with 1 GB of Ram 80 GB hard drive and had Windows XP Professional on it.

Dawn

mörgæs
January 22nd, 2012, 12:15 AM
I moved your post to the thread, where it is now. You posted in a thread with an unrelated problem, since it was different hardware.

Your computer is some years old, so I would suggest Xubuntu or Lubuntu, though it meets the requirements for Ubuntu.

Which screen card does it have?

Since you are new, this might help you:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475