PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] extracting file make system hang

madeel2
January 20th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Whenever I try to extract a compressed file by drag and drop, lubuntu get hanged. I can move mouse around but nothing works. In the end, I restart it by plugging off the electric supply.

The error I get is that permission is denied. Any help?

satanselbow
January 20th, 2012, 01:25 PM
... help us to help you...

What version Lubuntu?
What app are you using to extract (I don't use Lubuntu but the default is file-roller?)
Where is the archive located under your /home?
How large is the archive?
Where did it come from?
What file extension has it got? (zip/rar/tar.gz?)
Can you extract the file successfully at the terminal? (command line depends on file extension)

"Permission Denied" may be generated by a corrupt archive or attempting to extract it to a folder you don't have permissions too...

Bit more info required before anyone can diagnose it further ;)

marinara
January 21st, 2012, 06:03 AM
i have this bug also.
the workaround is don't extract with drag & drop.

nicedanmonkey
January 21st, 2012, 07:16 AM
I have the same problem in lubuntu 11.10. Usually pressing ctrl+alt+print screen+k will get me back to the login screen after everything freezes so I don't have to completely power off and restart.

madeel2
January 21st, 2012, 07:33 AM
... help us to help you...

What version Lubuntu?
What app are you using to extract (I don't use Lubuntu but the default is file-roller?)
Where is the archive located under your /home?
How large is the archive?
Where did it come from?
What file extension has it got? (zip/rar/tar.gz?)
Can you extract the file successfully at the terminal? (command line depends on file extension)

"Permission Denied" may be generated by a corrupt archive or attempting to extract it to a folder you don't have permissions too...

Bit more info required before anyone can diagnose it further ;)

It is Lubuntu 11.10. The program is archive manager. It was simply a pdf file encrypted in rar format. so file name was name.rar having size under 2MB. It was downloaded from my professor's homepage.

The permission shouldn't be issue as I am the administrator. Moreover, if I do right click and extract, it does it cleanly. The decrypted pdf wasn't corrupted at all. The problem is only in if I do drag and drop.

marinara
January 21st, 2012, 10:40 AM
This is the launchpad bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/891069

I think the devs asked me to build a debug version of x11, then attach the debugger, and print out the call stack. Either that or they asked me to go away. Not sure.

Luca Mangione
October 12th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I've a similar problem in unpacking the tlen plug-in in
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin
(pidgin-tlen-20101112.tar.gz)
I've mint 13
What have I to do to access the folder :confused:
Grateful for any help :)