PDA

View Full Version : Which distro should I get?

Duplicated
January 20th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I have (sort of) used Xubuntu in the past. Like its lightweight and simplistic GUI, but I wonder if there is another distro out there that would suit my taste better.

Wikipedia doesn't really explain (in detail) selling points in each linux distro. Is there a better place where I can look up each distro's purpose? Btw, I already visited a number of distro's main website, and none actually describe what the distro does besides news feed about that distro and the "Oh grab (download) me" button.

snowpine
January 20th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Welcome! :)

I think the site you are looking for is:

http://distrowatch.com

Also if you google "linux distro chooser" or similar, you will find some fun quizzes that people have made. :)

Lars Noodén
January 20th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Another point to make is that the distros only provide a set defaults which can be changed according to whim. By adding or subtracting packages and changing configurations you can make just about any distro into any other. So another approach might be to take a look at what's out there in regards to desktop environments, window managers, and applications and try some out with an eye to selecting the ones you like best.

QIII
January 20th, 2012, 09:01 PM
It is impossible for anyone to say what your best bet would be because we all pick our favorites for our own purposes, needs and aesthetic sensibilities.

Use something like VirtualBox and try a whole bunch of distros. Shop around. Pick the one that suits you best.

Duplicated
January 20th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Apparently, almost all of them pointed toward Ubuntu/Xubuntu again lol.

Guess it's back to Xubuntu for me again. Thank you for DistroWatch's link btw.

Edit: Haven't thought of checking each out with virtual machine before. Thanks for idea again.

And is 64-bit still unstable compare to 32-bit?

Zlatan
January 20th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Apparently, almost all of them pointed toward Ubuntu/Xubuntu again lol.

Guess it's back to Xubuntu for me again. Thank you for DistroWatch's link btw.

Edit: Haven't thought of checking each out with virtual machine before. Thanks for idea again.

Should be OK, I'd try 64bit if I were you

Duplicated
January 20th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Ok, thank you for all the inputs everyone.

cariboo
January 20th, 2012, 11:51 PM

I've been using a 64-bit version since Dapper, I've never found it unstable.

When Precise is released, you will get a 64-bit version by default, you specifically have to click on the 32-bit version if you want to download it.

With multi-arch now available, you can use 32-bit apps on a 64-bit installation