PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Duel boot - No GRUB

CC Inc
January 21st, 2012, 10:59 PM
Hi,
My system has 3 drives. My C: drive is Windows boot, my D: drive is Windows System, and E: is where I installed Ubuntu.
However, After going through the initial Ubuntu setup and rebooting, I would get Error: Cannot Find Device then displays a list of characters and goes into Grub Rescue. I have tried using Boot-rescue but it doesnt work.
How can I get GRUB to load and show my ubuntu and windows installs on seprate drives?

oldfred
January 21st, 2012, 11:09 PM
Welcome to the forums.

From boot repair post the link it creates for boot info script.

Yanni has created a easy way to download boot repair & run script:
HOWTO : easily create a Boot-Info summary
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11164270
Boot Repair:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
You can repair many boot issues with this or post the link to a run of boot info script so we can see your exact configuration. May be better to run the git/beta version of boot script as it has some fixes.

darkod
January 21st, 2012, 11:24 PM
I installed in E: sounds like wubi. Are we talking about a wubi install inside windows or a dual boot?

The procedures to repair and investigate depend on this. I am not even sure running boot-repair is used for wubi.

CC Inc
January 21st, 2012, 11:26 PM
No, it is a DuelBoot. Boot repair is extremely slow starting up for some reason though.

CC Inc
January 21st, 2012, 11:55 PM
Ok, here it is

http://paste.ubuntu.com/812427/

darkod
January 22nd, 2012, 12:29 AM
There doesn't seem to be XP OS detected on any of the disks. On which disk was it? The 82GB or 40GB disk? Or the 250GB disk?

If you set the 250GB disk as first option to boot from in BIOS, does it load ubuntu or not?

CC Inc
January 22nd, 2012, 12:34 AM
I cannot boot from the 250GB disk, and XP is on the 82GB disk.

darkod
January 22nd, 2012, 12:36 AM
From live mode if you try to open the /dev/sda1 partition, can it read the files? Can you see it correctly?

CC Inc
January 22nd, 2012, 12:38 AM
I think I just fixed that by installing the NTFS tools, and can mount and see the 82GB (I think thats the /dev/sda1), but not the other two drives.

darkod
January 22nd, 2012, 12:42 AM
OK, try this from live mode:
sudo apt-get install lilo
sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

It will give you some warning, ignore it, it's normal. That will write a general mbr on /dev/sda and if you set in BIOS to boot from the 82GB disk it should boot XP directly. Lets see if that works, we'll worry about the dual boot later.

CC Inc
January 22nd, 2012, 02:26 PM
Yes, that works but in ubuntu i cannot connect to Internet and cannot mount any ntfs drives.

darkod
January 22nd, 2012, 02:46 PM
You don't need to mount any ntfs partitions. Not to run those commands and write a generic mbr to /dev/sda.

Ubuntu should work fine with most wired connections. If wireless doesn't work by default, can you connect by cable and run those commands?

CC Inc
January 22nd, 2012, 02:50 PM
What's wired is that it can connect, but there is no Internet.

CC Inc
January 22nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
That is with wired by the way, and it was working earlier.

darkod
January 22nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Again, is this wi-fi or wired connection?

Usually if it connects to wi-fi the internet should work. If you say it's not, it might be something with the wi-fi router setup, but I guess other computers would not have internet also.

Anyway, if you haven't tried so far, try with a wired connection.

We need to see if XP will boot on its own, regardless of ubuntu or grub. I don't think it will. In that case, it's normal that grub can't find it to boot it.

So, at this moment, lets forget about ubuntu, dual boot, grub, internet, etc. If possible just plug a cable to your router, get the generic mbr installed on /dev/sda as mentioned above, set that disk as first option to boot from and see if XP boots. Or what error it will give if not booting.

darkod
January 22nd, 2012, 03:04 PM
That is with wired by the way, and it was working earlier.

OK, cross posting.

So you are trying from live mode and it doesn't work now, right?

And the computer can't boot both windows and ubuntu from the hdd, right?

CC Inc
January 22nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Sorry, yes i am using wired, and using your method it will say ntdlr is missing, or it will boot straight into XP without the xp bootloader.

darkod
January 22nd, 2012, 03:12 PM
I just noticed in your results file that it says XP was on /dev/sdb1, not /dev/sda1 (or at least its boot files were there).

That is the 40GB disk.

But XP is not detected anywhere, on any disk. And that is very strange. There are no XP boot files detected, and no XP OS detected.

darkod
January 22nd, 2012, 03:13 PM
Sorry, yes i am using wired, and using your method it will say ntdlr is missing, or it will boot straight into XP without the xp bootloader.

OK, so, it can boot XP?

Make another results file and post the link of the new one. Lets see it again.

CC Inc
January 22nd, 2012, 03:17 PM
I just noticed in your results file that it says XP was on /dev/sdb1, not /dev/sda1 (or at least its boot files were there).

That is the 40GB disk.

But XP is not detected anywhere, on any disk. And that is very strange. There are no XP boot files detected, and no XP OS detected.
What is very strange is that when I installed XP, it put my boot files on SDA, and system files on SDB.

CC Inc
January 22nd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Ok, here you go:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/813286/

darkod
January 22nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
OK, this looks much better.
Now, boot with the ubuntu cd in live mode, and execute:
sudo mount /dev/sdc5 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdc

That will reinstall grub2 to the MBR of /dev/sdc. Restart, enter in BIOS and set the 250GB disk as first option to boot from.
You should get a grub menu with ubuntu and XP in it.

I also notice some left overs of wubi inside /dev/sdb1 but that should not be an issue right now, you can remove them later. Lets see if we get the dual boot with grub2 working.

CC Inc
January 22nd, 2012, 06:57 PM
Ok, i can get into grub, but when I select ubuntu, the screen goes black, then the monitor turns off. Would that just be my ubuntu installation?

Edit: nevermind, after a minute my minuter turns back on and ubuntu starts.

What should I do now?

darkod
January 22nd, 2012, 07:00 PM
It might be a video driver issue. What video card do you have?

CC Inc
January 22nd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Intel® 865G x86/MMX/SSE2

So how can we get rid of the old WUBI install?

darkod
January 22nd, 2012, 07:28 PM
It doesn't look as a install, only traces of the wubildr.mbr and wubildr files, that make a virtual mbr of the wubi install.
First boot XP from the grub2 menu. If it shows a second menu with XP and Ubuntu, ignore that and boot XP from there. That is the leftover of wubi.
Once inside XP, open Add/Remove Programs and see if you have Ubuntu existing there. If yes, uninstall it like any other software. If not, just close Add/Remove Programs.

In XP, set the Folder Options to show hidden files, and open the /dev/sdb1 partition. The boot.ini file should be there. Open it with notepad and delete the line
C:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu" (ONLY THIS LINE!!!)
Save and close the file.

Reboot and try booting XP again. This time you shouldn't see a second menu, it load immediately after you select it in the grub2 menu.

Then again open /dev/sdb1 either from XP or ubuntu (better) and if they are still there, delete the wubildr and wubildr.mbr files.

That's it. The wubi traces are gone.

CC Inc
January 22nd, 2012, 07:39 PM
Ok, thanks for all of your help!

tstrick90
February 3rd, 2012, 05:09 PM
Dear Darkod;
Thank you very much for the help! I had the dreaded "No such device.....grub rescue" After installing Ubuntu on a 2nd HD in a Dell w/WinXP. Been trying to fix it for days! It gives me the choice now to boot from Win XP or Ubuntu. I used your fix from above: sudo apt-get install lilo
sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr You are the greatest, may god bless you and your home. Tina