PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] So many options ...

sudo_rm_ignorance
January 20th, 2012, 03:55 PM
After over a year of running Ubuntu, I seem to still be able to boot into every kernel I've ever downloaded / updated to. I can still boot into kernels all the way back to 30.1! Consequently, in my BIOS menu (since I have Windows installed as well) I have about 25 options to boot into, including: Windows, Dell's partition utility, and the rest are various and sundry Ubuntu kernel revisions and their associated recovery modes. Is there a safe way that I can not have all of those appear every time? I don't even think I need the oldest ones anymore (I'd like to keep the most current + the two just before it); do I just remove the packages for the other kernels or what?

Thanks in advance ... :confused:

Frogs Hair
January 20th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I use the janitor / package cleaner in Ubuntu Tweak for removing old kernels . Use correct link for older versions of Ubuntu . http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

JOHNNYG713
January 20th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Safely clean your system like this !
Open teminal and run these commands !

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
wget Http://www.opendesktop.org/CONTENT/content-files/71529-ubucleaner.sh

sudo chmod +x 71529-ubucleaner.sh
sudo ./71529-ubucleaner.shThis will safely remove old kernels,clean apt cache, and all trash even from ~/.local and .local "root" ! I use it before building a .ISO ! Script will place a ubucleaner.sh in your home folder, and you can run it at any time to keep your system clean and up to date and running Smooooth !

Note: If a new kernel is installed, boot new kernel and test thoroughly before cleaning old one to insure all is well !! Then proceed as normal.
:guitar:
:KSCopy commands and save for future use !:KS

sudo_rm_ignorance
February 2nd, 2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the advice all, I will look into ubuntu tweak ...