PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys study art?

hockey97
January 20th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Hi, I need to learn how you guys draw. I want to make a website have an icy look to it.

I succeeded on the name of the website being written in ice.

Just that I need to look at how I can incorporate all icons and buttons to have an icy effect.

Is there any tutorials on how to make icons, buttons looks icy.

would using a glossy effect give it a look and appeal that it's ice?

UltimateCat
January 20th, 2012, 09:37 PM
GIMP might have that icy effect in the filters tab.

hockey97
January 20th, 2012, 09:47 PM
GIMP might have that icy effect in the filters tab.

No, there isn't an icy effect but there are effects where you can combine using them to create an realistic icy effect or ice effect.

I am able to do this with text. It looks very realistic.

now the problem is that I can use the same method with icons and graphics.

It just dosen't work... just works great with text other then that with icons and buttons.

If you ever looked at a froze ice cube where inside you see bubbles frozen. I want to incorperate that which I did with the text. Yet, in buttons and icons I want the icon but be like frozen inside the ice cube with bubbles.

I can't get this effect. needs to make it looks like it's 3d kinda. the only effect I can get is that it looks kinda like ice but it messes up the effect gives the icon a 2d ice effect which messe up the whole effect.

satanselbow
January 20th, 2012, 09:47 PM
hit google images / deviantart with your keywords (ie "ICE") find something (preferably a few)

Grab pencil, grab paper then... draw draw draw draw draw draw draw... etc you get the picture ;)

If you don't rate yourself as an artist just yet - practice ;) Short of original ideas? Borrow a few from other peoples work that you like - when you get more confident the ideas will come. Start small and think big :popcorn:

If you not got a tablet get one and practice on that too it can be an entirely discipline in itself ;)

Ryupower
January 23rd, 2012, 07:22 AM
I study Graphic Design at college, that's how I 'study'.
But...since one doesn't learn much there anyways...the internet is your friend!

Since GIMP has many(sadly not all, but enough for your uses) similarities with Photoshop, you can just look at some Photoshop tutorials for this problem. Here are some:

http://andreibilan.blogspot.com/2006/06/create-realistic-ice-effect-in.html

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/text-effects-tutorials/how-to-create-an-ice-text-effect-with-photoshop/

(The second one looks like this could be done for icons as well)

Have a great day! :)