PDA

View Full Version : video displaying

Hetepeperfan
January 21st, 2012, 05:53 PM
Hello everyone,

I want to display a video window (without sound). I've got this camera that provides me with a pointer to an unsigned char buffer. Lets say that i would like my camera to run at 50 Hz and provide me with 640*480*1 frame sizes. Then every pixel from the camera is one byte and represents luminance not color. I must allocate the buffers myself using the C++ new operator. Then I'll tell the camera which buffer to fill with data. So I can choose to have 10 buffers for example. Once I get a frame from the camera, I tell the camera API to fill my next allocated buffer with the next frame.
Now the question for which I can use sow advise is the following. I would like to see my camera frames in a window. Now what library could help me achieve to achieve this? I've been looking at FFMPEG and gstreamer. But gstreamer most strongly suggest not to inject you own data in a pipeline. Now what is the most efficient way to put my data from the camera on the screen.
I'm hope to find some advise here.

Kind regards,

Hetepeperfan
January 24th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Bump and rephrase:

The basic question is how can i get a video on screen, which library should i use?

Like I said before I have got a camera that presents me with grayscale frames. each frame is for example 640 * 480. That means that each frame fills a unsigned char* = new unsigned char[ 640 * 480 * 1]. I've got 10 of these buffers so I can save 10 frames in memory. I really would like to know how i can put these frames to my screen in a window. When the 10 th buffer is filled ( unsinged char** my_frames [9]) the camera fill the first buffer again.
I know I probably need to convert the image to RGB values, but i'm interested in showing these to the users of my program in real time/on the fly.

Has anyone any ideas what is the best tool for this job? Any help is very much appreciated.

kind regards,

Maarten