PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Install alternate from Linux

i71
January 21st, 2012, 12:17 PM
Is it possible to install Lubuntu alternate from Linux? There is a Ubuntu help page for Ubuntu here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux):

1. Copy your alternate ISO to the root of any partition that the installer can mount. You need to copy the ISO itself rather than the contents of the ISO.
2. Grab the initrd.gz and vmlinuz files
3. You will want to put these files in your normal /boot/ directory. It may be a good idea to create a subdirectory like newinstall.
4. Edit Grub
title installer
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/newinstall/vmlinuz
initrd /boot/newinstall/initrd.gz

Instead of vmlinuz I grabbed vmlinux from Ubuntu 11.10 (I did not found Lubuntu) and changed Grub according to this:
kernel /boot/newinstall/vmlinux

But the installation will not start. Will this work only for Ubuntu?

searchfgold6789
January 21st, 2012, 02:39 PM
Those instructions are old and probably won't work. Try these: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux

i71
January 21st, 2012, 04:13 PM
Well, this is exactly the URL from which I quoted.
First I tried the desktop installation, which failed after 5 min (only 256 RAM), then the alternate.
Did you mean the third method "Alternate CD Alternate Method"? Some steps I don't understand.
Earlier the installation from a CD failed obviously because of a cd drive failure (both desktop and alternate), therefor this attempt.

snowpine
January 21st, 2012, 04:18 PM
What Linux are you already running, and does it offer LXDE in the repos?

i71
January 21st, 2012, 04:20 PM
Puppy linux.

snowpine
January 21st, 2012, 04:28 PM
You install Puppy Linux but now you'd like to try Lubuntu instead, is that accurate?

Do you have another computer with a working CD drive (or the capability to boot from USB)? You can swap the hard drives, install Ubuntu, and swap the drives back (if you are comfortable opening up your computer).

i71
January 21st, 2012, 05:03 PM
I assume if all attempts fail, this will be the last choice.