PDA

View Full Version : Evolution Of A Linux User

wolfen69
January 21st, 2012, 01:02 AM
Evolution of a linux user (http://humorix.org/10207)

Yes, this is very dated, (1999) but I think it is timeless in it's message. It's kind of spot on in a sense, for some of the more experienced users.

Btw, it's meant to be humor, so don't get all bent out of shape by the MS references.

I've gone through all the stages (there are 11) except the last one. I could only hope.

FuturePilot
January 21st, 2012, 01:36 AM
Humor or not, it's pretty darn accurate. I'm pretty sure all of use have gone through that Linux fanboy stage.

cprofitt
January 21st, 2012, 03:10 AM
It is in sore need of an update... the Rise of Apple needs to be accounted for, Android, iOS, etc.

wolfen69
January 21st, 2012, 03:52 AM
It is in sore need of an update... the Rise of Apple needs to be accounted for, Android, iOS, etc.

I actually thought of writing one, and using that article as a springboard. But the jist of it is timeless and understood by linux users.

BrokenKingpin
January 21st, 2012, 04:38 AM
I have read that article a few times over the years... spot on.

wolfen69
January 21st, 2012, 05:02 AM
I have read that article a few times over the years... spot on.

Yeah, it's funny how it "hits home". :-\" ;)

Frak
January 21st, 2012, 05:10 AM
After many years, I can happily say I've hit stage 10. I work with Linux every single day, but it's nothing special. The real world has a way of breaking zealotry and shaping you into a decent, moderate human being.

That said, being secluded from Apple products for so long, that doesn't really affect me, but I would like to see it updated with the Rise of Apple.

JDShu
January 21st, 2012, 06:47 AM
I actually had an initial "back to reality" phase before my "zealot" phase. Now I'm somewhere between stage 7 and 9. Hard to pinpoint with the descriptions given.

I love Linux as a platform and as somebody trying to be a programmer, I can't imagine using anything else. On the other hand, I've completely lost interest in Linux adoption by mainstream users.

wolfen69
January 21st, 2012, 06:54 AM
Now I'm somewhere between stage 7 and 9.

Stage 7. Linux Zealot

Your enthusiasm for Linux is unbounded. You do anything and everything to advocate Linux and spite your old master, Microsoft. Usenet, Slashdot, and LinuxToday are your hangouts. You have a strong opinion about the GNU GPL and you're not afraid to share it.

Linux World Domination is your new life's ambition; you put career, wealth, and dating on the back burner. You participate in flamefests against those braindead Windows lusers (stuck in Stage 3) that inhabit Usenet and ZDNet. You purchase all kinds of tacky made-in-Taiwan Linux merchandise (T-shirt, mouse pads, stuffed penguins, etc.) to show your support.

You rearrange books in a bookstore so that the Linux tomes are displayed more prominently. You get in trouble with your boss because you spend all your time surfing Slashdot at work. You petition your local government to migrate their computer systems to free software. You move to another residence just so you can say you live on Apache Street.

Instead of a novel, you read the Linux kernel source for pleasure. You establish your own regional Linux User Group in the hope that you can invite a guest speaker in the future and get their autograph. You learn Perl with the goal of automating common tasks, but you spend more time tinkering with "just one more perl script" than actually getting stuff done.

Stage 8. Back To Reality

Your zealotry subsides as you are forced to re-enter the Real World. Your boss demands that you submit documents in the latest Word format, nothing else will do. Some of your favorite websites become harder to use because they keep incorporating features enhanced for Windows and IE. The new peripherals you bought from BigEvilProprietaryCo don't work with Linux and probably never will.

Your ISP is acquired by another company, a very Microsoft-friendly company, to be exact. They "upgrade" the system; however, the only change you can notice is that Linux and PPP no longer work without extensive hacking. Then, citing "customer-driven demand", your ISP makes more "enhancements", and Linux no longer works at all. Calling their tech support is an exercise in futility, they simply say, "Linux? What is that? Whatever it is we don't support it, and never will. Go use Windows like everybody else."

Reality sets in: you are forced to use Windows more and more. Your blood pressure rises, you have more headaches, you waste hours and hours due to Windows "issues", but you have no choice.

Stage 9. Enlightened Linux User

Then you have an inspiration: you do have a choice, you can hack your own drivers for your hardware, you can find another ISP, you can get another job. Everything comes into focus, you have become a Linux Guru.

You kludge together drivers for your "Windows-compatible" hardware. You finally (after much searching) locate a local ISP that's actually run by competent geeks, not MCSEs and PHBs. You find a new, better job at a Linux-friendly company.

In your spare time, you work on various Open Source projects. You build up a reputation and receive "The Letter" to participate in the IPO of a Linux business. You join the bandwagon and create your own Linux portal website.

You're at the pinnacle of evolution for a Linux user. With much joy, you become 100% Microsoft free. You ditch your Windows partition and burn all of the Windows disks and manuals that you own.

Does this describe you?

sffvba[e0rt
January 21st, 2012, 06:55 AM
Brought a smile to my face :)

JDShu
January 21st, 2012, 07:05 AM
Does this describe you?

If I pick and choose :P For example, I do read the kernel source for fun and have a pretty solid opinions about the GPL. I also work on open source projects in my spare time and my current job is heavily Linux based. However, I'm nowhere near a Linux guru, nor am I interested in Linux World Domination.

wolfen69
January 21st, 2012, 07:05 AM
Brought a smile to my face :)

Yeah, but I'm wondering if those days might be a thing of the past. Well, of course they are. People in the future will look upon us like we look upon cavemen.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 21st, 2012, 09:54 PM
I used computers before Microsoft existed so I skipped a few of the steps. However, even if the article is old, it is still accurate in a humorous way.

Basher101
January 21st, 2012, 10:38 PM
this^

sixstorm
January 22nd, 2012, 03:44 AM
Good read, someone really needs to update it to 2012. ;)

christopher.wortman
January 22nd, 2012, 09:15 AM
It is timeless, however, it skipped step 12, while having a life you end up buying a Mac because you get sick of having to hack every driver, you now have a wife and children to worry about and the time you used to have to mess with Linux just isn't there and you would rather stick toothpicks under your toenails and kick a wall then use Windows.

MG&TL
January 22nd, 2012, 09:52 AM
I missed 0-3, mostly because XP wouldn't work, and I had a bizarre virus that manifested itself in perma-spam. So I hated MS for a bit.

IDK, maybe it does need updating a little. Perhaps a little more like the XKCD comic about the kid learning about linux. I think I'm currently on the 'enlightened' stage, even though I have none of the experience that comes with it. Perhaps that's ubuntu's fault. :D

No, brilliant article. :) Thanks wolfen.

nothingspecial
January 22nd, 2012, 10:06 AM
I work with Linux every single day, but it's nothing special.

I can assure you, it has absolutely nothing to do with me.

gacekssj4
January 22nd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Long way to go... I'm on step 2... :(

Double.J
January 22nd, 2012, 02:32 PM
Great read.. and very true - it took me 6 years from when I first tried to install linux and got RTFM'd back to from whence I came, to when I actually started using Linux as a primary OS.

Currently around stage 7/8... except mine's a "forked project" that doesn't mind Windows nowadays and definitely won't result in the fame and wealth of the dot-com bubble!

sixstorm
January 22nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
It is timeless, however, it skipped step 12, while having a life you end up buying a Mac because you get sick of having to hack every driver, you now have a wife and children to worry about and the time you used to have to mess with Linux just isn't there and you would rather stick toothpicks under your toenails and kick a wall then use Windows.

This. I am fortunate enough to have a mostly-Mac and problem free household. However, my wife and I are adopting a child soon and I barely have enough time now to tinker and tweak. I spend my work day putting out Windows fires all day long, so I'll be darned if I have to come home to that mess.

I still keep myself familiar with Ubuntu but I don't get the time I used to have with it.

Gone fishing
January 22nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
It's funny but old – in fact it shows how much Linux has improved, you can install from a CD having no idea what you are doing and it will probably work, including the networking.

I remember installing Coral Linux years ago nothing worked and I had no idea what to do.