PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Will it run: Acer Aspire 5349

Nico-dk
January 19th, 2012, 11:14 PM
I'm looking to but an Acer Aspire 5349 with the following specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron B800 / 1.5 GHz (dual core)
Chipset: Mobile Intel HM65 Express
Mem: 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM - 1066 MHz
HDD: 500 GB - 5400 rpm (no brand or model specified)
GFX: Intel HD Graphics (128MB dedicated)

I did a little research, and it seems everything should work fine with Ubuntu.

Would anyone care to share experiences and/or thoughts on running Ubuntu on this setup?

Anything I should look out for?

xyzzyman
January 22nd, 2012, 09:15 AM
It'll run, but I'm surpised there's 8GB's of RAM with such a weak processor. With the programs you'd be running on it you'll never use more than 4. You may never even use more than 2GB's.

Nico-dk
January 22nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks, and yes the cpu is a bit on the week side. The other laptop I'm considering is a Toshiba Pro S500.

AlanR8
January 22nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
I have an Acer 5742 and all is well. The only tweak was getting the brightness control to work properly, found at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1617362

lenooh
April 8th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Just bought an acer aspire 5349 (celeron B815, 2GB ram, 320 GB disk, 300), installed 12.04 beta2 and all works except the brightness. Using the trick posted above solves the problem.

I do however have a problem with skype, but at this point I am not sure whether it's a software or hardware problem. Skype works (ie. it runs), but I cannot make calls and audio does not work.

lenooh
April 22nd, 2012, 02:08 PM
After using the laptop for some time, I noticed that it is often very sluggish. It "freezes" for a couple of seconds quite randomly.

It seems the disk provided with the laptop is very crappy, cheap and it has a huge spin-up time. Ubuntu power settings (or maybe the manufacturers setting) seem to be very aggressive, which causes the disk to spin-down after a very short time, thus making the laptop freeze whenever the disk was needed.

Disabling disk spin-down seems to solve the problem:

sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda
but be warned, this will decrease battery life, and also it may damage your disk, if you drop your laptop or bump it somewhere.

The setting will be lost after a reboot.