PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do you change Ubuntu desktop to clear and uncluttered?

MissTina
January 20th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Is there a simple way to change Ubuntu-11's desktop, so there isn't anything on it whatsoever? I very much need an absolutely clean clear plain screen to do my work, without any distractions. The many colors and animations in Ubuntu's lovely state of the art desktop screen, sometimes makes me lose my train of thought while I create, develop, and write, rough new ideas for new science school textbooks. This cluttered desktop feels like it's fighting me a little. Can I run the new Ubuntu-11 with an old Ubuntu desktop configuration, without damaging the OS's functionality? Or is there another state of the art modern Ubuntu based OS that has a clear clean empty desktop screen, that runs as good as Ubuntu-11?

carl4926
January 20th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Possibly by installing Gnome shell
Then use the setting in the tweak tool to let the Desktop manage icons

Or there is Cinnamon.

snowpine
January 20th, 2012, 09:05 PM
You would love the openbox windows manager (easily installed from the Software Center). It's just a blank screen with no decorations or anything. The learning curve is a little steep, but worth it in my opinion.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Openbox
http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/

Alternately, you might be intersted in apps like Focuswriter that are designed to take over the desktop and eliminate distractions:

http://gottcode.org/focuswriter/

:)

lykwydchykyn
January 20th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Unity doesn't offer much in the way of customization at the moment.

What a lot of us do is run alternative desktop environments. The desktop-related functionality is sometimes different/less complete, but you can make the desktop look and behave just about any way you want it to.

Here's a good rundown of several available desktop environments:

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/06/overview-and-explanation-of-linux.html

All of those are available just by installing from the repository; you don't need to switch distros.

If you want something even more minimal, you can just run a window manager with a small selection of individual tools to fill in the missing functionality. That requires a little more skill.

Sounds like XFCE or LXDE might be a good to try first.

kansasnoob
January 20th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Is there a simple way to change Ubuntu-11's desktop, so there isn't anything on it whatsoever? I very much need an absolutely clean clear plain screen to do my work, without any distractions. The many colors and animations in Ubuntu's lovely state of the art desktop screen, sometimes makes me lose my train of thought while I create, develop, and write, rough new ideas for new science school textbooks. This cluttered desktop feels like it's fighting me a little. Can I run the new Ubuntu-11 with an old Ubuntu desktop configuration, without damaging the OS's functionality? Or is there another state of the art modern Ubuntu based OS that has a clear clean empty desktop screen, that runs as good as Ubuntu-11?

We really need to know if you're running 11.10 or 11.04.

But the answer to this question, "Can I run the new Ubuntu-11 with an old Ubuntu desktop configuration, without damaging the OS's functionality?", is yes in both cases.

It's more difficult in 11.10 because of the transition to Gnome 3 but I made some notes here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1886799

But that is only for 11.10!

grahammechanical
January 21st, 2012, 02:47 AM
I do not understand what you mean.

I have set the Launcher to Autohide. It is off the screen until I move the mouse to the left edge of the screen.

I have also set the top panel's opacity to zero so that it is transparent.

Apart from the indicators at the top right I have wall to wall and top to bottom background image. It looks great.

You get this effect with Unity through CompizConfig Settings Manager (CCSM) and its Unity Plugin. You can also reduce the size of the icons in the Launcher as well. You can make them smaller than the usual desktop icon.

Regards.

ubiquitin.jf
January 21st, 2012, 11:09 AM
You may benefit from using a tiling wm such as awesome, dwm or ratpoison.

Frogs Hair
January 21st, 2012, 04:48 PM
You can make your desktop as dull and utilitarian as you like . As written open box maybe a good option . If you are using Unity on 11.10 or 11.04 auto hiding the panel is one option . There are also some very pain flat themes that display no depth or dimension .

MissTina
January 22nd, 2012, 10:19 PM
There are also some very pain flat themes that display no depth or dimension .

The depth and dimension comes from my literary creativity, being much deeper and more dimensional than a computer OS can detail, is the restriction a dressed up desktop configuration applies, thus stifles to artist, as in boxes him or her into a package that is creativity negative and supressed. I suppose it all depends upon your personal definition of mundaine, and what you run the computer for. _____________ Super suggestions y'all. "Mercibowkoo" Next concern is, which is the best of the best Linux OS to install on this freshly "DBAN autonuked" hd? Took 3.5 hours for dban to erase that drive, but I'm confident it's clean, after I've pulled the battery a couple minutes. What's the best OS to run with for science and education, writing manuscripts, and for state of the art, e-art medium? As for all your wise suggestions. I have them all copied and loaded to this ebook reader, ready for an informative evening reading event, layback in the recliner, caressed by flows of candle light, incense, soft music, and a fine glass of "sipping red vermouth", lerning some more about the workings of computer operating systems. I note that one presented solution cautioned that the solution is good only for 11.10.. Does that mean that 11.10 is too evolved, or is deficient? Makes me wonder what be the difference between the last four previous Ubuntu 11's and 10's, compared to 11.10? I suggested in Ubuntu development blog, install ISO needs full user representative assortment of desktops, for varied tastes users to choose from. If I had that now, I wouldn't be searching for it, struggling with it, using up yesterday, today, and tomorrow on it, when a single click of the mouse, at start install would have taken care of it. Please note, that most seniors don't want to be forced to learn the insides of the computer, just to run one, but most of today's computer technologies require the user learn the insides of the computer, just to get the dern thing running like it should. Most seniors have lost the capacity to learn new high tech stuff, whilst they fall closer toward death. Your newness is like torture to them when they can't run it without exploring to learn the inner workings of it. And soon you will be a senior too, and complaining about the same black cultural stain. stinging their lives today. What's wrong with that picture? What's the very best OS in the world for older people? What's the second best?

kansasnoob
January 23rd, 2012, 12:47 PM
I note that one presented solution cautioned that the solution is good only for 11.10.. Does that mean that 11.10 is too evolved, or is deficient? Makes me wonder what be the difference between the last four previous Ubuntu 11's and 10's, compared to 11.10?

No deficiency at all :)

Ubuntu 11.04 and prior used Gnome version 2.*, whereas Ubuntu 11.10 uses Gnome version 3.*. (BTW the * is just a wild-card, indicating subversion, eg; 11.10 uses Gnome 3.2.1).

There has been quite a hoopla over the change to Gnome 3 because the default Gnome desktop is now gnome-shell, whereas Ubuntu decided to use their own new DE - Unity. As with anything new there have been those who love one or the other, and those who hate one or the other (or both).

Personally I prefer Unity on my 18.5" widescreen, but something more "classic" with only a bottom panel on my 22" widescreen. IMHO there is no "one-size-fits-all" desktop environment.

Please note, that most seniors don't want to be forced to learn the insides of the computer, just to run one, but most of today's computer technologies require the user learn the insides of the computer, just to get the dern thing running like it should. Most seniors have lost the capacity to learn new high tech stuff, whilst they fall closer toward death. Your newness is like torture to them when they can't run it without exploring to learn the inner workings of it. And soon you will be a senior too, and complaining about the same black cultural stain. stinging their lives today. What's wrong with that picture? What's the very best OS in the world for older people? What's the second best?

Not sure I can totally answer all of that but I do understand what you're saying. My visual acuity leaves a great deal to be desired and my memory stinks, so familiarity is of the utmost importance to me. I personally liked the much maligned Windows ME, it just seemed to work for me, and I found XP fairly easy to adjust to.

But due to a reversal of fortunes stemming from disability and divorce (in that order) I found the cost of new proprietary operating systems and computers simply beyond my means. Then participation in senior group activities led to the realization that many of my peers were in the same boat, in fact many were still stumbling by with Win 98, or had given up altogether since their old computers had died.

This was around late 2007 or early 2008, and some had decided to try the $200.00 WalMart Everex boxes with gOS but they largely found it unusable and confusing. Having toyed a bit with Linux as far back as the Lindows debacle I decided to have a look. I first tried Freespire as an alternative to gOS but simply found it lacking in a number of ways.

After much playing around I settled on a somewhat modified Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10) with only a bottom panel, using the Blubuntu theme. This seemed to satisfy nearly everyone and they told their friends, who then told more friends, and I now maintain about 40 PC's for seniors like myself.

Now, lets stop and discuss Ubuntu versions. A new version of Ubuntu is released every six months, that's why I asked if you were referring to 11.04 or 11.10. The version numbers are based on the date of release:

11.04 = April 2011 (04/11)
11.10 = October 2011 (10/11)

These "standard" releases are typically supported for 18 months.

Then every two years Ubuntu has an LTS release, LTS = Long term support. The last LTS was 10.04 which was released in April 2010, and it's supported until April 2013. The next LTS is 12.04 (due in April 2012) and it will be supported for a full five years.

Additionally the LTS releases have four "point releases" which do NOT require reinstallation or anything special in so far as upgrading. These "point releases" are just made available so someone can download an iso that has the latest updates to ease the installation/update process.

Since I maintain so many PC's I use only the LTS releases in most cases, although I've been involved in early testing since 2008. That allows me to keep abreast of the changes that are coming so I don't have a stroke ;)

Specific to you: No need to reinstall a different version ATM! But you should check to see which version you're running, have you used the terminal yet? If so just run the command:

lsb_release -a

One absolutely must know what version they're currently using, and at some point you almost must learn to use the terminal :)

Now, regarding desktop environments, you will have to explore on your own to determine which you prefer. One way of doing this is described here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

Just scroll down to "Playing Around" on the left side of the screen.

As far as exploring other distros you may enjoy browsing Distrowatch:

http://distrowatch.com/

I obviously prefer Ubuntu but that's just me. Linux Mint has seemingly soared in popularity but, while I wish them well, I simply detest many of their mint specific "tools".

Feel free to contact me via PM if you have more questions, and one last thing, you said:

layback in the recliner, caressed by flows of candle light, incense, soft music, and a fine glass of "sipping red vermouth"

I'm more inclined to kick back with a dog on each side of me, smoking a stinky cigar, sipping bourbon until I pass out :D

lykwydchykyn
January 23rd, 2012, 10:46 PM
Please note, that most seniors don't want to be forced to learn the insides of the computer, just to run one, but most of today's computer technologies require the user learn the insides of the computer, just to get the dern thing running like it should.

I can sympathize, but there's really only two ways anyone (Linux or otherwise) handles the desktop:

(a) "Here's our desktop environment, ready to use with no knowledge required. Hope you like it, because it's your only option."

(b) "Here's our default desktop environment, we put 90% of our effort into making it super pretty, fun, and usable; but there are some other options, and if you want to use them you're on your own with that."

Fortunately Linux, particularly distributions like Ubuntu, make it pretty easy to switch. A desktop environment is just a program, like any other program. Just
- install one that sounds good
- change your session to it before you log in

No knowledge of "inner workings" really required, other than how to install software or change your session at login.