PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one using LTS?

Rory_Pond
January 19th, 2012, 11:13 PM
:confused:

After looking around the forum, everyone is talking about 11.10, unity, gnome-shell, etc. I have not even tried these things because I only upgrade to the LTS releases. I'm still on 10.04.3LTS, and I won't upgrade until June or July after 12.04LTS will have been around for a while and most bugs ironed out. Is anyone else like me, or do all other users upgrade on every release? I think that's a bit careless, honestly. lol

ninjaaron
January 19th, 2012, 11:17 PM
yes

peter d
January 19th, 2012, 11:22 PM
You're not the only one. I use 10.04 on my desktop which is the machine Iuse principally for work. I shall upgrade to 12.04 when it becomes available, having tried it out on my laptop first.
However, I am running 11.10 on my laptop which is used mainly for leisure and only for work "on the the move."

OrangeCrate
January 19th, 2012, 11:24 PM

After looking around the forum, everyone is talking about 11.10, unity, gnome-shell, etc. I have not even tried these things because I only upgrade to the LTS releases. I'm still on 10.04.3LTS, and I won't upgrade until June or July after 12.04LTS will have been around for a while and most bugs ironed out. Is anyone else like me, or do all other users upgrade on every release? I think that's a bit careless, honestly. lol

I would guess there are a lot of users like you. I'm one. Also, there are not a lot of problems with the LTS versions, and as a result, I would expect that many of those users don't visit the forums very often. At my office we use only LTS versions. 6.06, 8.04, and now 10.04. All were/are rock solid. Personally, I look at the versions between LTS releases as developmental in nature.

DagonSphere
January 19th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Rory,

I too am on 10.04 LTS. For the reasons you've mentioned, also that I don't have time/desire to fix upgrade quirks every 6 months, or have the desire to reinstall.

Though I'm capable on Linux and Unix, I really like my computers to "just work" when I turn them on at night. :)

On a side note, I'm curious about your handle. Are you a Doctor Who fan?

DS

BlinkinCat
January 19th, 2012, 11:27 PM

By observing what is going on about you on the forums, you will be able to come to a conclusion regarding which OS you will choose after 12.04 is released. As for myself, I have been happily using Gnome Shell and Unity with very few problems.

Cheers - :)

overdrank
January 19th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Show of hands using 10.04
):P):P):P):P):P):P

saphil
January 19th, 2012, 11:37 PM
10.04 LTS on some production machines,
12.04 LTS on testing network
11.10 on my laptop

CharlesA
January 19th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Using 10.04 on my server and desktop installs.

Karlchen
January 20th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Hello, Rory_Pond.

The answer is: you are definitely not alone. And as others have confessed they are sticking to Lucid for the moment, we are more than two. :wink:

After looking around the forum, everyone is talking about 11.10Well, this is normal. Wait till April / May. Then everybody will be posting about Precise Pangolin as if there had never been an Oneiric Ocelot before.
A version like Lucid which was released almost 2 years ago is much less likely to cause any problems than a pretty new version like Oneiric Ocelot, in particular as it brought several major changes. Therefore more people will post problem reports concerning Oneiric than concerning Lucid.

So sticking to LTS versions is perfectly all right if you primarily expect your Ubuntu machine to get the job done. Therefore, it should be easy to guess which version will be found on my office machine.

Cheers,
Karl

malspa
January 20th, 2012, 12:11 AM
10.04 (along with some other distros) on my main pc.

11.04 on my (seldom used) notebook.

pr3zident
January 20th, 2012, 12:45 AM
10.04 lts - Desktop
11.10 netbook

Everybody seems to have the same set up ......

Dngrsone
January 20th, 2012, 01:29 AM
11.04 was a wash on my laptop, so I went back to 10.04

Whether I upgrade to 12.04 will depend on the state of Unity; I will at the very least install it alongside the 10.04 install until I decide it is stable enough to use on a regular basis.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 20th, 2012, 01:33 AM
I use LTS on my computers using Ubuntu when I just what them to work and I don't care how modern the applications are.

People post about problems they are having.

The currently supported LTS is 10.04. It has been around for 1 year and 9 months. Most people using it have solved any problem they had long ago. They haven't been posting about problems for over a year. That decreases the posts about LTS in the forum.

Many users tend to install the most current release. Most new users of Ubuntu don't know about LTS. I didn't know about LTS when I first tried Ubuntu. That increases the number of posts on the forum about newer release. Not because the newer releases have more problems; but, they are trying to find a solution for a problem they haven't encountered before.

People post about problems they don't know how to solve; therefore, with newer releases more people are posting about the problems they are having.

grahammechanical
January 20th, 2012, 03:11 AM
It does not matter to me if it is LTS or not I have been upgrading to each release as it comes out. Mind you, I test the new release in a spare partition before upgrading what I think of as my working Ubuntu (11.10).

Right now I am using 12.04 alpha. I shall upgrade my 11.10 in May and then turn my present 12.04 into 12.04+.

I have found this present 12.04 alpha so stable that I have been using it all time instead of just trying it out for a few minutes before reverting to my working Ubuntu.

This is my home machine. I do not do anything on it that might be called mission critical and my data is safe on its own partition. I do understand why some choose to stick with an LTS release. There is nothing wrong with that.

Regards.

Dragonbite
January 20th, 2012, 04:29 AM
I'm using 10.04 LTS on the family desktop because I needed something supported and not changing often. This is in part because my wife is not very technical and things constantly changing gets her flustered and that I did not want to have to keep supporting an upgrade every 6-12 months.

With the coming 12.04 LTS I would normally plan on switching to that one but since it is using the Unity interface I am going to be looking at alternatives (such as a KDE-base distribution like Kubuntu or openSUSE).

Something that helps my sanity is that I do upgrade my laptop more often, to keep abreast on changes and to see what, if any, are worth trying to update the LTS desktop for. For example, I did upgrade 8.04 LTS to 9.?? when I found it supported my webcam when 8.04 did not.

The one thing I don't like about LTS releases is that now almost going on 2 years, the application versions are feeling "old". I have to do some PPA work to upgrade applications like Firefox, and I see a large number of improvements in Shotwell and LibreOffice over OpenOffice.org versions.

As for my wife, she's finding "safe harbour" with Windows 7 for the time being. It is a shame but honestly if Microsoft Office 2010 was fully supported and capable on Linux that would be a game-changer. Wine didn't cut it when I tried running an older verson of Office (2000).

So no, you are not the only one running LTS, but come April I cannot guarentee there won't be one less.

Dngrsone
January 20th, 2012, 05:12 AM
I actually liked Unity, but it just wasn't working well for me when 11.04 came out.

I also had issues with Libré Office-- it wouldn't open Open Office Base files, even though it's supposed to be 100% compatible.

In fact, that could be a major problem when 12.04 issues-- I use this laptop for both home and work, and that database is critical.

I have no problems with Open Office, though and it is a good substitute for MS Office (and far preferable to the latest issue).

|{urse
January 20th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Right here buddy ^_-

I've been cut by the bleeding edge too many times lol.

Primefalcon
January 20th, 2012, 05:20 AM
I use 11.10 on my main Desktop though I usualy stay on LTS releases but 10.04 had crap support of my AMD card, well that's usualy the plan.... typically I see a feature I must have!... the only release I was forced to steer clear of was 8.10 I think... due to pulseaudio issues which is now awesome these days.... But I am planniong on digging my feet in and staying on 12.04.... I am tired of renstalling software

Wife is running 11.10 as well on her Desktop, and on our netbook we'e using 10.04... yep yep we're a Ubuntu household here!

Penguinnerd
January 20th, 2012, 05:22 AM
I've been using 10.04 since it was in Beta, and I haven't reinstalled my OS since.

It worked for me almost 2 years ago, and it still works for me. I'll probably procrastinate about upgrading even after support runs out.

Although I think Unity is on the right track, a better idea might have been for Canonical to simply fork and refine gnome 2, as opposed to creating a completely new DE. It would have certainly been a "head start", as well as a more gradual transition.

But I won't mind Unity once I have it installed. I'm more lazy than anything else.

Primefalcon
January 20th, 2012, 05:26 AM
Unity is nice.... especially if you install compizsettingsmanager and make it so it always shows and then tune the size of the icons right down.....

standingwave
January 20th, 2012, 05:31 AM
After upgrading every six months--and it was fun for a while--I decided to adopt the LTS schedule, because I'm more interested in just wanting thiings to work rather than living on the bleeding edge, I haven't decided what I'm going to do this April, if anything. I might stay on 8.04 as it will be supported for another year or I might move to the new LTS. Or try Mint or Kubuntu or something else. I'm just happy with everything working.

BBQdave
January 20th, 2012, 05:52 AM

Ubuntu 10.4 LTS is good. Debian 6 is Great :D

And Debian 6 is supported for a good while longer, so I can hang with Gnome 2. I found it to be more straight forward keeping my favorite programs up to date in Debian 6 than in Ubuntu 10.4 LTS.

Though Ubuntu LTS's are solid, and the upcoming U 12.4 LTS is supported for 5 years. Just not sure about Unity/Gnome Shell. So faced with that choice, may have to take Xubuntu 12.4 LTS for a spin :)

Dragonbite
January 20th, 2012, 06:07 AM
One problem I kept having with LTS releases was keeping my hands off of 'em! I would get the 6 month itch to try the latest and in the past it would break something (when I was running Gentoo) so my wife wouldn't know if the computer was working on not when she got up in the morning.

With the LTS, and my own system to "tweak" (and break) as I see fit, life has gotten a lot better. :)

tersogar
January 20th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Your are certainly not the only one. I use 10.04LTS on my main pc but add some ppa´s for LibreOffice, Seamonkey, Handbrake, Scribus, wine and Pidgin to stay current.

The reason is simple, I just like to enjoy using my pc for work as well as for leisure.

But in my VM I try others distros and versions including 11.10 and 12.04 to learn about Gnome3 and Unity which are a big change and also feel free to try new things.

A month or so after the release of 12.04 I will upgrade as long as I can use my favorite programs, if not it would be a little later.

bcschmerker
January 20th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Hardly; I use Ubuntu® 10.04.4-LTS with additional packages from selected PPA's (mozillateam/firefox-stable, openlp-core/release, ubuntu-clamav/ppa, ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates) and Kernel 2.6.35 (package: linux-image-generic-pae-lts-backport-maverick).

I'm currently biding my time getting parts for a clean install of 12.04, while Advance Micro Devices® (http://www.amd.com/) and nVIDIA® (http://www.nvidia.com/) catch up with the LinUX Kernel Project (http://www.kernel.org/) on support of their respective GPU's through at least Kernel 3.2.12 (which I found lacking in Kernel 3.0.0.14, package: linux-image-generic-pae-lts-backport-oneiric, as of December 2011); my hybrid Everex® will handle up to four SATA hard drives in its case (the current Gigabyte® GA-MA78GM-S2HP packs five SATA ports plus one PATA header).

pbpersson
January 20th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Using 10.04 on my production desktop. 11.10 on the laptop (Kubuntu).

My test desktop has an Ubuntu/Kubuntu 11.10 installation on it because I'm trying to figure out what configuration I want to use when 12.04 arrives and is stable. I am planning to start testing it in June and hope to move the production desktop to that version later this year.

I am too busy with other things in life to be upgrading every six months. I have no need to be on the "bleeding edge" and really appreciate the stability of the LTS versions. :D

BigSilly
January 20th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Missus is still on 10.04 on her laptop, but that's only because she hates me tinkering with it and having to back up her stuff. She has been warned however - come April, the new one is getting installed, so back your stuff up. I'm fed up of seeing her using Open Office. About time she started using Libre Office. ;)

Erik1984
January 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Lucid Lynx user reporting. I used to use 11.04 but stepped back.

Dragonbite
January 20th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I thought I heard something about 12.04 having Firefox, at least, updating more often since Firefox has gone into its rapid-release program.

As-is, my Firefox and Chromium browsers are considered "out-of-date" which is something I would hope would be addressed in 12.04. Otherwise, how "stable" will the LTS be if you need (or if the desire is large enough) to start including PPAs for everything? Then some PPAs no longer work, or you have to add them after the next refresh, etc.

bcschmerker
January 21st, 2012, 05:28 AM
I thought I heard something about 12.04 having Firefox, at least, updating more often since Firefox has gone into its rapid-release program.

As-is, my Firefox and Chromium browsers are considered "out-of-date" which is something I would hope would be addressed in 12.04. Otherwise, how "stable" will the LTS be if you need (or if the desire is large enough) to start including PPAs for everything? Then some PPAs no longer work, or you have to add them after the next refresh, etc.Ubuntu® Mozilla Team has a PPA solution at Launchpad™ to address this situation, as Mozilla® has moved on from Firefox® 3.6.25. Updates will be available in APT and Synaptic.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable
sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

SeijiSensei
January 21st, 2012, 09:03 AM
With the coming 12.04 LTS I would normally plan on switching to that one but since it is using the Unity interface I am going to be looking at alternatives (such as a KDE-base distribution like Kubuntu or openSUSE).

Kubuntu 10.04 was rather a mess. KDE 4 was still in fairly rapid development at the time and April, 2010, wasn't the best time to freeze the Kubuntu release. The 10.10 release in October of that year fixed a lot of the problems and is my current "LTS" version of Kubuntu.

I expect to move on to 12.04 in the spring, though. I'd like to upgrade to KDE 4.7, and the devs have had enough time to work out the kinks by now, I suspect.

The one thing I don't like about LTS releases is that now almost going on 2 years, the application versions are feeling "old". I have to do some PPA work to upgrade applications like Firefox, and I see a large number of improvements in Shotwell and LibreOffice over OpenOffice.org versions.

I use PPAs for perhaps half-a-dozen programs that are in continuous development like Firefox, Thunderbird, Handbrake, and mplayer2. I'll occasionally build something from source (mplayer/mplayer2 most commonly), but it's just easier to let someone else do the compilation and packaging for me. I prefer "official" PPAs like the one for Mozilla (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/+archive/ppa) apps or ones from trustworthy individuals like John Stebbins (https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archive/handbrake-releases) who releases Handbrake builds.

As for my wife, she's finding "safe harbour" with Windows 7 for the time being. It is a shame but honestly if Microsoft Office 2010 was fully supported and capable on Linux that would be a game-changer. Wine didn't cut it when I tried running an older verson of Office (2000).

I suggest you give VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) a look sometime. In "seamless" mode you can have both Ubuntu and Windows running on the same desktop. I put Windows in the VM with its panel bar at the top of the screen. I can then launch something like Access from the top bar and Linux apps from the KDE panel. They'll both appear on the same desktop. If your primary use of Windows is for Office 2010, you and your wife might find this a nice compromise solution. I would recommend having a minimum of 4 GB of memory if you follow this path so both operating systems have room to work.

WinuxUser
January 21st, 2012, 09:14 AM

Hi. There are plenty other users who use only the LTS support. That way, they can feel relieved for next five years. Even im planning to use the LTS support from now on when the ubuntu 12.04 releases. That way, less bugs= less fixes needed which ~happy linuxing.

Goodluck.
Regards,WinuxUser

stefangr1
January 21st, 2012, 09:53 AM
Under normal circumstances, I only update when an LTS release arrives.

If, however, I am forced to do a fresh reinstall due to other circumstances (like having bought a new computer, or having problems that could not be fixed as was the case recently), I update to the newest version if it has been around for a while.

Xnst
January 21st, 2012, 10:01 AM
As someone said before, 10.04 is rock solid and those people who use it have been using it for close to 2 years. There is not much to ask by then...

I myself use 10.04 at work with not hassle at all. My laptop runs 11.10 because of the wireless card that has no support in 10.04.

lucubrate
January 21st, 2012, 12:25 PM
Its a good move if you are after reliability. I am retired so have had time to check out the different distro's, I like Debian and Ubuntu older versions.Your in the safe zone whats wrong with that?

WinuxUser
January 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM
See that Rory__Pond, you ain't the only one to walk along here.... :)

Happy Linuxing.

Rory_Pond
January 21st, 2012, 04:34 PM
Heh, thanks guys. I just wanted to check, because I thought I was some sort of freak for not upgrading to the "latest and greatest". I'm only 16, but I've gotten far burnt out by distro hopping, reinstalling, etc. I just want it to work.

Now if only I could get my graphics chip to work without a proprietary driver, and still use most forms of digital media without ubuntu-restricted-extras. I hate having nonfree software on my machine. It almost makes me feel . . . dirty. :P

(Been using Linux since 2008; used 8.04 for a very brief time, used 8.10 for a bit longer. I only really got into it though at 9.04, and then I started experimenting with other distros. It gave me a headache. So I'm sticking with 10.04 until either 12.04 will work better for sure, or until 10.04 no longer has support.)

Missus is still on 10.04 on her laptop, but that's only because she hates me tinkering with it and having to back up her stuff. She has been warned however - come April, the new one is getting installed, so back your stuff up. I'm fed up of seeing her using Open Office. About time she started using Libre Office. :wink:

LOL. The second thing I ever did after installing 10.04 on here was to remove OO.o and install LibreOffice. The only thing that came before that was getting my graphics driver installed.

NorthernSuze
January 21st, 2012, 08:24 PM
One problem I kept having with LTS releases was keeping my hands off of 'em! I would get the 6 month itch to try the latest and in the past it would break something (when I was running Gentoo) so my wife wouldn't know if the computer was working on not when she got up in the morning.

With the LTS, and my own system to "tweak" (and break) as I see fit, life has gotten a lot better. :)

Yup, I can relate to the itch, only it was ME waking up to the downed computer. No one to blame, since the rest of the computers in the house are MACs... (How on earth do people manage to load a new OS with only 1 computer in the house?)

Since my desktop when down with senile dementia around the time 10.4 came out, I have stuck with the stable release; having a stable computer is more important when you don't have that second computer to fall back on when something breaks.

Like several others I'm not sure what I will do when the support runs out. My personal feeling: ubuntu is trying to be everything to everyone on every bit of new fangled gadgetry. Okay, okay, I'll admit it I don't do change (unity & gnome3). May-be I'm finally "old" and set in me old ways!

Suze loving 10.4's stability

user1397
January 22nd, 2012, 04:28 AM
I'm also using 10.04 and plan on doing so till at least 12.04, where I'll either upgrade or I'll switch distros (depending on how much I like unity/gnome-shell on 12.04. If I switch distros, I would first try kubuntu, and if for any reason kde doesn't play nice, then I'll re-consider another non-ubuntu based distro.

The only ppas I've added are libre office, firefox, and pinta.

I tried unity and gnome shell on 11.04 and 11.10, I really did give them a fair try, tried them for weeks each. But I still don't like them enough for my main machine, hence the comfortable and well-known lucid lynx.

Nkosi
January 22nd, 2012, 01:18 PM
Nope, I'm still hanging on to LTS and Gnome. Unity doesn't like my old laptop.

Phrea
January 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM
I'm also still using Lucid, and plan to until the release of 12.04.1.

Duncan J Murray
January 22nd, 2012, 09:30 PM
I'll add myself to the voice of those using 10.04.

I added repos for rhythmbox, firefox, chrome and libreoffice. My laptop (IBM T40) is trusty and I don't really want to upgrade it as it does everything I need, but it's graphics card won't run gnome-shell. I'm also not that keen on gnome-shell or unity. So I think come April, I'll just keep with 10.04..

My wife uses Fedora 16 and ubuntu 11.10 on a netbook. She uses it mainly for browsing, writing and some presentation stuff. Not really a power-user, but she has taken to gnome-shell.

When does 10.04 end support? Will the repos go after this time?

D

Penguinnerd
January 22nd, 2012, 09:43 PM
I'll add myself to the voice of those using 10.04.

I added repos for rhythmbox, firefox, chrome and libreoffice. My laptop (IBM T40) is trusty and I don't really want to upgrade it as it does everything I need, but it's graphics card won't run gnome-shell. I'm also not that keen on gnome-shell or unity. So I think come April, I'll just keep with 10.04..

My wife uses Fedora 16 and ubuntu 11.10 on a netbook. She uses it mainly for browsing, writing and some presentation stuff. Not really a power-user, but she has taken to gnome-shell.

When does 10.04 end support? Will the repos go after this time?

D

10.04 desktop support will end in April 2013. On the server, it goes to 2015.

The repos will be moved to old.releases.ubuntu.com.

Rory_Pond
January 23rd, 2012, 03:12 AM
10.04 desktop support will end in April 2013. On the server, it goes to 2015.

The repos will be moved to old.releases.ubuntu.com.

I really hope that Canonical will announce that they will extend the support until April 2015, just like all future LTS releases get 5 years. I would really like that, considering my laptop is just about perfect now. I don't want to upgrade to a Unity release, and I don't want to change distros, particularly, because those that use gnome are on gnome 3.x and I love my 2.x

Dragonbite
January 23rd, 2012, 05:47 AM
I really hope that Canonical will announce that they will extend the support until April 2015, just like all future LTS releases get 5 years. I would really like that, considering my laptop is just about perfect now. I don't want to upgrade to a Unity release, and I don't want to change distros, particularly, because those that use gnome are on gnome 3.x and I love my 2.x

I wouldn't hold your breath for that. While new LTS releases are getting the 5 year coverage, there is no compelling reason to extend 10.04.

When Microsoft extended XP's life, it was because Vista was doing so poorly. Now that Windows 7 has come out to good reviews and is even being accepted in the Enterprise market, they have no reason to spend their efforts keeping XP alive.

Unless 12.04 comes out really, really bad I doubt they have a reason to do anything for 10.04. Plus there are a lot of technology changes that they probably would prefer to move all of Ubuntu to, and not have to keep supporting older versions in the meantime. For example, unless they push a more recent version of firefox (not the kind you have to add hte PPA yourself), I'm sure both Ubuntu and Mozilla would be happy to kill the 3.x version and move on!

Welly Wu
January 25th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I used to use Ubuntu 10.04.3 64 bit LTS, but I have an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC and there were too many hardware devices and software packages that were not working right out of the box. So, I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit. Now, everything works right out of the box. The lesson that I learned is that upgrading to the latest version of Ubuntu is a worthwhile endeavor because the improvements and refinements in hardware compatibility and software features and functionality are worth the risk of living on the bleeding edge. Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS should be fully compatible with all of my hardware devices and the software packages that I use the most should work right out of the box to support the capabilities that I need. I might decide to stick with Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS, but I prefer upgrading to the latest version at the current time to make sure that bugs and kinks are quashed.

plurworldinc
January 25th, 2012, 02:51 AM
If you are looking for the most stable system you can have then the LTS is the best idea. I am running 10.04 on my media centers and work computers.

However all of my personal computers beside the two mentioned just gets upgraded with every new release for I can test out the latest and greatest as it is happening

julioneander
January 25th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Running 10.04 LTS as main distro on my personal and work desktop mostly because of Gnome2 (Unity and Gnome3 still break my head).

And running 10.04 LTS on servers because of the Long Term Support itself...

Regards.

Dragonbite
January 25th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Ok, now that Cinnamon has reached a 1.x point, and there are still 3+ months to continue to improve it, I may stick with 12.04 LTS for the desktop and set up Cinn. with the most gnome 2 like view.

I saw a screenshot of it and it looks pretty cool for the most part.

Incense
January 25th, 2012, 09:29 AM
The kid's computer has always run an LTS. It's just easier to manage, and it just works.

2CV67
January 25th, 2012, 03:29 PM
In my 5 years experience with Ubuntu, every upgrade is somewhere between a pain & a disaster.

So the question for me is whether it is better to have regular small pains using current versions or less-frequent but (presumably) bigger pains with big-step LTS upgrades?

I wish I knew the answer.
I wish even more that it was not necessary to know the answer!

My own strategy is to use current versions for all normal work, but to only upgrade at or after mid-season when at least most bugs are known & work-arounds are posted.
Then I keep a bare-bones LTS version which comes in handy as a life-belt when the main version screws up.
It is more convenient to use than the alternative Live-USB which I also keep handy.

IWantFroyo
January 25th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I use LTS releases all the time. More than regular releases, anyways. Lucid was a really good one.

KingYaba
January 25th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I use LTS releases all the time. More than regular releases, anyways. Lucid was a really good one.

A very good one. :D

SongOfMyself
January 25th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Not alone at all! My work/production machines only get LTS versions. Similar to others, my leisure machine uses the latest version typically.

aykoola
January 26th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Since i started Linux, i started with Ubuntu 10.10, had it installed for a couple of months and then did some hopping through all major distros.
I have now settled at Oneiric, but when the LTS comes out, i think i'll stick with it until my computer dies :)

TheNessus
January 27th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I have just got rid of 12.04 (upgraded from 11.10, 11.04, 10.10, 10.04 etc) and got back to 10.04. It's just "works", and while 11.10 was pretty solid for me, somethings were not right (though I adore gnome-shell). I'll upgrade to 12.04 few months after it is released, as it is basically 11.10 with a bunch of bug fixes and it is LTS.

psycosmyth
January 27th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Would use 8.04 if it were supported, hardware loved it. I re-install 10-4 periodically just to see current progress.

Just noticed the wealth of Dr Who fans here. :D

Slug71
January 28th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Typing this from 10.04. ;)

Will upgrade to 12.04 when its done.

as2000
January 29th, 2012, 07:23 AM
I have several machines scattered about the house running 10.04. My main is set to upgrade only to LTS. One machine is my testing bed which has newer versions on different drives. My server (which I have not been giving it much love) runs 10.04 server and will probably stay that way.

Fear not, LTS users are a plenty. ):P

sanscents
January 29th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I have 10.04 on my PC, with a Win7 disk also. My old laptop still has Jaunty, a friend is using it, but it is going to get a re-installation when 12.04 comes out.

My PC, well, I may be a bit resistant to change. I have till 2013 to decide. I'll procrastinate a bit longer yet :roll:

Linuxisfast
February 1st, 2012, 05:28 PM
10.04 LTS on my desktop machines, 11.10 on my laptop and netbook.

MoebusNet
February 13th, 2012, 01:01 AM
My 2002 Dell Latitude D800 with an Nvidia 4200 Go 32Mb video card has not been supported with the open-source nouveau driver since 8.10. That means I can't really take the new Live-CD versions for a spin because > Xorg 7.3 results in severe corruption of my pointer & desktop graphics.

I managed to get 10.04 running with the proprietary drivers, but I don't know yet if I'll be able to run 12.04 on it. I guess it'll have to be a clean alternate-install to find out (sigh)...

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to 12.04 for my new System76 notebook; some of the more irritating bugs in 11.10 should be ironed out (fingers crossed).

winh8r
February 13th, 2012, 01:16 AM
After I upgraded to 11.10 and had something of a personality clash with Unity , I installed the MATE desktop environment.

However , I was noticing that I just wasn't enjoying the move so I made a new partition and re-installed 10.04LTS , which is what I am using now, and like using and will continue to use until I cannot.

I can see the move coming in the future but for now I am happiest on 10.04.3LTS

jasonrisenburg
February 13th, 2012, 01:18 AM
My wife still uses 10.04 but she is a windows person.

Dragonbite
February 13th, 2012, 03:31 AM
My 2002 Dell Latitude D800 with an Nvidia 4200 Go 32Mb video card has not been supported with the open-source nouveau driver since 8.10. That means I can't really take the new Live-CD versions for a spin because > Xorg 7.3 results in severe corruption of my pointer & desktop graphics.

I managed to get 10.04 running with the proprietary drivers, but I don't know yet if I'll be able to run 12.04 on it. I guess it'll have to be a clean alternate-install to find out (sigh)...

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to 12.04 for my new System76 notebook; some of the more irritating bugs in 11.10 should be ironed out (fingers crossed).

Have you tried any other distros? I would hop between Fedora, openSUSE and Ubuntu because with each version and each release I had a varying degree of improvements and regressions with video support.

UltimateCat
February 13th, 2012, 04:00 AM
I have 10.04 and Ultimate Edition 2.7 on my home PC and I'm very happy with it.

The graphics are great!

MoebusNet
February 13th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Have you tried any other distros?.

Just Puppy Linux on USB-Live. I'll have to try out some different distros to see what works, I guess. Thanks for the suggestion.

screaminj3sus
February 13th, 2012, 07:08 PM
10.04 is a good release, but its just too old for many with more recent hardware.

TheFu
February 13th, 2012, 07:22 PM
No, you are not alone.

Sure, I play with newer releases inside virtual machines for a day or two, but generally prefer stability over "new" crap.

I have about 20 systems here running lots of different things.
* 6 run Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS
* 10 run Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS
* 3 run Windows (2 Win7, 1 WinXP) for very specific needs
* 1 runs TinyCore
* 1 runs IPCop (firewall/router)
* 1 runs XBMC on 10.04 (I think)
and there are a few VMs that get spun up for different purposes as required ... like I have an Android development VM just for that purpose.

Most of these run inside virtual machines.

Tried 11.04 and wanted to like it. Used it for a few weeks, but it crashed all the time.
Tried 11.10 for a day before going back to my trusty 10.04 LXDE. For me, it is about productivity, not eye candy.

LTS is my standard. I'd rather not be a beta tester anymore. I did that in the 1990s. Enough already.

samalex
February 13th, 2012, 09:21 PM

Your post is three weeks old, but if you're still hanging on then rest assured you're not the only one still running 10.04 LTS :) I decided long ago that I'd only run LTS versions on my laptop since those appeared to be the most stable, and generally they test things out rather well in the 3 releases between each LTS version so it's alittle more solid.

I'm not sure if that's the case now with all the changes I've seen recently with 12.04, so I may give it a shot but I'll have a MintOS or CentOS CD on hand just incase 12.04 LTS doesn't live up to expectations.

JRV
February 13th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I use 10.04 LTS on my primary machine, and I will be reinstalling when 12.04 LTS is released.

11.10 is on my other computers, except for one that is running 12.04 strictly for testing.

Dragonbite
February 13th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Your post is three weeks old, but if you're still hanging on then rest assured you're not the only one still running 10.04 LTS :) I decided long ago that I'd only run LTS versions on my laptop since those appeared to be the most stable, and generally they test things out rather well in the 3 releases between each LTS version so it's alittle more solid.

I started off with that intent... so far I am closest to being successful with the desktop but there are still a couple of months to go! ;)

I'm hearing a lot about changes going on with Unity and I don't know what is going to make it into the 12.04 LTS release but I am hopeful.

Chances are if 12.04 LTS is the way to go, I'll have it installed by June or July.

linuxyogi
February 14th, 2012, 12:44 AM

I am using 10.04 too. Never tried Unity. Used Gnome Shell in openSUSE & Fedora. I will upgrade when support ends for Lucid.

missmoondog
March 27th, 2012, 02:48 AM
i've been meaning to ask this question for quite some time myself, actually. maybe make a poll out of it some how?

i did use 10.04 for a good while, but as usually happens, i have habit of simply wiping stuff out and playing with something else.

i had considered doing just as OP is once they started doing the LTS versions and may again as the last 2 stable releases, 11.01 and now 11.10, have been absolutely rock solid on the 6 computers (4 laptops of which 2 are 64bit and 2 are 32bit, 2 desktops both 32bit) xubuntu has been on.

i can still get frustrated over some of the things in linux, but as long as i don't screw with things, xubuntu has been running just great.

troymius
March 27th, 2012, 03:09 AM
LTS Ubuntu 10.04 aka Lucid Lynx was the best desktop ever.

I switched some of my machines to Xubuntu just because I know that Gnome 2 days are numbered and I don't get along with Unity or Gnome 3.

Bandit
March 27th, 2012, 03:17 AM
I still have friends using 10.04LTS on their home machines.

Bandit
March 27th, 2012, 03:20 AM
LTS Ubuntu 10.04 aka Lucid Lynx was the best desktop ever.

I switched some of my machines to Xubuntu just because I know that Gnome 2 days are numbered and I don't get along with Unity or Gnome 3.

LL was a great release. Possible the pinnacle of all the Ubuntu releases, IMHO. Though FC17 and GNOME 3.4 is showing a great deal of promise as a replacement for it in the future.

troymius
March 27th, 2012, 03:28 AM
LL was a great release. Possible the pinnacle of all the Ubuntu releases, IMHO. Though FC17 and GNOME 3.4 is showing a great deal of promise as a replacement for it in the future.

Bandit, you are giving me some hope that Gnome 3 will be usable for normal work one day. My problem with FC is the lack of LTS releases though.

Bandit
March 27th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Bandit, you are giving me some hope that Gnome 3 will be usable for normal work one day. My problem with FC is the lack of LTS releases though.

I used to be skittish about using Fedora. But 16 has impressed me a lot.. Its stable, fast, easy to setup, even RAID was detected/set with no effort and most of all that got me. Yum seems rock stable as apt-get/dpkg now.. Which was my biggest worry. GNOME 3.4 was just released and they added a good handful of functionality back to the UI.

pookiebear
March 27th, 2012, 03:54 AM
still 10.04 here.

mamamia88
March 27th, 2012, 06:36 AM
always tell myself i wil but i don't have the patience. heck i usually end up upgrading on the beta release and end up regretting it. on windows 7 right now at least until 12.04. since the upgrade broke my wireless and i couldn't be bothered to fix it. will do a fresh install side by side when it's official

Peripheral Visionary
March 27th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I inherited an old computer that had Xubuntu 10.04 on it and it's been rock solid. Updating the few applications I use has been easy using a ppa.

The previous owner warned me against upgrading. The more I have read about it, the more seriously I take his warning. I'm still relatively new to Linux, but I think I'll follow my old Linux mentor's advice and just stick with LTS editions until they reach end-of-life before upgrading to the next LTS version. Besides, on this 8-year-old hardware, future editions may be too much even for Xubuntu. So I'll look at Lubuntu and other ultralights if this old box is still running by that time.

Pand5461
March 27th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Show of hands using 10.04
):P):P):P):P):P):P
I'm with you guys ):P
Have Lucid on my work laptop and Oneiric on home computer.
I'm going to upgrade to Precise on release, primarily because of newer versions of gnuplot, qtiplot and TeXmaker there (my must-have programs).

forrestcupp
March 27th, 2012, 11:57 PM
In about a month, most of us will be using one LTS or the other. ;)

farrinux
March 28th, 2012, 08:28 AM

I honestly think it's a matter of personal preference. When I first loaded Ubuntu (8.04 lts) I too thought that is what I would do. But then I realized that the newer releases had support for apps and or apps that I wanted to use and 8.04 did not. The next machines I brought on line have been on the rolling update.

santosh83
March 28th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I used Dapper Drake LTS (6.06) for 3 years and it was my most satisfactory Linux experience after the earlier RedHat and Mandrake years. :-) Was sorry to lose it, but the hardware finally died.

Then I used Jaunty briefly before moving on to Maverick soon after it was out. I consider Maverick a sort of "unofficial LTS" more for it's rock solid stability rather than support, which is ending quite soon in April I believe. :-(

Without a doubt I'll replace it with 12.04 sometime during this year, as I like using the computer for long periods of time without having to fiddle with it, or re-install things. :-)

Nightstrike2009
March 29th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I don't blame you if I'd stuck with 10.04LTS I wouldn't have had the grief and flustration and eventual permanent distrohop that resulted.

IMO 10.04LTS is the best Ubuntu Canonical ever made, since then its been going backwards, I hope that 12.04LTS corrects this. :-(

nutrapi
March 29th, 2012, 05:44 PM
LTS on all my servers!

Dry Lips
March 29th, 2012, 05:45 PM
10.04 on my server... Will soon be 12.04!

GreenWhite
March 30th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I'm on 10.04 LTS. Have been using LTS only all along, except for 5.10 Breezy Badger years ago.