PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I need to disable my touchpad

wolfen69
January 20th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I have a Dell Latitude E5520, and everything works great, except I can't disable the touchpad. I've googled my brains out, but I can't find anything that works. Doing FN+F5 gives an onscreen indicator that it is now shut off, but it is not. I've tried tpconfig, and whatever else was available from the repos. Plus I've tried all sorts of command line voodoo from various sources.

I can usually find the answer on my own, but this time I'm at my wits end. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't move my laptop around, and use a mouse all the time, so it's getting annoying to accidentally hit the touchpad while I'm typing. Thanks for any help.

wolfen69
January 22nd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Bump

pbrane
January 22nd, 2012, 05:29 PM
I have a startup script running that disables the touchpad when a USB mouse is plugged in. Maybe you can use/modify this script to work on your laptop. I use this on a Dell Inspiron 1720 with a Dell USB mouse.

#!/bin/bash

# if a USB mouse is present, disable the touchpad
# if there is no mouse then enable touchpad and disable tapping

if [ "$(grep -e Logitech /proc/bus/input/devices)" ]; then
xinput set-int-prop "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint" "Device Enabled" 8 0
else
xinput set-int-prop "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint" "Device Enabled" 8 1
/usr/bin/synclient MaxTapTime=0
fi

sleep 2

exec $0

If you add this to your session startup it will execute every 2 seconds. There is very minimal load to do this. You can change the sleep time to suit you.

Doing this in a terminal

xinput --list

should get the name of the touchpad you want to disable. Setting MaxTapTime to zero will disable tapping. You do need to have xinput installed if it isn't already.

wolfen69
January 22nd, 2012, 07:56 PM
Thank you very much! Solved.

Btw, what is the significance of having it execute every 2 seconds?

pbrane
January 22nd, 2012, 10:06 PM
the only reason I have it running every so often is that when I unplug the mouse the touchpad activates within 2 seconds, if I plug in the mouse the touchpad disables within 2 seconds. It can be run manually as well. just comment out the last two lines.

It would be nice to use udev but I have never gotten that to work. Or better yet it should be a part of the mouse/touchpad software.

wolfen69
January 22nd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the explanation, and once again for your help. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. Cheers.