PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Brit,s?

lucubrate
January 21st, 2012, 11:58 AM
Hello
I have been a member of this forum for several years now and have over time wondered where all the British developers are. Whenever I use or research a program the developers are understandably multi-national, where are those British developers.
Am I wrong in thinking there is a lack of British developers in this field or are they using sudo names when on program credits?

sffvba[e0rt
January 21st, 2012, 12:00 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Not a support request.

MG&TL
January 21st, 2012, 12:12 PM
Hello
I have been a member of this forum for several years now and have over time wondered where all the British developers are. Whenever I use or research a program the developers are understandably multi-national, where are those British developers.
Am I wrong in thinking there is a lack of British developers in this field or are they using sudo names when on program credits?

):P Not a full-blown developer just yet, but I help code for some projects.

Although, yes, I go under a pseudo name (generally), as I'm 15.

Maybe we're just quiet about how we come from such a rubbish country. :P

WorMzy
January 21st, 2012, 12:13 PM
I have been a member of this forum for several years now

Wat.

Also,

sudo names

lol. I think you mean pseudonyms.

What do you mean by "British developers"? Do you mean British Ubuntu developers, or just British Linux developers in general? Canonical Ltd. is primarily based in London, so I guess most of the British Ubuntu devs are there.

MG&TL
January 21st, 2012, 12:15 PM
Wat.

Also,

lol. I think you mean pseudonyms.

What do you mean by "British developers"? Do you mean British Ubuntu developers, or just British Linux developers in general? Canonical Ltd. is primarily based in London, so I guess most of the British Ubuntu devs are there.

Agree ^^

..although 'sudo names' has a nice ring to it. :D

satanselbow
January 21st, 2012, 12:31 PM
Agree ^^

..although 'sudo names' has a nice ring to it. :D

I just got "command not found" :( Do I need a ppa?

I'm sure there are plenty of "British" developers out there. Many developers use sudo names (sorry - couldn't help it) as their linux development activities are on a casual basis and wish to keep their day job activities separate... for tax reasons :popcorn:

szymon_g
January 21st, 2012, 02:36 PM
Canonical Ltd. is primarily based in London, so I guess most of the British Ubuntu devs are there.

i though it is/was based in Isle of Man o.O

forrestcupp
January 21st, 2012, 02:51 PM
So when you sudo an app, that means you're running a fake version of that app? Why did it take me this long to realize that? :)

(Had to keep it going)

sffvba[e0rt
January 21st, 2012, 02:52 PM
So when you sudo an app, that means you're running a fake version of that app? Why did it take me this long to realize that?

No, only when you pseudo an app.

Erik1984
January 21st, 2012, 02:54 PM

Maybe that's just for tax ev... eh ;)

PaulW2U
January 21st, 2012, 03:00 PM
Canonical Ltd. is primarily based in London,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millbank_Tower

Double.J
January 21st, 2012, 03:56 PM

Bit of confusion over Mr Shuttleworth and Canonical - Canonical is based out of london and a Ltd company - so inside the UK and the EU crucially, so subject to all the regulations and taxes that go with ;)

Shuttleworth lives on the Isle of Man.. which is an independent commonwelth "dependency" (island) between england and northern island, or wales and northern island which are all UK - the Isle of man is not, nor is it part of the EU. It is self governed but falls under the protection of the UK. Crucially residents do not pay British tax to Westminster (or indirectly the EU) and are not subject to the same laws.. such as speed limitations - see the manx tt!

Mark shuttleworth lives there for the sea air :shock:

grahammechanical
January 21st, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm not British. I am English. It is time to re-program Hadrian's wall.

Double.J
January 21st, 2012, 05:09 PM
I'm not British. I am English. It is time to re-program Hadrian's wall.

Let's not get too political..

I'm British... until the 4th, Then I'm England "Swing low..." ;)

lucubrate
January 21st, 2012, 06:46 PM
point taken, bit of a muppet. London is the head office run by a south african and whatever talent he has brought in. But the prog's mostly seem to be other nationals. I think what I am trying to say is there isnt enough here, in the 70's everyone seemed to be into it.

mips
January 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Bit of confusion over Mr Shuttleworth and Canonical - Canonical is based out of london and a Ltd company - so inside the UK and the EU crucially, so subject to all the regulations and taxes that go with ;)

Shuttleworth lives on the Isle of Man.. which is an independent commonwelth "dependency" (island) between england and northern island, or wales and northern island which are all UK - the Isle of man is not, nor is it part of the EU. It is self governed but falls under the protection of the UK. Crucially residents do not pay British tax to Westminster (or indirectly the EU) and are not subject to the same laws.. such as speed limitations - see the manx tt!

Canonical Ltd. is the parent company and registered in the Isle of Man. Subsidiaries are registered in other countries/territories like for example Canonical Group Ltd which is in London. The parent company Canonical Ltd. was registered in the Isle of Man for tax purposes (0% corporation tax) and subsidiaries created in order to operate in other territories.
So it's purely a money thing ;)

sabdfl might have a house in the Isle of Man but he lives mostly in London not to far from Millbank towers from what I recall.

jespdj
January 23rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Did you know there is a special version of PHP (http://www.addedbytes.com/blog/if-php-were-british/) for if you're British?

:lolflag:

forrestcupp
January 23rd, 2012, 05:07 PM
Did you know there is a special version of PHP (http://www.addedbytes.com/blog/if-php-were-british/) for if you're British?

:lolflag:

That's great. I liked the switch/case and class Republic ones the best.

MG&TL
January 23rd, 2012, 05:54 PM
I love that. Bookmarked! :D

Megaptera
January 23rd, 2012, 09:44 PM
I love that. Bookmarked! :D

+1 to that!