PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Customization with Unity

markbahnman
January 21st, 2012, 12:15 PM
So I recently started using Ubuntu and I am trying to understand exactly how customizable Unity is. Can I completely change the color theme, the behaviour of the launcher and system tray, etc?

MG&TL
January 21st, 2012, 12:19 PM
So I recently started using Ubuntu and I am trying to understand exactly how customizable Unity is. Can I completely change the color theme, the behaviour of the launcher and system tray, etc?

Depends how much messing you're prepared to do. Install compizconfig settings manager, then click on the Unity plugin, to see some configuration options.

Also, see myunity, and you can also change a lot of things like pictures and textures in /usr/share/unity/

It's becoming a lot more configurable in 12.04, released in April.

markbahnman
January 21st, 2012, 12:30 PM
Depends how much messing you're prepared to do. Install compizconfig settings manager, then click on the Unity plugin, to see some configuration options.

Also, see myunity, and you can also change a lot of things like pictures and textures in /usr/share/unity/

It's becoming a lot more configurable in 12.04, released in April.Many thanks! I look forward to seeing how much messing I can do.

sffvba[e0rt
January 21st, 2012, 12:56 PM
Please note that changing many compiz settings can bork Unity (typical example would be activating the Compiz Cube effect).

So choose wisely and do some checking online if there where any issues (I am pretty sure there must be a post or two on this form outlining which work and which to avoid).

MG&TL
January 21st, 2012, 01:04 PM
Please note that changing many compiz settings can bork Unity (typical example would be activating the Compiz Cube effect).

So choose wisely and do some checking online if there where any issues (I am pretty sure there must be a post or two on this form outlining which work and which to avoid).

Yes, I should mention to only click on the 'Unity plugin' not anything else.

If you do wish to do anything else, you should follow this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager) guide.

corncob
January 21st, 2012, 06:39 PM

For a real change you might like to try "Enlightenment"

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1901791
Clicking anywhere on the desktop launches the applications menu.

MG&TL
January 21st, 2012, 07:00 PM
For a real change you might like to try "Enlightenment"

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1901791
Clicking anywhere on the desktop launches the applications menu.

Or any of the other desktop environments. Although enlightenment is...enlightening. :)

markbahnman
January 21st, 2012, 09:12 PM
Or any of the other desktop environments. Although enlightenment is...enlightening. :)
I've quite enjoyed openbox, scrotwm, and awesome. I like the idea of a heavily polished and integrated DE, but I also like emulating some of the cool things that people like gutterslob do.